Your basic newbie Rubicon question

uintaangler

Observer
I have just begun the process of looking for a super-duper off road Rubicon and as somebody who has been driving Toyota 4Runners for the last 20 years - I'm not sure where to start?
I will keep my 2012 4Runner as my daily driver and for basic off road stuff
I would use the Rubicon for more serious offroading
I have seen a few on the EP classifieds that look good, but my local Jeep dealer has lots of them in his inventory if I want to buy Brand New
My question is, what modifications make the most sense if I do buy a new Rubicon as opposed to a used one that has already been modified?
Thanks.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The main thing to be watchful of is that some of our local Utah dealers sell shop modified vehicles that will not actually pass safety, plus it pads their profit margin. Some private sellers will sell a vehicle that can't pass safety as well, make sure you bring any vehicle in for safety inspection at a reputable shop prior to purchase. There are plenty of Jeeps on Utah roads that do not meet state safety requirements or have crappy lifts installed, so make sure you don't get stuck with one.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You can also get a Rubicon from the dealer with AEV lifts, wheels, bumpers winches etc all under factory warranty. I'd look into that if I were buying new.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
My question is, what modifications make the most sense if I do buy a new Rubicon as opposed to a used one that has already been modified?
Thanks.

You are going to get a lot of different answer with this question. I for one would just add some skid plates and get a feel for the vehicle. Don't feel the need to run out and get a lift and larger tires.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Do you have trails or areas in mind that you want to wheel? How big of a tire do you anticipate that you'll go with? With a little more info we might be able to point you into a better direction.

Depending on how crazy you are looking to go it might make sense to get a lower trim level and add the gear after the fact. You'll save money on the front end by buying a sport and could then use that money on modifications. I put in an e-locker and re-geared this June and got my rig (in my mind) every bit as capable as a Rubi and only paid about $1,500 for it including installation.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Buy it and use it as you want to.

When you find things it can't do that you want it to, make modifications appropriate for that.

I'll bet you can go months and months (years) learning the stock capabilities without spending a cent on mods.

-Dan

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not to mention you can do a tummy tuck and high clearance fenders that will allow you to run larger tires without any additional lift over stock.

uintaangler

Observer
Do you have trails or areas in mind that you want to wheel? How big of a tire do you anticipate that you'll go with? With a little more info we might be able to point you into a better direction.

nnnnate, my biggest challenge will be very deep sand. I don't expect to go down to Moab and participate in rock crawling

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
nnnnate, my biggest challenge will be very deep sand. I don't expect to go down to Moab and participate in rock crawling

Most of the time you simply air down for sand and can be fine without lockers, but all it takes is that one time to be stuck back in the middle of nowhere that can make you wish you had lockers to get you out. There are even some situations where a winch can't get you out if there isn't anything substantial to anchor off of.

HRPINDC

Adventurer

I would likely leave the Rubicon pretty much stock, perhaps some added skid plates. I would go with a tall but narrow tire and depending on the sand, put on some bead locks. On board air would come in handy as well as some PSP or Maxtraxs. Recovery gear would be recommended. Do you typically travel alone or with others?

toymaster

Explorer
Thanks.

First off, welcome to the world of the most aftermarket supported vehicle in the world. Second, research and planning is your best friend. Do not go and make mods just because they look cool. Third, if you buy used get a 2012 or newer this is due to the 3.6 liter 285HP motor as opposed to the 3.8 200HP motor.

Here are a few items to start thinking about. First a "rubicon" package is an off-road package that contains 1. a larger front axle (dana 44), 2. a very low 4:1 low range transfer case, 3. electric locker in both front and rear axle differentials, 4. a push button operated front sway-bar disconnect, 5. 4.11 ring & pinion axle gearing ratio. If your plans will entail replacing most of these items then the rubicon model may not make sense for you. For those of us that want an extremely capable factory platform on which to mildly modify the rubicon is the way to go, period.

Not sure how 'hardcore' you plan on your jeep being. Some say my build is hardcore while other say close to the opposite; it is a matter of perspective. This is where research and planning starts to work for you. One only knows 'what makes sense' if where you want to be is known. However, once you have a game plan things will surely change as progress is made, this is the nature of the beast and part of the fun. The purpose of the plan is to save money or at least get you the most capability for each dollar spent.

A modified used vehicle will be cheaper than buying a new or used and then modifying it. You can never get back what you have spent at resale time. The key is to know what you are buying. One has to be familiar enough with jeep mods to tell the difference in quality and quality of the install. This is another area where research is key.

To me personally a mild lift, larger tires, bumpers and winch(s) are basic and reasonable and 'make sense' to me. To others it may make more sense to buy a fridge, drawers on slides, and awning first. Once you know the capability you want then it will give you an idea of ground clearance (tire size), amount of suspension articulation desired (type of suspension lift), armor needed, and amount of self-recovery equipment needed.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Tummy tucks are common on TJs but I've never read about them being done on a JK.

I guess if you aren't planning on "crawling" I really don't see a need for additional skids (JKs come stock with a TC skid and another for the fuel tank) or much else to be honest. Depending on the tire size perhaps you could do a mild lift but that may not even be necessary. Keep in mind that with 2.5" lift you can run 37" tires on a JK (although you'd need flat fender flares to accomplish this.) I've managed to do a lot with a mild lift and stock take off tires from a rubicon. It was enough to run Moab trails (Hells Revenge, Fins and Things, and Poison Spider) but not so much that it made driving it unwieldy. My short wife can get in/out without too much trouble as well.

I have seen a ton of Utah at stock height or with my little lift and stock tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94