Finally starting my POP UP build. Looking for some info/ideas.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Ok,

I have a 2003 10ft scamper I am lifting for some extra clearance for taking on dirt roads. It will not be going up rock crawling trails or anything like that. I just want to add some bigger tires and give is some extra clearance.

I am going to weld a set of spring perches above the axle that is on it now. I hope to get 4" of height there. If I need a couple more inches I was going to extend the shakles wth some new ones.

Next up I have a set of pro comp es1000 shocks from a front of a ford F150. I was planning on putting them in the build to calm down the bounce. Is this a good idea or not?

On the inside I am insulating the beds with some reflective materials, and installing memory foam matteresses. The rest is pretty much good to go. I need to repair a rail that has unscrewed from the roof inside.

another question, are the rails for the lifting mechanisim supposed to be loose at the roof? my roof moves around a lot and one of my lift rails sticks a lot.

New to the pop up deal. We love the size of the camper for the 4 of us but I want it relialble .

Waygoner

Observer
I flipped the axle on my my old pop-up and added taller tires. Plenty of clearance for most FS roads. The tires/wheels came from Walmart, mounted and ready to go. I think they ran around $75 each. I like your idea for the beds, should be an improvement over stock. I would imagine adding shocks would help the ride. Can't help with the lift rail questions though.

silvrzuki77

explorer
hey there, saw you posted in my thread figure I would post here for others. I think it is a great idea to add shocks to help, but smoothing out the ride I would ditch those trailer springs. My old build was a teardrop I used lifted suzuki samurai springs, having longer springs will help with travel, smooth the ride, and keep the body from destroying its self. The trailer springs were mostly made to carry alot of weight. Hope this helps?

kojackJKU

thanks everyone....going to the samauri springs, i will have to move mount points right? what about making a softer spring pack?

silvrzuki77

explorer
Still is small leaf versus the longer spring which would help with smoothness. I used samurai springs because they are two inches wide but you could use something different.

kojackJKU

Ok, I may get the local spring maker to make me a custom set to do what I need. Samauri springs are hens teeth around here. I would have more luck getting a custom pack made. Maybe push the mounting points our 6 inches either side and keep spring height the same.

silvrzuki77

explorer
yeah sorry, dont get used samurai springs! like screwball posted or trail-gear springs. The front springs are shorter obviously, but have more weight capacity. I am assuming your camper is about 1500 pounds? I would use the trail gear 3" lift springs. I used those on my teardrop sprung over and it worked great! try them in spring under first if it doesnt give you the height you want than spring it over.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Ok, I will check them out and see what I come up with! On a side note, we are purchasing a new rockwood HW 296 for "normal" camping duties. So the pop up lift project can get full attention and go a little more "wild"!

kojackJKU

We need enough lift to fit 285s. I am going to run them on AEV saverge wheels to have ample spare tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94