NV Ride....In Memory Of The Crewmen

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Hi Guys....I'm new to the site so thought I'd post up a couple of my past ride reports so I'd have something to contribute. :)

It was Hot....Then it was COLD!

The Plan: Do a 1700 mile loop through NV with 5 riders in 7 days, exploring abandoned mines, ranches and history as we go. The tracks were made, the bikes were prepped and we were ready to head to NV for our 2012 Adventure. We picked early June this year hoping to beat the heat and ride in nice green scenery (it might be a gamble since the weather forecast is looking pretty iffy the closer we get to blast off time). There would be four riders leaving on the 1st and a 5th rider meeting up with us two days later out on the trail some where.

This year I had a special theme for this trip with an idea that started during our last summers ride in NV....What is is? Keep reading below.....

We loaded the bikes and hit the road!

The Crew......

DSC06981.jpg
Trever.....AKA: Novacaine. Riding a KTM 530 XCW

DSC07090.jpg
Andy....AKA: Rommpy. Riding a KTM 450 EXC

DSC06509.jpg
Tom.....AKA: Hodakaguy. Riding a KTM 530 XCW

DSC07216.jpg
Mark....AKA: KnightRider. Riding a KTM 450 XCW

red.jpg
Alan....AKA: Mamacone. Riding a Honda XR650R

Overview of our tracks.

GPSTrailNV2012.jpg

Day 1. June 1st, 2012.

Miles on Bike: 1306
Hrs on Bike: 53.5

We were at the mini mart at 3:30am, trucks are filled and we roll towards NV. The last week has been nuts...tons of last minute prep. Andy's 530 lost a crank seal 2 days before we left, leaving him two days to transfer everything from his fully prepped 530 to his wife's 450 EXC so he could make the trip. A last minute rider (Mark) was added to the trip giving him a week to prep his bike....he had to order the desert tank, luggage, GPS etc and get it all set up in a very short time. He would also be leaving a day and a half later than us and would try and catch us somewhere out on the trail, he will watch our SPOT tracks with his iphone and try to intersect us some where on the trail.

Let the adventure begin!

DSC06033.jpg

A stop at the historic French Glen Hotel along to way to stretch our legs. More info on the Hotel Here: CLICK HERE

DSC06057.jpg

The Steens Scenic Loop in the background...still closed due to snow. The bikes won't be this clean for long!

DSC06049.jpg

At French Glen I check the bikes to make sure they are riding correctly....and find oil leaking from my counter sprocket! Dang! Oh well, I brought a spare seal so I'll change it out in Denio. I turn to Trever and say "Man, my counter sprocket is leaking" and he says "or your friends poured oil on your frame at the last gas stop" LOL. Ok...that was pretty good! At least I don't have to worry about changing the seal out now :lol3

DSC06058.jpg

Trever picked up necessary refreshments

DSC06065.jpg

A long stretch of Highway with water on both sides....pretty cool.

DSC06040.jpg

We arrive at Denio Junction, NV. We will leave the trucks here and head out on adventure! We off load the bikes and do last minute prep.....load bikes, fill camel packs, etc.

DSC00016.jpg

Trever holding up two of the 5 bags of concrete that we will be carrying on the bikes...50 lbs total! Hmmmm........

DSC06067.jpg

Trever loading his two bags of concrete in the Giant Loop....could it be that the huge desert tank is causing the front end to feel heavy and he's trying to lighten it by adding weight in the rear?

DSC06070.jpg

My bike loaded up with the special cargo for the trip....it sticks way out on each side of the bike so I'll have to be careful not to catch it on sage brush along the trail. I think I may have just set a new luggage weight record on a 530 LOL.

DSC06076.jpg

DSC06077.jpg

Trever giving Andy the last bag of concrete.

DSC06073.jpg

We left Denio and headed into the Pueblo mountains with our special cargo. The weather was perfect, maybe a tad on the warm side as we climbed in altitude towards our destination.

DSC06082.jpg

One of the many cattle fences that we would have to stop, open then close along the route. These are scattered everywhere out here.

DSC06086.jpg

Trever waiting at the fence crossing......with all the heavy gear plus the added concrete the bikes are handling like a humming bird with a bowling ball duct taped under one wing :lol3. Good thing we have radiator fans...they are getting a work out today!

DSC06087.jpg

A view looking up into the mountains....the GPS is up and purring, just follow the yellow brick road :)

DSC06088.jpg

And we Climb and Climb....

DSC06097.jpg

DSC06098.jpg

Cruising up the trail...trying not to snag a sage brush :)

DSCN0038.jpg

Continued Below.....

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued from above....

Alan letting his bike cool down and taking a break before the final steep rocky climb.

DSC06104.jpg

Climbing the final hill

DSC00024-1.jpg

DSC00026-1.jpg

We arrived at the WW2 B-24 Liberator Crash Site, our first destination of the day.

DSC06108.jpg

DSC06105.jpg

Everyone showing up at the site.

DSC06112.jpg

DSC06178.jpg

The flags are still standing proud on the radial engine.

DSC06114.jpg

DSC06119.jpg

We get right to work unloading the cargo...happy to get all the extra weight off the bikes after the steep climb.

DSC06118.jpg

Trever starts digging the hole we are going to need to plant the cargo.

DSC06117.jpg

We all take turns digging the hole, luckily the ground is less rocky than anticipated and the digging goes easily.

DSC06124.jpg

DSC06125.jpg

We insert the cargo into the hole and start mixing the 50 lbs of quick setting concrete to permanently lock it in place.

DSC06133.jpg

DSC06131.jpg

DSC06138.jpg

I added stainless steel tubing to the bottom of the post to help lock it in the concrete. I really wanted it to withstand the winds and weather it's going to have to endure up here.

DSC06129.jpg

And the Sign is planted and finished. :clap During last summers visit to the crash site I started thinking about making a memorial plaque to place at the crash site. I really felt that the story of the planes crash as well as the names of the crewmen that lost their lives serving our country needed to be told. Visiting the crash site last year without this information made the experience feel incomplete. After returning home last summer I obtained the names of the crewmen that were on board that fateful night then Andy and I split the cost to have a laser engraved stainless steel plaque fabricated to place at the crash site. After receiving the plaque I fabricated a heavy stainless steel sign assy to mount the plaque on so it will last for years to come. One of the highlights of this trip for everyone involved was planting the memorial plaque.

Click here for a PBS documentary on the crash site: CLICK HERE

DSC06327.jpg

DSC06160.jpg

A photo of the memorial plaque, I added pop rivets around the outside of the sign to give it more of a aircraft feel.

DSC06323.jpg

A waterproof guest book box was added to the sign so people visiting the crash site can write down their thoughts and feelings on the site. There is a water proof tablet stored inside.

DSC06158.jpg

DSC06176.jpg

And I entered the first entry into the book. If you visit the site make an entry into the log book, and please don't remove anything from the site!

DSC06174.jpg

And a group photo around the sign.

DSC06333.jpg

With the plaque installed we decided to explore around the crash site. I'll post quite a few pictures here of the crash site.

Looking back at the bikes. One of the 4 twin-row, 14-cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-1830 "Twin Wasp" 1000HP radial engines, with one of the main landing gear legs and wheel in the background.

DSC06280.jpg

Continued Below..........

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Day 1...Continued from above.

A piece of a tire...it's amazing how well the desert preserves items like this.

DSC06202.jpg

One of the 4 super chargers laying at the crash site.

DSC06213.jpg

A large piece of wing buried in the ground. You can see the control linkages as well as a small drive sprocket.

DSC06216.jpg

Some kind of hydraulic unit...I wish I knew what some of these pieces went to.

DSC06225.jpg

??

DSC06236.jpg

The plane burned when it crashed into the mountain side....the heat was intense!

DSC06242.jpg

Another engine.

DSC06239.jpg

Landing gear assy.

DSC06267.jpg

Main gear wheel....melted out.

DSC06270.jpg

Another super charger assy.

DSC06248.jpg

The debri field is huge...lots of little pieces scattered along the hill side.

DSC06263.jpg

Self shot :)

DSC06291.jpg

Andy at the top of the hill...soaking in the view.

DSC06312.jpg

Engine close up

DSCN0060.jpg

Andy snapping a picture

DSCN0067.jpg

Trever holding a chunk of melted aluminum....I wonder what part this used to be?

DSC06141.jpg

Looking back on the entry road

DSC06313.jpg

Looking down on the crash site from the hill side above.

DSC06189.jpg

Trever spies something....

DSC06205.jpg

DSC06206.jpg

A huge rattle snake...

DSC00039-1.jpg

Nose wheel gear.

DSC06299.jpg

Engine/super charger assy.

DSC06308.jpg

Another super charger assy

DSC06282.jpg

DSC06283.jpg

Continued Below.....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued from above.....

Melted Jug

DSC06274.jpg

Heavy piece of armored plate...wonder if it protected a fuel tank, or ??

DSC06272.jpg

Another engine

DSC06300.jpg

Piece of heavy cast aluminum and some wiring.

DSC06228.jpg

The other main gear assy.

DSC06258.jpg

DSC06260.jpg

Looking into the distance

DSC06187.jpg

???

DSC06221.jpg

Checking out the wreckage

DSCN0074.jpg

More melted aluminum.

DSCN0072.jpg

After checking out the crash site we got back on the bikes and headed twords Bog Hot Springs to camp and soak....we've all been up since about 2;30am and had a long drive plus the ride, we are all ready to relax for the night.

Heading down the hill we see rain showers off in the distance, the weather has cooled down quite a bit since we first arrived at the crash site and the ride down is great.

DSC06343.jpg

Looking back at the crash site in the distance.

DSC06345.jpg

DSC06348.jpg

Alan at another gate on the way down from the mountain.

DSC06340.jpg

Trever dropping down into the valley below.

DSC06349.jpg

DSC06351.jpg

We arrive at Bog Hot Springs and set up camp...ready for food and a soak.

DSC06360.jpg

My camp setup, I start charging my Iphone and camera batteries.

DSC06370.jpg

Andy's and Trevor's camp

DSC06391.jpg

The sun setting on the hills....Beautiful!

DSC06395.jpg

A panoramic of the hot springs...water in the desert!!

DSC06377.jpg

Everyone headed to the springs...I decided to eat first then join the rest in the nice hot water.

DSC06362.jpg

DSC06365.jpg

Doesn't get any better than a hot flowing river!

DSC06383.jpg

DSC06388.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above....

Alan heating up dinner.

DSC06379.jpg

DSC06382.jpg

Alan's fan and GPS power stopped working today, we decide to operate and find out what's causing the problem. Turned out a wire came disconnected under the tank....got to love easy fixes!

DSC06398.jpg

DSC06399.jpg

Storm clouds are moving in..and there is lightning in the distance.

DSC06375.jpg

I manage to catch two lightning strikes with my hand held camera.

DSC06412.jpg

DSC06414.jpg

I decide to try and frame the bike in a lightning strike picture...but the sky starts opening up and rain starts pouring down. Not wanting to get the camera wet I retreat to the tent for the night. It was a great day of riding today...can't wait till tomorrow!

DSC06421.jpg

End Day 1
Miles on bike: 1338
HRS on bike: 55.1

LOTS MORE TO COME!

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Day 2 - June 2nd.

Miles on bike: 1338
HRS on bike: 55.1

We woke up to a beautiful sunny morning at Bog Hot Springs, packed up the bikes and prepared for another awesome day of riding!

Steam off the springs

DSC06424.jpg

Camp.

DSCN0086.jpg

I found this little surprise under my tent...at least it wasn't in my tent!

DSC06430.jpg

Trever rode up to see the source of the spring....notice the one sandal lol.

DSCN0088.jpg

We left Bog and headed to Denio Junction one last time to top up on fuel, eat a good breakfast and ditch the shovel at the truck.
Trever lost a sandal on the way back from the bomber so he will also pick up a extra pair that I had in my gear bag.

Trever and his one remaining sandal lol. (video snap shot...sorry about the quality).

vlcsnap-00001.jpg

A day of incredible riding! We departed Denio Junction and headed north into Oregon, we will then angle back into NV.

DSC06434.jpg

DSC06436.jpg

DSC06439.jpg

DSC06441.jpg

Orange Coolaid in the Desert.

DSC06444.jpg

Here they come.

DSC06460.jpg

DSC06457.jpg

We come across a cool old ranch and stop to check it out.

DSCN0094.jpg

The Ranch

DSC06464.jpg

DSC06466.jpg

Someone had some skill working with rock. Amazing.

DSC06479.jpg

DSC06481.jpg

DSC06470.jpg

DSC06473.jpg

What's left of a wooden wagon.

DSC06486.jpg

Andy taking a ride.

DSC06485.jpg

A little further up the road was another old abandoned building....wonder what the story behind this one is?

DSC06491.jpg

A home brew implement along the trail. Looks like it was maybe used for ??. The axle on top looked like it was used to raise/lower something.

DSC06494.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above.....

Back on the trail.

DSCN0108.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg

We stop on a hill to soak in the view.

DSC06518.jpg

The snow covered Steen's and Alvord Desert in the background.

DSC06504.jpg

My ugly mug :)

DSC06509.jpg

The view in the glasses.

DSC06512.jpg

Andy found out his new camera doesn't charge the battery via USB.....he's now using the Droid.

DSC06516.jpg

Alan enjoying the view....LOL.

DSCN0115.jpg

Back on the trail again.

DSC06523.jpg

DSC06529.jpg

DSC06530.jpg

DSC06534.jpg

The Views were incredible...no matter how much you looked you couldn't soak them all in.

DSC06553.jpg

DSC06557.jpg

Andy getting ready to snap some pictures as the bikes roll by.

DSC06568.jpg

Stopping for a snack.

DSC06602.jpg

DSC06599.jpg

And back on the trail.

DSC06616.jpg

DSC06624.jpg

Soon we come across an abandoned mine with huge tailing piles. There is a large mill works here, I love checking out sites like this. I would love to see pictures of it back in it's hay day.

DSC06684.jpg

I roll up to the mine and wait for the others.

DSC06638.jpg

DSC06669.jpg

Andy pulling up to the site.

DSC06637-1.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above....

Alan rides up to the top of the tailing pile.

DSC06639.jpg

DSC06640.jpg

DSC06641.jpg

DSC06642.jpg

We hop off the bikes and check out the site. The mine is called the Opalite Mine and was used to produce Mercury. The Opalite Mine produced a total of 12,367 flasks of mercury (a flask is equivalent to 76 pounds) between 1927 and 1961, with the vast majority of the production occurring before 1943.

DSC06687.jpg

It had to be a big undertaking back in the day to haul all this concrete this far out in the desert.

DSC06643.jpg

DSC06649.jpg

DSC06653.jpg

DSC06654.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

Lots of relics litter the site.

DSC06648.jpg

DSC06647.jpg

A audit close to the mill site...I'm sure with tailing piles this big there are more audits in the area.

DSC06662.jpg

At the base of the mining operation lie a couple old cars. I'm amazed that it's still preserved this well, must not be a lot of drunks with guns out here. I wonder when the last time it moved under it's own power was.

DSC06673.jpg

DSC06675.jpg

DSC06674.jpg

A tire from the car.....amazing stuff like this last's this long out here.

DSC06671.jpg

Remains of a truck of some sort....I wonder if this truck hauled supplies to the site when they were building the mill?

DSC06681.jpg

DSC06680.jpg

We left the mine site and headed to Mcdermitt, NV for fuel and lunch. After fueling up we found the Snack Stop and stopped for a burger. I filled my hydration pack up with water and put a 1.5 liter bottle in my pack as well, I had been out of water since we left camp this morning and I was really thirsty at this point!

DSC06690.jpg

We had good cell service here so we called Mark to find out where he was at. He was getting ready to leave home (still 9 hrs away) and would watch our SPOT tracks and try to intersect us some where. To save time he would drive his truck as close to us as he could get then unload the bike and catch up with us.

Here Trever is talking to Mark and trying to figure out approx where we will meet up with him.

DSC06696.jpg

Trever hamming it up for the camera

DSC06699.jpg

We left Mcdermitt with full stomachs and full tanks of fuel.

DSC06700.jpg

DSC06702.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above.....

One of the many stream crossings on the trip.

DSC06714.jpg

DSC06716.jpg

Shortly after one stream crossing Alan got stuck in some large sage brush....luckily he was trapped just long enough for me to get my camera out :)

DSC06723.jpg

DSC06721.jpg

DSC06727.jpg

Alan on the BRP

DSC06735.jpg

Another stop for a photo op. :)

DSC06740.jpg

DSC06756.jpg

1.jpg

DSC06758.jpg

DSC06762.jpg

DSC06763.jpg

A little further up the trail we come across another old abandoned ranch. A lot of work went into building these old houses. Who lived here? What a hard life it must have been.

DSC06773.jpg

DSC06764.jpg

The windows haven't even been broken out....not many teen age derelicts out this far I guess lol.

DSC06768.jpg

Ready to light.

DSC06769.jpg

Needs a little remodeling.

DSC06771.jpg

The rare two hole outhouse :)

DSC06781.jpg

Andy trying it out

DSC06778.jpg

After leaving the ranch we headed to our destination for the night....another Hot Springs. We arrived at "The" Hot Springs shortly before dark, set up camp and started the routine of making dinner etc.

DSC06795.jpg

The Source...very cool formations.

DSC06793.jpg

DSC06792.jpg

The hot water is piped down to a tub by the stream.

DSC06797.jpg

Camp for the night.

DSC06804.jpg

DSC06803.jpg

Continued Below.....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above...

Alan setting up his tent

DSC06802.jpg

Andy found that his chest protector and backpack provided a bad rub point on his collar bone...he was left with a egg sized sore....ouch! He will find a way to mod his gear in the am.

DSC06818.jpg

And a beautiful sunset to top off an awesome day!

DSC06814.jpg

DSC06813.jpg

End Day 2
Miles on Bike: 1515
Hrs on Bike: 60.7

LOTS MORE TO COME.....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Day 3 - June 3rd.

Miles on Bike: 1515
Hrs on Bike: 60.7

We woke up to another beautiful morning, ready to do battle with the desert.

Camp

DSC06823.jpg

We all changed out filter skins this am, Filter skins are the way to go for this kind of travel. I carry 6 pre-oiled skins and can do the whole ride with one air filter. They are a lot easier to pack than extra filters. I also carry 6 pairs of thin latex gloves for changing the skins.

Getting ready to install the new skin.

DSC06820.jpg

All ready for another day on the trail.

DSC06822.jpg

Another shot of the springs...

DSC06843.jpg

We are planning on meeting up with Mark today in Battle Mountain NV, He left from Kennewick WA late in the afternoon yesterday and would drive ahead of us to Battle Mountain, rest up and link up with us when we roll through there for fuel. But..........

7am...As we are loading up the bikes we hear a dirt bike off in the distance...could that be Mark? Oh yeah...He rolls up to where we are camped and is pumped up for a days riding! He drove till 3am, followed our SPOT tracks to within a couple miles of where we were parked then jumped on the bike......then unfortunately got confused, turned north and went a long way out of his way. He eventually linked up with our actual tracks (pre-programmed in his GPS) and followed the tracks back to the springs where we were parked. He had to ride through several cattle gates by himself to get there....or he could have just cruised 2 more miles down the gravel road from where he parked the truck right to us LOL. All in all he did awesome at intersecting us out in the middle of know where!

Mark joining the group.

DSC06837.jpg

Mark had one week to transform his bike into a desert sled...Tank, luggage, gear etc. He did a great job getting it all accomplished. One item that he didn't get to was his kick stand, the bolt is broke off in the frame...he'll have to look for places to lean his bike while out on the trail. First stop...easy :)

DSC06840.jpg

Back on the road.

DSC06857.jpg

DSC06859.jpg

Andy and Trever come over the rise to find this sight. Uh Oh!

DSC06874.jpg

DSC06861.jpg

Enter the ADV Bermuda Triangle! Mark and I blow a turn so we stop to go back, Mark says "My clutch is coming and going on me". We decide to stop and take a look. Mark is running a full auto clutch and replaced the plates right before he left, a little dis-assembly is in order.

DSC06862.jpg

DSC06866.jpg

Looks like a set screw came loose in the clutch setup. Tools are out and a fix is on the way. Meanwhile Trever says his new Garmin Montana GPS lost all satellites as he rolled up to the stop. Hmmm.....We'll lets see if we can fix it as well.

Trever starts the dis-assembly on his Montana.

DSC06872.jpg

And finds that the Antenna has broken off the circuit board! The antenna is held on from the factory with a thin piece of double stick tape, the tape came un-bonded leaving the weight of the antenna hanging on the thin soldered post to the circuit board. It was only a matter of time before the vibration and rough trail caused the post to fail. This is a weak spot on the Montana in my opinion...Click here for a How-To article on preventing this from happening again with the Montana: CLICK HERE

DSC06870.jpg

DSC06871.jpg

Mark gets his bike up and running and takes it for a quick test spin. Andy says he sees something square fall of Marks bike but we look around and can't find anything. At this time Andy's bike (with no one around it) falls over...the stock kick stand snaps under the weight of the gear on the bike!

LETS GET OUT OF THE ADV BERMUDA TRIANGLE BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE FAILS!!

Back on the trail

DSC06906.jpg

We come across a cool old abandoned ranch and stop to check it out.

DSC06875.jpg

DSC06876.jpg

Old Hay Lift

DSC06877.jpg

DSC06892.jpg

This Deer was hanging out behind the tool shed

DSC06899.jpg

The shade feels great!

DSC06878.jpg

Alan blew by the turn to the ranch....but soon makes his way back to the group.

DSC06894.jpg

We head inside to check out the house. Let's try this baby out lol.

DSCN0163.jpg

Lots of signatures from ADV riders that have passed through, looks like the GL guys have been here! The tube is still where they left it in their RR.

DSC06880.jpg

Continued Below.....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above....

We add our own signature...as well as a Hodakaguy sticker lol

2012-06-03_10-22-43_305.jpg

DSC06884.jpg

That Picture (and my avatar) is actually me...in a Halloween costume :)

DSCN0168.jpg

Trever finds a stick and heads out in search of water.

DSC06890.jpg

Ahhh....There it is!

He says...Hmmm....I have a idea for this stick, I think I'll keep it.

DSC06889.jpg

This ranch must have been around for a long time...the trees are huge!

DSC06891.jpg

Andy checks out the stream and rides across. He sets up to snap pictures as people cross the stream.

DSC06888.jpg

DSC06904.jpg

Hodakaguy crossing the stream, I imagine certain times of the year this can be deep!

1.jpg

2.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

And stills from the same crossing off the GoPro....Alan can move pretty fast LOL.

vlcsnap-00010.jpg

vlcsnap-00012.jpg

vlcsnap-00013.jpg

vlcsnap-00014.jpg

vlcsnap-00015.jpg

vlcsnap-00016.jpg

vlcsnap-00017.jpg

vlcsnap-00018.jpg

vlcsnap-00019.jpg

vlcsnap-00020.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued from above.....

We left the ranch and continued towards Battle Mountain NV.

DSC06910.jpg

DSC06915.jpg

DSC06916.jpg

DSC06917.jpg

DSC06920.jpg

Followed some awesome single track!

vlcsnap-00005.jpg

vlcsnap-00008.jpg

We boon docked though the sage brush for a while.

vlcsnap-00007.jpg

Yet another gate to open/close.

vlcsnap-00006.jpg

This section was great!

DSC06924.jpg

DSC06926.jpg

We rolled up to get fuel in Battle Mountain. It was here that Mark realized that his wallet is missing and fell out of his pack somewhere back out on the trail. We fill the bikes and roll over to the pizza shop next door to fill our stomachs and form a plan.

DSC06933.jpg

You remember that stick that Trever kept....well it turns out Mark is packing it as his new kick stand LOL.

DSC06935.jpg

DSC06932.jpg

We eat lunch and form a new plan. We think that the square object that Andy saw come off of Marks bike earlier in the day might be the wallet. We talk about options...Trever and Mark head back to look for the wallet, and the rest of us continue south...Or we all stick together as a group and look for the wallet then head south to Soldier meadows and Reno. A decision is made to stay together as a group so we head north...on Slab to make time :-(

vlcsnap-00003.jpg

vlcsnap-00004.jpg

We arrive back in the ADV Bermuda triangle and can't find the wallet....and Andy realizes that his zip off coat sleeves are gone, he had them tied on the back of his bike. Hope it doesn't turn cold! The Triangle strikes again!

We look at the map and decide to head to Soldier Meadows for the night. Since we are so close Mark will pick up his truck and move it further north so it's closer to Denio (he'll have less of a slab run to get back to the truck when were done). While we are there Mark loans Andy his kick stand that he has in the truck...once at camp Andy will have a kick stand again :) We grab the truck and roll on.

We stop to fill the bikes one last time before soldier meadows.

DSC06938.jpg

Andy without a kick stand.

DSC06936.jpg

We hit gravel, park Marks truck and head for soldier meadows. It turns dark and we're riding by headlights now. Well most of us are riding by headlights, Since Andy is riding with a stock head light he's now riding by someone else's light lol. The OEM lights area really pathetic.

In the dark we make a navigational error and realize we are far north of Soldier Meadows. At this point it is closer to continue back to Bog Hot Springs and camp there for the night. So we continue north.

We arrive at Bog Hot Springs, set up camp and have a great soak. We will continue south in the am. Two days into the trip and we are camping back at the first camp site....you just never know how a ADV ride is going to go :)

All in all a great days riding.

End Day 3

Miles on bike: 1852
Hrs on bike: 68.1

More to come!!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
DAY 4 - June 4 2012

Miles on bike: 1852
Hrs on bike: 68.1

Woke up at Bog Hot Springs to another beautiful day...ready to head south.

DSC06950.jpg

Trever removing the GPS brackets and mounts from his bike since his Montana is no longer functioning.

DSC06955.jpg

Andy and his twin kick stands....LOL. He's getting ready to change his broken unit out for the good unit, since we arrived at the springs after dark he just used two kick stands for the night.

DSC06949.jpg

DSC06947.jpg

Some time during the night this cool VW Vanagon slipped into the springs.

DSC06945.jpg

We head into Denio Junction again to get fuel and a hot meal :)

DSC06957.jpg

No ride report that includes Denio Junction would be complete without a picture of "Gods Ride".

DSC06956.jpg

With full stomachs we head south to Soldier Meadows to stop for fuel and say hello to Kathy. Kathy's husband Jim recently passed away and Kathy is selling the ranch. Hopefully it will remain open to people traveling through this barren country. Kathy and Jim will be missed!

Rolling into Soldier Meadows.

DSC06962.jpg

DSC06965.jpg

DSC06964.jpg

DSC06973.jpg

Soldier Meadows has a rich history. It was originally called Mud Meadows and was used by the settlers as a rest stop as they made their was out west on the Applegate Trail. The US army built a Fort here to protect the settlers as they made their way westward. Read more on Soldier Meadows Here: CLICK HERE

Kathy's house.

DSCN0178.jpg

And the original Army Fort still standing!

DSCN0179.jpg

Kathy is gone to Reno for the day taking care of paperwork for the sale of the ranch, bummer we were hoping to say hi. We chat with the ranch hand for a bit and check out the facilities.

DSC06971.jpg

DSC06969.jpg

DSC06970.jpg

We debate if we need to take on fuel or not. It's never wise to pass fuel out here so we all take one gallon of fuel. (we'll be glad we did!).

We roll up to the "pumps". Soldier Meadows uses a very reliable way of measuring your fuel, a old 1 gallon cider jug :). We line up and all get our gallon of fuel.

DSC06977.jpg

DSC06979.jpg

Trever sipping on a little unleaded...Hmmm....good vintage!

DSC06981.jpg

DSC06982.jpg

Filling my bike.

DSC06987.jpg

We leave Soldier Meadows and head up Fly Canyon, High Rock Canyon, and Yellow Rock Canyon. This is the original route of the Applegate Trail, Lots of History Here! The scenery is incredible!

DSCN0194.jpg

Along the way trail markers share the settlers experiences with quotes from diaries. I can't imagine how hard it was to make that voyage.

DSCN0185.jpg

DSC02427.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued From Above....

Heading out in search of adventure!

DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0189.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSC06994.jpg

We arrive in High Rock Canyon. We stop here to take a rest and check out a few historical items along the trail.

Setting up Marks kick stand. Andy found a piece of tent pole along the trail so they propped Mark's bike up with it, it lasted till we walked up to the cave then the bike decided to take a nap :)

DSC07002.jpg

DSC07014.jpg

A couple Panoramic shots of High Rock Canyon.

DSC07001.jpg

DSC07018.jpg

This is called Mail Cave. Settlers on the wagon trains would leave mail in this cave for family members or friends that were coming behind. It's hard to imagine what it would have been like to travel through this country with horse and wagon.

DSC07003.jpg

DSC07006.jpg

Here comes a dune buggy down the trail.

DSC07016.jpg

We take a walk down the canyon to check out a few more historical items.

Looking for the 2nd cave...it's well hidden!

DSCN0206.jpg

DSC07021.jpg

DSC07044.jpg

Historical Graffiti on the bluff next to Mail Cave, 1852!

DSCN0209.jpg

The walls were a couple hundred feet high in places!

DSC07031.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

Arriving at the second cave.

DSC07034.jpg

DSCN0211.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

I love looking at this kind of history....Amazing it's so well preserved.

DSC02477.jpg

Exiting the second cave.

DSC07042.jpg

One of the many stream crossings on the trip.

DSC07049.jpg

DSC07051.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online