Tata to sign for Jaguar and Land Rover deal

Hoss86

Observer
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this and enjoy this forum. I read about this topic this morning on CNN. I'm not familiar with Tata Motors, but what are the chances of them making diesel engine in the future for future Land Rover? I hope the make a diesel Discovery for better mileage. Maybe, it's wishful thinking for me. I know they do make smaller diesel vehicles for general public and I think military. The new diesel vehicle for Tata is the Safari Dicor 2.2VTI. Other models are Tata Safari and the Tata 207 D1 pick-up vehicle.

michaelgroves

Explorer
The Discovery does have, and always has had, diesel options in most parts of the world! In Europe, only a smattering of petrol-powered Discos were ever sold, compared to diesel models.

(Of course, the DII is no longer manufactured - what is called the LR3 in the States is called a Discovery 3 here, but the same applies - the vast majority in Europe are diesels).

There are also diesel options for Freelanders here, and Defenders haven't even been available in a petrol version in Europe since the introduction of the TD5 engine in 1998/9!

For specs, see http://www.landrover.co.uk.

Last edited:

Yorker

Adventurer
michaelgroves said:
The Discovery does have, and always has had, diesel options in most parts of the world! In Europe, only a smattering of petrol-powered Discos were ever sold, compared to diesel models.

(Of course, the DII is no longer manufactured - what is called the LR3 in the States is called a Discovery 3 here, but the same applies - the vast majority in Europe are diesels).

There are also diesel options for Freelanders here, and Defenders haven't even been available in a petrol version in Europe since the introduction of the TD5 engine in 1998/9!

For specs, see http://www.landrover.co.uk.

that is true but LR hasn't exported a diesel to North America since- what? 1973? They can make all they want but it doesn't do us any good unless they are 25 years old or we roll our own from parts. Perhaps the corporate philosophy will change and we'll see them here in the future but I am not holding my breath...

Hoss86

Observer
Yorker said:
Perhaps the corporate philosophy will change and we'll see them here in the future but I am not holding my breath...

Exactly what I hope for. I'm surprised Ford didn't try to attempt to bring diesel in the US, before everybody was bit with the "MPG Bug". I just hope Tata Motor preserves the Land Rover's iconic past.

Yorker

Adventurer
Hoss86 said:
Exactly what I hope for. I'm surprised Ford didn't try to attempt to bring diesel in the US, before everybody was bit with the "MPG Bug". I just hope Tata Motor preserves the Land Rover's iconic past.

Well Mahindra has been making CJ3b's and CJ5s for what? 40 years? maybe more? There definitely is room in the third world for bare bones simple 4X4s so if anything I think there is more hope now than there was under Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94