2006 fe180 falls flat

boostin

Adventurer
Hey guys

Quick question I have a 2006 fe180 auto that idles smooth takes off good till about 2000 rpm then just falls flat no power and almost stalls when you stop.. turn it off and wait a minute fire it up and it's normal..

Any ideas?

Did the basic maintenance..fuel filter air filter injector cleaner..changed the mprop on the injection pump.

Thanks for the help

Gatsma

Adventurer
You have a fuel restriction somewhere. Supplies enough fuel to idle and run slow and rev UP TO 2000+/- but not enough to keep that speed. Did you fill the fuel filter w/ fuel before installing it?

boostin

Adventurer
Yes I did...primed it and bleed it several times.

It's odd how turn the truck off then back on and then all is normal.

Any ideas how to test restriction?

Gatsma

Adventurer
By shutting it off and restarting, you are allowing pressures to balance out and fuel to "fill" the lines again. SOMETHING is restricting flow somewhere, but not enough to keep from starting and running for a short while. Had you not said you changed the fuel filter, I would have suspected it. Is there only one fuel filter? If not, were both (or ALL) fuel filters changed? Or is there one somewhere you don't know about and must find? These may sound like stupid questions but it would surprise you what gets solved by them sometimes.
Another question- will it idle "forever", or does it shut down after a while just idling? I'm also wondering if it picked up some piece of crud off the tank bottom that is restricting the line before the filter, OR if there is a rubber or neoprene line ahead of the filter that's flattening due to softening from oil or grease on the outside, or a combination of both of these things.
The first thing to do is to insure that the line is free and clear of any obstruction ahead of the filter(s) and pump. Check out EVERYTHING, starting at the tank, and move forward. Leave nothing out. If a component is suspected, disconnect both hoses and blow thru to check. Eventually you will find something. Good luck!

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
is it the same with full tank and almost empty tank?
Good one, Gait! Forgot that angle; though the way he describes it, it only happens after it more-or-less "sucks the line out", shutting it off allows "replenishment" to run for another short interval.
The most puzzling part of this is, the trouble seemed to start AFTER doing the service. As you know the Fuso beasts in particular, would you know something he possibly neglected while doing the service procedure?
Maybe our two heads can help our friend here, eventually!

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I had the same thing happen on my boat. Twin 39hp diesels. Here is what I would check:

1) fuel filter microns. We put on a Racor pre-filter system on both engines. The filters that could be used were 2 or a 10 or a 30 micron. Since the main engine filter was a 2 micron- my thought was a 2 in the pre-filter would make the harder to change main filter a less often event. Good in theory, but with the lousy diesel fuel available in most countries just meant clogging the pre-filter faster and starving the engine of fuel. Shut the engine down- start it 15-20 minutes later and it would run for awhile before it would lose rpm and then die. The filter never looked that bad- but when we switched to the 10 or the 30 micron- everything worked fine.
2) Gunk in the tank that has moved into the fuel lines. Somewhere we picked up some bio-diesel fuel. Warm temps and a little water yielded serious gelatinous like material in the bottom and sides of the tank. The first signs were fast clogging filters, but after awhile a clean filter would still yield a dead engine. Took a outboard motor tank one way squeezable ball primer and attached it to the fuel line. With one in of a fuel line in a clean tank of diesel and the other end attached to the fuel line flowing toward the main tank I was able to blow the line clean. So the line was not totally clog, but enough to slow down the fuel flow.

Mark

boostin

Adventurer
Fuel is at half tank....it actually had the problem before the service...Just kinda hoping the service would fix it.

Been reading in the fsm about the fuel system it points to the fuel pressure sensor is faulty...

Luckily I have a spare motor so I might have to change the sensor and see.

Its sad I have to fe trucks and both of them have running problems..Just bought these trucks for my business and so far not convinced on the fuel system.. should have got a mechanical injection one lol.

gait

Explorer
if its the same or different with a full tank it may help the diagnosis.

Another place to look is the water trap if there is one. I had one with a pinhole air leak. On very close inspection I could see a fine line of bubbles. Not enough to have air collect in the fuel filter but enough with a low tank to stop the engine, I assume due to reduced pressure. I bypassed it as I was in the middle of nowhere.

Really just work through the lines from tank to filter and engine, change one thing at a time and see what makes a difference. And of course there may be more than one problem .... (which makes it four times as hard). I started with a long pipe from tank to fuel filter which bypassed everything then worked backwards. I have a twin tank changeover switch with one tank working one similar to your symptoms.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I picked up a customers truck once from Brisbane:.... Got 15 minutes up the road and it died. Started it up again and it ran for another 5 minutes then died again. Jumped out to have a look. He had moved the fuel tank back a little on the chassis and extended the fuel lines with vacumm hose. Looked the same at a glance. Same as on the brake tank. The diesel had softened the vac hose (being used wrongly as fuel tank pickup hose) to the point that it was sucking itself in and blocking flow almost completely.

Similar symptons. Something to check.

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
Well, Boostin, hopefully with all these Fuso-centric brains on board, you'll get your truck in good health!
I'm glad all you guys jumped on board here! All I could do was generalize, having dealt a lot w/diesels, but no Fuso trucks.
This continues to be a treasure-trove of info!

boostin

Adventurer
Thanks guys for all the input..definitely want to check all those things..it's parked out of town though and was hoping to get it to the shop to do now trouble shooting..

I have some ideas about another problem it might have if it pans out I will definitely post it.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Does the Fuso line have in-tank fuel filters or strainers?

Just asking, because on a couple of my non-Fuso diesels, those have been a issue once they get loaded with debris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94