K2500 with 454 as build?

Gr8grizzly1

I currently have a 99 Tahoe 5.7l that is too small for our purposes and I am looking at a 99 Suburban K2500 with the 454 to build our expedition vehicle from. Is there anything I should know about this year Burb or motor? Anything I should look for? The one I'm looking at has 186,000 for $1150. It passed emission inspection last month. I don't know much else yet.

Last edited:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Added oil capacity for the 454 is always a good thing. They have a tendency to spin bearings under heavy loads. I noticed that most 454s only came with a 5 quart oil pan. Should be around 7 for an engine that size.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
They are a very strong engine. What I would do is take an oil sample and send it into BlackStone Labs with the mileage of the vehicle/engine. That report will give you a good idea what the condition of the engine is in terms of wear.

Gr8grizzly1

Thank for the replies. I ended up getting a very nice '92 K1500, the K2500 was pretty beat. Can't wait to start the build to expedition/camping/hunting rig. Pics will follow soon.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Congrats. I was thinking an Az bourbon for $1000 was worth it just for parts....specially heavy ones.

92 was a good year for the 5.7. Look forward to seeing it.

superbuickguy

Explorer
2 wd or 4 wd?

The motor is bulletproof, as is the suspension(ish).
To look for:
- everything works, people haul kids in Suburbans (despite the warnings, people still have kids) and kids spill all sorts of neat things in the switches.
- the oil doesn't smell like gas
- the radiator has been flushed, the dexcool, if it isn't flushed on a regular basis builds up in the motor with a nice paste.
- the transmission fluid doesn't smell burned, and optimally has been rebuilt recently. 180k is about the end of a normal service life for the 4L80e
- that all the fluids have been changed at least once

at 180k, the timing chain could make some noise and there will likely be plenty of oil leaks (especially at $1150). With that said, it's a roller cam motor, and as long as the oil cooler is still in place, the rings and such should be pristine.

They can, however, develop a tick from the lifters - honestly, if it ticks, get another suburban because the worst-case for that issue is a roller that isn't working and it's wiped out the cam.

suspension - as you didn't say 4x4 or 2wd, 2wd is normal stuff like worn ball joints. For 4x4, make sure it engages and there are no warnings. Make sure there are no noises or clunks when you turn.

shocks - check for leaks

bushings - you're in Arizona, rubber dies quickly there; so you could be in for a full bushing replacement (which will make it handle like new).

Otherwise, the Suburban is the best out there - there's lots of good reasons why it's owns better than 80% of the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94