NV Ride....In Memory Of The Crewmen

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above.....

A couple dune buggies crossing a stream.

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

Sky's are starting to turn nasty and the temperature is dropping rapidly....Hmmm...

DSC07048.jpg

We reach Yellow Rock Canyon right as it starts to rain. We all stop at the abandoned shack to put on the cold weather gloves and rain cloths.

Arriving at the shack.

DSC07052.jpg

Hey...this will make a great kick stand!

DSC07053.jpg

DSC07054.jpg

DSC07058.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

DSC07056.jpg

DSC07057.jpg

Foundation to a long lost cabin or ?

DSC07055.jpg

After leaving Yellow Rock Canyon we started to climb in elevation. The trails were absolutely beautiful....unfortunately the rain was making them take on the consistency of a well greased baking pan! The trail was not only slick but the mud will pack onto your bike so thick it will lock up your chain, front wheel etc.

The bikes are handling like a humming bird with a bowling ball duct taped under one wing!

It was slow going for a while.

DSC07063.jpg

DSC07066.jpg

DSC07062.jpg

DSC07064.jpg

2012-06-04_16-31-51_691.jpg

2012-06-04_16-31-55_668.jpg

2012-06-04_16-31-58_935.jpg

2012-06-04_16-32-04_855.jpg

Oh yeah...this has to be good for the bikes lol.

2012-06-04_16-32-12_965.jpg

2012-06-04_16-32-30_508.jpg

2012-06-04_16-32-20_717.jpg

Continued Below.....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above....

Mud and more mud....

DSC07070.jpg

Hey Trevor....Look at the camera....It's for prosperity LOL.

DSC07067.jpg

DSC07069.jpg

DSC07068.jpg

My rear tire.

DSC07065.jpg

Here's a short video of Andy riding a slick section of mud like a pro!

The last of the nasty mud...back on a solid trail!

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

After this picture the weather turned really cold and our tracks took us right up to 7500' where we were riding in snow! It was starting to get dark and we were all cold and hungry, not having eaten since breakfast in Denio Junction. We look at the tracks and find the fastest way down off the mountain to try to get to Gerlach before Dark, a nice hot shower is sounding pretty good at this point! We are all really glad we took on fuel at Soldier Meadows since are tanks are starting to look pretty low.

We didn't tank any more pictures after the mud section, it was just to cold and we were all concentrating on making it to Gerlach before dark...the prospect of camping in the snow at 7500' wasn't to enticing!

Gerlach! We made it in right before Bruno's restaurant closed and had a great meal. We got some rooms at the Bruno's motel and settled in for the night.

DSCN0229.jpg

Trever found a hose and decided to get some mud off his bike....I was to tired to care and figured I'd get it off in the am.

DSC07072.jpg

Another great days riding!!

End Day 4

Miles on Bike: 2086
Hrs on Bike: 74.9

More to come!

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Day 5 - June 5th.

Miles on Bike: 2086
Hrs on Bike: 74.9

We woke up after a good nights sleep at the original roach motel lol. It was a fresh day and Trever was starting to get over his PTMD (Post Traumatic Mud Disorder!) LOL. The weather had turned cold and nasty, the high country was covered in a fresh blanket of snow! We decided to clean up the bikes a bit and head to Bruno's for breakfast.

Our haven out of the weather for the night....I decided to throw the sleeping bag on the bed instead of using the 1940's sheets lol.

DSC07082.jpg

DSC07077.jpg

Lots O Mud!

DSC07076.jpg

DSC07079.jpg

DSC07080.jpg

Breakfast at Bruno's.

DSC07086.jpg

We warmed up, ate a good breakfast and decided on a game plan. Trevor's shoulder was bothering him and our planned tracks would take us right up into the snow within minutes. Our detour back north earlier placed us in the way of the cold front, we were trapped. We could hit pavement and bomb south until we hit warmer weather but then we would be pinched on time to get back. Or we could ride north and base camp at the Alvord Desert, explore some abandoned mines and soak in the springs. With the weather cold and rotten we changed plans again and decided to head north... Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Trever and Mark would take a separate route, pick up Marks truck and meet us in Denio Junction. The rest of us would double back through Soldier Meadows.

We filled the bikes with fuel and rolled out for adventure.

DSC07095.jpg

Alan on the move.

DSC07092.jpg

DSC07093.jpg

Andy ready to head out.

DSC07091.jpg

We decide to cut across the Black Rock Desert and check out another Hot Springs on the way to Soldier Meadows.

DSC07097.jpg

A little time for playing on the Playa :)

DSC07104.jpg

DSC07113.jpg

DSC07115.jpg

Couple posing shots

DSC07099.jpg

DSC07100.jpg

Rolling out for the springs.

DSC07117.jpg

Right as we arrive at the springs the road turns to the gumbo mud that we were riding in yesterday. I manage to get sideways and drop the bike as I roll to a stop....Sorry didn't get any pics lol.

DSC07129.jpg

DSC07128.jpg

DSC07123.jpg

DSC07122.jpg

Another quote from a settlers diary.

DSC07127.jpg

The springs.

DSC07135.jpg

Right after I took this shot I slipped walking down the hill and packed my camera up with mud! Luckily it was the back side of the camera and after some time with some baby wipes everything was fine again.

DSC07132.jpg

Continued Below.....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above.....

With the prospect of riding numerous miles in more gumbo mud we turned around and headed back across the Black Rock to the gravel road on the other side.

A ways up the road we came across the license plate art display and stopped for some pictures.

DSC07143.jpg

DSC07147.jpg

DSC07149.jpg

Doing a little repair work on a fallen piece of art.

DSC07156.jpg

DSC07154.jpg

DSC07145.jpg

I decided to leave my own piece of art on the display :)

DSC07162.jpg

Alan pointing at the snow above soldier meadows that came in over night.....bummer, that's where we were heading.

DSC07152.jpg

2012-06-05_11-18-26_822.jpg

A quick stop at soldier meadows, we were hoping to catch Kathy home but she was still away on business. We chat a bit with the ranch hand and continue north.

DSC07166.jpg

There is some great riding in the hills above Soldier Meadows....but with the snow we decide to stay low and continue north to Denio Junciton.

DSC07165.jpg

I stopped along the road to take some pictures of the snow...cold!

DSC07171.jpg

DSC07172.jpg

Getting close.

DSC07174.jpg

DSC07179.jpg

The Pueblo Mountains above Denio Junction where we placed the Memorial Plaque on the first day....now dusted with snow.

DSC07176.jpg

Back at Denio Junction...ready to warm up and get some grub!

DSC07183.jpg

A Syncro Vanagon at Denio Junction when we arrive, owned by a nice couple from Oregon.

DSC07181.jpg

We arrived just after Trever and Mark arrived...Perfect timing! We all grabbed a bite to eat then will load up the bikes and move the trucks up to the Alvord.

DSC07185.jpg

Yummmm!!!

DSC07188.jpg

Ok....which one is out of place for the NV desert? lol.

DSC07189.jpg

And a few shots from Trever and Mark's journey north to Denio Junction.

2012-06-05_13-04-26_189.jpg

DSCN0245.jpg

DSCN0248.jpg

DSCN0244.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
These are some cool rock formations!

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

Would make a great shelter in a pinch!

DSCN0234.jpg

Back to Denio Junction. We loaded up the bikes and rolled to the Alvord Desert. We had planned on riding up to the mines above the desert and I was going to show the guys the old miners orchard that resides up there as well....But. When we arrived at the Alvord Hot Springs we find this...

The entrance road that leads to the mines, orchard etc is blocked and fenced off! This is also the spot where a lot of people camp that stop to soak in the springs. Hmmm......

DSC07195.jpg

The dirt access road the connects the lake bed to the springs is also blocked off. To get to the lake bed you now have to drive a mile or so down the gravel road then drop onto the playa from there....no more riding up from the playa for a quick soak.....this sucks!

DSC07194.jpg

Later at Fields Station we learn the scoop. The Alvord Hot Springs is on private property and they let the public use the springs...but the owner is wanting the BLM to take over liability of the springs as well as install a bathroom at the site. I guess he hasn't got it yet so he closed off the road and the entrance to the hills....the hills are BLM but the entrance is on his property. If he doesn't get the bathroom etc then he might shut down the springs all together. That would be a real shame...such a cool place to visit and enjoy a soak. I hope it all works out in the end.

Well we can't ride up here where we were planning either....we decide to take a nice soak then roll for home, we will return again to complete our original 1700 mile loop!

DSC07198.jpg

DSC07200.jpg

There are two pools at the Alvord Springs. It looked like someone had just finished cleaning out the "outside" pool and the hot water pipe was still open to it when we arrived...it was WAY to hot to soak in. The inside pool was warm but not hot...to cold for me to want to get in since it was really cold and windy outside. Something had to be done to cool down the outside pool!

Where there's a will there's a way! Inside each pool are several washing machine drums turned upside down for seats, in a pinch they can become buckets to scoop cool water to the hot side! Oh yeah....Nice hot soak here we come!

DSC07201.jpg

The piping that brings the hot water down to the pools from the source.

DSC07212-1.jpg

Panorama of the springs, Amazing scenery!

DSC07207.jpg

While I waited for the hot pool to cool a little I checked out the inside of the changing room, here's a shot of a memorial left for Carl. Carl lived down the road from the Alvord Springs and did a lot of maint and upkeep at the springs. He knew the area very well and was very friendly....rest in piece Carl!

DSC07208.jpg

DSC07209.jpg

Trever is first in the hot side. It was still HOT but you could get used to it and get in eventually. The heat felt great!

DSC07214.jpg

Mark instantly turned into a lobster! lol.

DSC07216.jpg

After the soak we left the Alvord, headed to Fields for fuel and rolled towards home. At Fields a young Ukrainian women named Elena was getting fuel and was asking how to get to British Columbia, she was on the way up from Vegas to visit friends. Not wanting to get lost she joined our caravan towards WA and was now part of the RR....Smile for the camera :)

DSC07217.jpg

Every time we stopped she would stop with us. She followed us till John Day and we convinced her to stop and get a hotel for the night while we continued on, she had been on the road a long time and looked pretty drowsy.

DSC07218.jpg

We arrived home around 2am. Another trip in the books.

Can't wait to return to NV again....I love that area!!!!!

End Trip.

Miles on bike: 2225
Hrs on bike: 78.0

I'll post up some of my other ride reports soon. :friday:

Hodakaguy

fisher205

Explorer
Good Report and Great ride. I really need to get down to Nevada and explore. I think it gets less attention(except LV and Reno) than all the other states.

Rumpig

Adventurer
Nice read and lovely pics aswell, cheers for posting that up.
A fantastic idea and nice work by you guys to erect that memorial plaque at the crash site also

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Awesome report. So is the whole trip something a 4x4 truck can do? From most of your pictures it looks like the majority of the trails are easily accessible for 4x.

Guri

Explorer
Looks really fun ride and better plaque to honor the people in the airplane.
Well done!
Thanks for sharing.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Awesome report. So is the whole trip something a 4x4 truck can do? From most of your pictures it looks like the majority of the trails are easily accessible for 4x.

Thanks guys, it was a great trip for sure.

A lot of this trip could be explored by 4x4, I'd say the good majority of it. There are a few sections that only a bike is going to be able to do but there are work arounds via 4x4. Ideally if you could carry a bike with you on the 4x4 you could base camp and ride out to explore the canyons etc....I'm thinking about doing the very same thing in the future. Ton's of very cool country to explore down that way!

Hodakaguy

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Good job on the memorial. Thanks for doing that. Looks like an epic ride, thanks for sharing. Might get down that way next spring and check out the memorial.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Way to go. What a great trip and kudos for the memorial.

I was up in that area a couple years ago on the way to Bend and wanted to explore some of that area. Thanks for showcasing some of the places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz