2006 fe180 falls flat

selfy

Observer
check the breather hose out of the tank for a blockage, had it happen to an older truck a mud wasp built a nest in the breather it would run for 5 mins then stop

boostin

Adventurer
Hey guys thanks for all the input..

I have checked all the hoses...they appear to be factory and very firm do can't see them collapsing under suction.

The breather is actually a good idea one I am near the truck again I will check it out.

It definitely feels like fuel...if it was engine electrical I feel like I would at least get a check engine light.

Keep the ideas coming

Does the bosch common rail on this engine generally reliable?

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Yes and no.

Reliable in a sense that they rarely have minor issues (such as this). But when they fail - they take the entire fuel system with them, and its an expensive repair.
I can only add to what others have mentioned, its almost certainly a fuel related issue, in not getting enough fuel to the pump, something which you should be concerned about as the high pressure Bosch pump is lubricated by fuel, and if it isn't getting enough its likely to have that aforementioned catastrophic failure.

boostin

Adventurer
Hey guys

Just a little update...first time been able to work on the truck in the last few weeks but I have noticed this problem only happens when the auto shifts to third gear so I think it is some sort of transmission induced limp mode.

I did find a sketchy wire repair so once I diagnose that a bit I will see if that's the problem.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Pump out your fuel tank. start with a fresh 4-5 gallons of diesel. just to eliminate the chance of bad fuel. Before this start with a fresh fuel filter. Remember to fill up the filter with fresh diesel or you will be priming it forever.

boostin

Adventurer
Old thread finally got some time to work on the truck..ended up getting used tested and cleaned injectors....installed and runs perfect...long story short injectors fixed the truck

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
That is great news, I also had a similar issue with my GQ patrol, turned out there was a hidden thimble size filter inside the injector pump. Fished it out of the pump with a paper clip and replaced, full power restored to the patrol.
Cheers
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior