Just picked up a 1st gen Trooper

Byrnie Mac

Observer
Some of you stopped by my thread asking for opinions on a 1st gen I found on my local CL. Between here, and the nice guys over at PlanetIsuzoo (really cool forum by the way), I was encouraged to snag up this little guy.

Going from $0 in the fun budget at the time I found it, I was able to make enough moves to put her in my drive way in about a week's time.

It's an '89 LS with just under 131k on the clock. Manual, of course. The previous owner is a kid, and clearly didn't care too much about it. Driving away from his house, I felt like I was giving this old girl a new lease on life...like I was saving her from certain death. Who knows how much longer it would have lasted just getting abused...

I need to fix some dents (I'll post up all those when I have time), I need to fix an exhaust leak (I'll be plumbing a whole new exhaust system anyways), but before all of that, I need to clean the hell out of this thing.

So far I got pretty much what I asked for. No big surprises as of yet. The trans shifts great, throttle is responsive, clutch feels strong, turning radius is awesome, rolls very smoothly. All the power windows work. Not sure if the gas gauge is working, I put $15 in and didn't really notice a difference.. but when I went to put fuel in the tank, I saw what was being used as the gas cap... one of those moments where all you can say is "Really?!"

...all in all, it certainly has it's issues, but we'll see where we are when the dust settles. I have a lot of cleaning to do. But aside from the negatives here and there, it's an '89 with crazy low miles and a strong transmission. I did a partial trade for a rifle and some cash, total investment at this point: $1,150

onemanarmy

Explorer
thats a good find. First things first, and will cost you nothing.

relocate the grill emblem to the correct center position.

V6 or 4 cyl?

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
If you're gonna take the emblem off, I'll take it!

I've got one or two emblems I'm not planning on using if he wants to keep his.
You can have it for the shipping!

BTY, I have 5 Troopers. 3 89's and 2 86's. One of them a 2.2L Turbo Diesel.

Looks like you got a good deal Bernie!

Clean enough for the money!
I especially am jealous about the electric windows.
I had to wire in some in the Wife's 89 Trooper.

Do you know about Jerry Lemond in Georgia as a parts source?
Troopers are the most under rated off road Expedition rigs out there.
I have cut up the frames and they are beefy!

Slip some lunchbox lockers in the diffa and Tera Lows in the T case and you will be unstoppable. I've seen guys with this set up embarass other 4X4 rigs at Moab.
Even in IFS!

onemanarmy

Explorer
Funny you mention Jerry....he is a good source. I got his last V6 speedometer cable for my 91. Then I sold it. Bummer.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Funny you mention Jerry....he is a good source. I got his last V6 speedometer cable for my 91. Then I sold it. Bummer.

Been Good Friends with Jerry for about 45 years. I take a trips to his place about 2 to three times a year and always take a big trailer to haul parts back.

First met him when he was working for Honda in the Mid 70's!

I was building Honda powered race cars back then.
Good Times! But, I blew through a lot of money back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior