"Push Button" 4wd in an e350 - Lovell 357 or other

I'm in the process of selecting an e350 for a 4x4 conversion, either a 7.3 or a 6.0. I'm wondering what it takes to eliminate the manual operated stick from the floor and run a "push button" setup of some sort.

Yes, yes, yes, I know the manual operated transfer case is better =) But I need to eliminate the shiftier from the floor space there.

One option I've found is the Lovell 357 air actuated transfer case, but I'm new to 4wd, and to building vehicles, so I'm unsure what's required to run that transfer case instead of a NV271, Borg Warner, Atlas II, etc.

Thanks for helping a newbie out! I appreciate all input in figuring out my options.

Edit: As a side note - If the Lovell 357, or some other air actuated tcase is an option, I also figure I can use the same compressor to run some ARB lockers.

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
Isn't the NP273 the electronic shifting version of the NP271? I'm no guru, but I seem to remember that being the case...

desertspeed

Adventurer
Here is a link that shows how to decipher NP/NV transfer case numbering systems:

http://bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=6&faqid=162

Here is another good link:

http://www.nvg.com/tcases.html

For example, NV271 and NV273 are essentially the same transfer case, but the 271 is manual and the 273 is electric. I would think that the 273 would be a good choice for you. In retrospect, I wish I had gone that route.

Honestly, I have never believed that manually shifted TCs are more durable than electronically shifted TCs. I never had a single issue with the BW4406 in my F150 and I have had it since 2001. I think it is very, very rare for an modern actuator to fail.

mikracer

Adventurer
Agile Offroad in San Diego installs a push button 4x4 switch for their Twin Traction Beam setup. Not sure if they will sell parts, but you could probably get some good info from them.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The NV273 is a great T-case. They're plentiful and cheap too (I have found them for under $200 for rebuildable units). 2005+ has an updated shift fork and bushing design that is better than the '99-'04 so those are more desirable in my opinion.

Here is a good source for the t-case internal parts...

http://www.quad4x4.com/fordNV273Fparts.html

The next van I build will have the ESOF NV273. It doesn't take much to get it to work... A switch, module, vacuum source (for the hubs) and a few odds and ends I can't think of at the moment. All parts from a Super Duty truck though so they're easy to source. Duplicate the wiring out of the factory manuals and you're set.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
We do a Push Button Shift on the Fly for the BW1356 Transfer Case and a Selector Knob Shift on the Fly for a the NV273 Transfer Case.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
From the 2009 F-Series wiring manuals (for NV273)...

ESOF1.JPG

ESOF2.JPG

There are several unused fused circuits and relay circuits available in the E-series harness so integrating this can be done pretty cleanly if you wanted. I highly recommend finding a factory wiring manual on Ebay for reference.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thank you.

This might sound odd, but I'm okay with just manual locking hubs, with a push button transfer case. I really just need to get rid of that lever on the floor. Looking at the wiring diagram, not knowing where I would get a vacuum source from, etc, makes me think that auto locking hubs might be a bit more complicated than my understanding of 4wd systems would allow me to complete in a timely manner. Next year I'd probably look into the auto-lock hubs, but for now I'll just lock the hubs in for the duration of winter.

I know that wiring diagram is pretty straight forward, but I am honestly having a difficult time understanding how the nv-273 connects to whatever switch is used to select between 2-hi, 4 hi, 4-lo, n. If I buy an NV-273, have it rebuilt, how would I go about wiring up a switch to make things work? Any ideas?

Thanks for all of the input! You guys are great.

The NV273 is a great T-case. They're plentiful and cheap too (I have found them for under $200 for rebuildable units). 2005+ has an updated shift fork and bushing design that is better than the '99-'04 so those are more desirable in my opinion.

Here is a good source for the t-case internal parts...

http://www.quad4x4.com/fordNV273Fparts.html

The next van I build will have the ESOF NV273. It doesn't take much to get it to work... A switch, module, vacuum source (for the hubs) and a few odds and ends I can't think of at the moment. All parts from a Super Duty truck though so they're easy to source. Duplicate the wiring out of the factory manuals and you're set.

One day I will posses the skill set to do so =) At the moment though, I require some hand holding or a tutorial to read schematics and understand them, and to get this sort of work done.

If I can locate a tutorial online for rebuilding the transfer case I would certainly give it a try! So far I'm not having much luck though, and I see a lot of bearings and such that I'd have no idea how to remove or press back in.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow, you guys are awesome! Thank you.

This might sound odd, but I'm okay with just manual locking hubs, with a push button transfer case. I really just need to get rid of that lever on the floor. Looking at the wiring diagram, not knowing where I would get a vacuum source from, etc, makes me think that auto locking hubs might be a bit more complicated than my understanding of 4wd systems would allow me to complete in a timely manner. Next year I'd probably look into the auto-lock hubs, but for now I'll just lock the hubs in for the duration of winter.

I know that wiring diagram is pretty straight forward, but I am honestly having a difficult time understanding how the nv-273 connects to whatever switch is used to select between 2-hi, 4 hi, 4-lo, n. If I buy an NV-273, have it rebuilt, how would I go about wiring up a switch to make things work? Any ideas?

Thanks for all of the input! You guys are great.

On the Super Duty, there is a vacuum pump for the hub actuation.

As for the switch... The square box in the center of the first diagram I posted represents the 4x4 control module. The switch, vacuum pump, transfer case gear selector motor/encoder, VSS, datalink connector, power/grounds and indicator lights are all connected to this module. The module takes the switch input then commands the vacuum pump and motor/encoder and indicator lights to do their thing. The switch isn't connected directly to the shifter motor because the motor needs the module to tell it how far to rotate the shaft.

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
One day I will posses the skill set to do so =) At the moment though, I require some hand holding or a tutorial to read schematics and understand them, and to get this sort of work done.

If I can locate a tutorial online for rebuilding the transfer case I would certainly give it a try! So far I'm not having much luck though, and I see a lot of bearings and such that I'd have no idea how to remove or press back in.

Here is a pretty decent illustrated pictorial of a NV271 teardown. It is the Dodge version but aside from the tailhousing, they are pretty much the same thing.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/5ykhl-dodge-3500-4x4-2003-ram-3500-4x4-single-axle-chain.html

The F-series factory service manuals have a lot of detailed info about rebuilding these too.

I'll be doing a rebuild on a NV271 sometime this fall/winter. I'll be sure to take pictures and do a write up. There are some good pictures of my NV271 in my build thread if you want to see inside.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...s-Quadvan-Build/page14?highlight=mgmetalworks

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Make sure you get the switch, wiring harness and control unit from the same vehicle to avoid some potential problems we experienced once.

Rebuilding T-Cases is very easy and straight forward, 2 hours max. To be honest, just get a good one from a lower mile truck and bolt it in. Not much to go wrong with them and if it is bad, switch it out with another. R&R is only 30 minutes. I buy them for anywhere form $50 to $300 and not hard to find.

Sportsmobile Fresno has a brand new NV273 that they want to sell - it is just collecting dust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior