Why Your Next 4WD Should be a Right Hand Drive

haven

Expedition Leader
Easier to parallel park in USA as well. Not so safe to pull out from that parking space, however.

Any ExPo readers care to share their experiences driving a vehicle with the steering wheel on the "passenger side?"

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
And chicks dig it!

I'm not kidding. I had a right-hand drive ex-post office Scout right after I got out of high school and the chicks dug it.

(But then again...chicks dig anything Jeep-like that has the doors and roof removed...so maybe that had more to do with it than riding on the wrong side.)

Not mine, and mine was 4x4 and had a full top, but the same truck. Looks like this one has the same "V-8 sawed in half down the middle" engine that mine came with:

http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/auctions/detail/160552629788/

RHD on American roads was no problem except for passing, which I never did anyway until after I installed a small block Chevy. Even then, hardly ever. Parallel parking is a breeze, but pulling out into traffic afterward definitely has a bit of a pucker factor.

96Delica

Adventurer
I've been driving my RHD Delica for a few years now, the only issue is turning left in an intersection. Sometimes you just can't see around the vehicles facing you and you just have to wait. Not be able to see clearly if you need to pass, well, passing isn't always an option anyways with the small diesels.

Also, depending on where you live and what you get, insurance can be a nightmare!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'll take the Scout!!!

Scouts rule! I have 2. Left hand drive.

I've driven left and right hand drive rigs. The shifting was no problem for me as I ambidextrous (no joke). The only thing I had to get used to was when I was at a busy intersection on the inside left turn lane, I went to turn and noticed it was harder to see where the center divide was. Whereas in a left hand drive vehicle it is much easier to see the center divide. Simply look out and down.

Edit: Someone beat me to it!

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I drove a RHD Wrangler a couple of years ago. It was an automatic so I didn't need to worry about shifting. I only drove it for a short while but it would give me headaches. Actually driving down the road wasn't hard, it just,messed with my brain too much.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I dunno, maybe if I'd tried it thirty years ago. The muscle memory is pretty firmly ingrained now. It'd sure be fun to see some spotter go ******!

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I've been driving my RHD Delica for a few years now, the only issue is turning left in an intersection. Sometimes you just can't see around the vehicles facing you and you just have to wait. Not be able to see clearly if you need to pass, well, passing isn't always an option anyways with the small diesels.

Also, depending on where you live and what you get, insurance can be a nightmare!

Put a camera on your left mirror looking forward, so you can see what's coming on the left at the intersection.

T.Low

Expedition Leader

I researched vans hard until I decided on which one would be the best fit, so I know very well that Delicas are rhd.

Yet, when I am returning north from Seattle and inevitably see a Canadian Delica heading south from Vancouver, I always find myself saying, "Hmm, cute girl driving the Delica".

Next month, "Hmm, cute girl driving the Delica".

Next month, "Hmm, what's up with all these Canadian cuties driving Delicas...oh yeah, duh, that's not the drivers seat..." ;)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
There are a bunch of LHD desiel Land cruisers here. I know of 5 4 doors, and 1 2 door right off the top of my head. The same guy who has a brown diesel 4 door has a diesel converted FJ40 as well.

Tinfish

Observer
I've driven left hand drive vehicles in right hand drive countries, and it sucked. Passing is unsafe unless you have a passenger as a spotter, and as noted intersections can be a pain. I wouldn't do it again except by necessity, and I say that as someone who is equally comfortable driving on the left or right -- it's a pain to be driving from the wrong side of the vehicle relative to local traffic and there are a bunch of safety issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles