Tents vs. Hammocks for backpacking and overland

First a little background on my last trip to the Adirondacks. We were short on time and ended up being only a two day trip. The plan was to drive up early on day 1 (4 am) hike for the day with my family, crash their campsite for the night, hike on day 2 and drive home. We ended up getting into the campground after dark and opted to drop the rear seats and sleep in the car.

After the trip my wife talked about the possibility of taking up backpacking as she didn't like getting out of the woods late. We already have a large tent for campground type camping but it is too large for backpacking.

I am looking for advice and personal experience with great that could be dual purposed for both overland and foot travel. My goals here are weight and ease of setup. Given the desire to be able to hike with shelter RTT is off the table for this discussion.

toymaster

Explorer
I use a tent; a nights sleep in a hammock is uncomfortable for me. Also, trees are not always around. A tent offers full weather protection and keeps out all of the creepy-crawlies. Of course, with backpacking light is the only way to go. I have used the bibler I-tent since 2000. A true 4 season, single wall tent at <5lbs.

I use my backpacking gear for the basis of all my different types of camping. The tent w/ground cloth, 3/4 length sleeping pad, and a suitable sleeping bag goes with me no matter what. MSR dragonfly stove, fuel bottle with white gas, MSR water filter, water bladder, liquid bio camp soap, titanium cook set, snowpeak sporks, paracord, freeze dried meals, and 4 ways to start a fire go in my backpack or in a water tight duffle for rafting, car camping, etc. My advice is do not go cheap on these items. All other items not carried on your person can be heavier, cheaper, and luxurious.

IMG-20110924-00238-M.jpg

IMG-20110924-00237-L.jpg

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/tents-and-bivys/i-tent-BD810050.html#start=10

nieb15

Struck with Wanderlust
After borrowing a Hennessy hammock this year, I don't think I will ever go back to a normal tent. Comfortable, quick to setup and store, never have to worry about uneven ground, can be insulated, and I love the bottom entry. The guy I borrowed it from made a pole setup for when you do not have a lot of trees, or even no trees at all. While this works great if you have a vehicle, the pole system is way to bulky and heavy for backpacking. When I get mine I want to mimic his pole setup and build a support into my truck so I'll always have an emergency place to set it up.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Question for you hammock guys and gals....I cannot sleep on my back at home in a normal bed. I am a side or stomach sleeper. I've never thought I would be comfortable in a hammock. How does sleep position compare to a regular bed?

infra

n00b
I use a tent; a nights sleep in a hammock is uncomfortable for me. Also, trees are not always around. A tent offers full weather protection and keeps out all of the creepy-crawlies. Of course, with backpacking light is the only way to go. I have used the bibler I-tent since 2000. A true 4 season, single wall tent at <5lbs.

Even in the desert South West I have never been in a situation where I could not find something to hang my hammock from. With a hammock I don't have to find a level spot or clear the ground for a tent. I'm not worried about getting swamped out on the ground if a crazy rain storm hits. A tarp hung over the hammock also offers full weather protection. And many hammocks have a built in bug net. I just negated all your illogical points for strictly using a tent.

Question for you hammock guys and gals....I cannot sleep on my back at home in a normal bed. I am a side or stomach sleeper. I've never thought I would be comfortable in a hammock. How does sleep position compare to a regular bed?

I have 2 herniated lumbar discs and find I cannot sleep on my back in my bed at home or any bed at all, strictly a side sleeper. I can however sleep on my back in my hammock and my back is completely painless. When I have nights at home where my back bugs me to the point I can't sleep in my bed, I hang my hammock inside and I'm asleep in no time. There are "bridge" style hammocks that you can sleep on your side or stomach in, as opposed to gathered end style hammocks. After switching from a tent to hammock for backpacking, not only did it lighten my pack but I found that I was able to sleep so much better. There are many positives to switching to a hammock for general camping or backpacking. Do some more research at www.hammockforums.net

toymaster

Explorer
I just negated all your illogical points for strictly using a tent.

If you would, or even can, explain what logical fallacy was breached when I expressed my personal opinion. You may want to start by researching the basics of logic. The poster wanted subjective information and subjective information was offered. One might as well argue with the wind, or do something else in the wind, than have hopes of winning a subjective discussion. Perhaps if you raise your voice the next time you want to express the opinion that the color purple is better than lavender it will help. Also, FYI your offered limited camping experience cannot be expected to provide valid support for your argument. In the future try to offer advice to others without trying to insult others with a contrary view.

86tuning

Adventurer
If you're backpacking you may also want to consider a siltarp instead of a tent. My siltarp is about 400g (14oz) and allows me to hike with less effort due to the weight difference between my tarp and the lightest tents. Yes, it's a bit more finicky to set up. And yes, I hike with trekking poles which double for use as my tent poles. I use a bugnet over my face if its buggy out.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ditto infra on hammockforums.net

once you learn to sleep on a diagonal and understand how to pitch them at the correct angle hammocks are awesome for sure many setup them up wrong is why the comfort is not there
also many hammocks have built in bug nets and or a bug sock setup so no bugs
most hammock tarps are length of ridge line so just over 10 feet to 12 feet and many are about 8-10 feet wide so quite a bit of room under them even if raining and you will never have to put away a muddy tent again :) as 86tuning said silnylon packs smaller etc... again options some have doors some do not lots of options to keep you dry

also hanging wise you can hang close to each other we do it with our kids and two hammocks fit under one tent but having your own tarp for each is nice also pull them close pitch one over the other and you end up with a huge nice area under cover if you want or just pull them back and enjoy the nice views

we recently switched and not sure why I did not do it sooner :) I used to sleep in a hammock some when I lived in Honduras so was used to them for a bed but often the cold and the whole family ?
well got the whole family into hammocks and everyone is happy

insulation of course is mandatory again the hammock forums will answer more but you can start with pads and then move to under quilts last few nights I have been sleeping outside in a new hammock and WOW the thing is amazing compared to my indoor hammocks even and been playing with the top quilt and under quilt thing and will be outfitting the whole family with that setup and selling our bags can totally see why people love the under quilt top quilt thing but again you can start with a bag and blue foam pad no worries :)

we have always had hammocks for lounging and are always the go to spot when camping :) now we still have em for lounging and our sleeping ones for sleeping

have a Hennessy and now a simply ight design trail lair and the thing blows the hennessy away !!
also on the forums you can see some other makers war bonnet and dream hammock are two popular ones also and all end up about the same price

we still use a tent for changing room etc... with kids and dogs its handy but not needed at all just a changing room pop up thing also works

that said I never woke up camping without being sore and seemed like a couple hour warm up period to get moving ?
now I wake up with no pain and ready to go
at home I have to sleep on my side but in the hammock I find I can sleep on my back ? which is strange but so supported its more comfy but you can sleep on your side in a proper hung hammock if you really want to but you may find you won't need to

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
There may not always be a tree nearby. For backpacking, do not forget to split the tent up between the two of you. Also, look into Tarp Tents, made in USA, and very lightweight. I borrowed one from a friend the last time I went camping, and loved the easy setup, and super light weight.

http://www.tarptent.com/

Just remember Old Man Winter is coming and according to the farmers almanac this'uns gonna be a harsh one. Sleeping in a hammock with the wind rushing under you can and will make you think twice about sleeping in a hammock. For the summer, go with a hammock. Fall and winter I'd go with a tent and reflective space blanket. Just my three cents...

The Hennessy hammock comes fully integrated as one piece in that it has the hammock mosquito netting and rain fly all combined as one and is only rated to 250 lbs

Eno hammocks are bought in parts or separated so if camping in sunny weather you may not want the tarp attached or if he weather is cooler and there aren't any bugs a buggin you don't have to attach the netting. When it's all said and done the price for all the Eno accessories come to about the same price as the Hennessey and the Eno is rated to hold up to 400 lbs

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
couple quick thoughts/corrections :)

lots of guys sleep in hammocks in the winter even in northern Canada and cold places here ? see lots of reports in - temp all the time

just like the ground you need insulation to protect you from the cold and not just a space blanket spring and synthetic bag sure that could work but why ? use a pad :)
your bags insulation is crushed making it not insulate especially with down bags and sub freezing most use down bags unless you are humping a heavy large synthetic ? and then you are not ultra light anyway and just a space blanket won't cut it so most every single serious person I know uses a pad of some kind for insulation to the ground the hammocks are no different as far as needing insulation under you
a simple CCF pad can work in a hammock just like the ground even in summer insulation is a wise thing to have some dual layer hammocks have a place to slip a pad or in spring a space blanket in between to or just use a light UQ or a normal one and vent etc...

most tarps will keep the wind from whipping under neath you and if not you can get a simple bottom cover to keep the warmth in and wind out on the under quilt :) or get a winter tarp setup with doors and its basically a tent to the ground all the way around

also the HH (Hennessy) are not integrated rain flys they remove and most all hammocks can be setup the same way and many have integrated bug nets but many have winter hammocks that do not have bug nets and many nice hammocks you can remove the bug net completely if you want since bugs are not out in sub freezing temps :)
the HH just setup that way and look integrated but they are not ? same way I have my kids hammocks setup tarp everything in snake skins
some hammocks like the DD is also a great hammock that is made especially to go to ground if need be and is loved by many for that reason
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_jungle_hammock

companies like
http://www.simplylightdesigns.com
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com
http://www.dream-hammock.com

for inflation these guys are like buying feathered friends or other high end gear super high quality
http://www.undergroundquilts.com
http://www.hammockgear.com

or many do things from poncho liners and do things themselves or again just use basic pads from CCF to thermarest or whatever and are happy

I got rid of my HH safari deluxe its well made etc. just found when I tried better hammocks they were more comfy for me anyway :) the safari deluxe is rated to 350 lbs by the way

also seen quite a few in a pinch when no place to hang occurs use trekking poles on either end to hold up the hammock/tarp in a way to make it into a tent setup

ENO are great lounging we have 3 of them :) but most will say they suck for camping sleeping once you try out others and have to agree also the ultralight guys you can get hammocks out of better materials that weigh less than a ENO by a huge amount !
I have a simple argon hammock 11 foot that weight nothing it seems 11 oz vs 19 for the eno DN also the comfort factor in better made hammocks is so so so so so much nicer than a ENO like anything once you get into it you realize how much is out there and how much better things are
some amsteel suspension and a silnylon tarp you are set and that is a not the lightest material either but equal or better than the ENO so more to compare to the ENO
same with there bug net which is twice as heavy as most well made ones
again been there done that and speak from experience I am learning quickly :)

learning about cinch bucklers or whoopies and other methods for hanging again like anything a whole other world that once you climb in you realize HH and Eno are great as intro products but there are many superior products that often are even less expensive and better you can truly get a superior product that will be better in every way over those two

again I love tents but love the hammocks more now that I got educated on them and by no way am I saying they are better for everyone but they are a option but there also is a ton of wrong info floating around just like any sport or thing to much wrong info keeps going around

so am not trying to be a jerk etc... :) please don't take it that way was just trying to correct a few things that I also thought before

head over to www.hammockforums.net plenty of winter trip reports etc...

Just remember Old Man Winter is coming and according to the farmers almanac this'uns gonna be a harsh one. Sleeping in a hammock with the wind rushing under you can and will make you think twice about sleeping in a hammock. For the summer, go with a hammock. Fall and winter I'd go with a tent and reflective space blanket. Just my three cents...

The Hennessy hammock comes fully integrated as one piece in that it has the hammock mosquito netting and rain fly all combined as one and is only rated to 250 lbs

Eno hammocks are bought in parts or separated so if camping in sunny weather you may not want the tarp attached or if he weather is cooler and there aren't any bugs a buggin you don't have to attach the netting. When it's all said and done the price for all the Eno accessories come to about the same price as the Hennessey and the Eno is rated to hold up to 400 lbs

matt41482

Observer
Here is my Warbonnet Ridgerunner I love hammock camping! I have no problem sleeping on my side in it.
Winter is no problem as long as your prepared I use a under quilt or insulated sleeping pad inside.
00949AA1-D443-479E-932B-1CC2AE2AA2F1-697-00000075D978D142_zps6ce26878.jpg
[/IMG]

If you're backpacking you may also want to consider a siltarp instead of a tent. My siltarp is about 400g (14oz) and allows me to hike with less effort due to the weight difference between my tarp and the lightest tents. Yes, it's a bit more finicky to set up. And yes, I hike with trekking poles which double for use as my tent poles. I use a bugnet over my face if its buggy out.

While I appreciate the weight savings by going down a road like this, with my wife who isn't fond of bugs or creepy crawly things I would need to go with something enclosed for her.

We live in New England, most of our hiking has been in the Adirondack State Park. My feeling is that we wouldn't run into a situation where we wouldn't have trees would be incredibly rare, that being said I have been wrong before...

So far lots of good information. The ENO tents were the ones that initially caught my eye simply due to the weight savings over having a tent. I also envision the setup time to be much shorter with a hammock as opposed to a tent. The idea of being able to pull my Jeep up next to a tree and use the tree and the Jeep as strap points to have a bed in a couple of minutes is enticing. I understand the argument can probably be made that splitting the load of a tent between two people would be lighter than having each person carry their own hammock. One of the big unknowns for me is how well I would sleep in a hammock, I've not yet tried it and am a little tentative simply based on that fact.

Thank you for the feedback so far, lets try to keep this to subjective information based on your personal experiences, I am not trying to start a great debate over which is better. I am simply looking to get advice from people who have used one or the other to help me make a decision. In my group of friends the people with backpacking experience are few and far between.

Honu

lost on the mainland
been wanting to order one of these to try out :)
have to sell some other stuff and equip our other hammocks first :)

nice setup :)

Here is my Warbonnet Ridgerunner I love hammock camping! I have no problem sleeping on my side in it.
Winter is no problem as long as your prepared I use a under quilt or insulated sleeping pad inside.
00949AA1-D443-479E-932B-1CC2AE2AA2F1-697-00000075D978D142_zps6ce26878.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier