Basecamp and garmin maps

steelnwool

Hi,

I just downloaded the free Basecamp from Garmin on my MacBook. The maps aren't really detailed, and apparantly I can upload maps from my GPS device.

What I'm curious about, is with the Garmin licensing structure, are maps tied to specific devices and you enter that devices serial number into Basecamp so they know you are authorized to use those maps?

Also, can you recomend good trip planning software for the mac that can be used offline, such that I load my map data ahead of time?

Thanks

robgendreau

Explorer
Dunno about Garmin's stuff; I have it but don't use it.

I'd suggest taking a look at web-based trip planning solutions. I use Gaia GPS Pro, but that's a subscription service. There are lots of others; Trimble has a pretty decent web interface for planning trips and then downloading maps and routes to one of their apps. Even Cal Topo or Google Earth can export routes, I believe. And in a format that any GPS could understand.

And have a peek at Road Trip Planner by Modesitt Software, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/road-trip-planner/id805071244?mt=12. I use it a lot. But even more useful is his Utimate Public Campground Project, which is for both Mac and iOS. Super useful, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-public-campground/id737369000?mt=12

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hi,

I just downloaded the free Basecamp from Garmin on my MacBook. The maps aren't really detailed, and apparantly I can upload maps from my GPS device.

What I'm curious about, is with the Garmin licensing structure, are maps tied to specific devices and you enter that devices serial number into Basecamp so they know you are authorized to use those maps?

Also, can you recomend good trip planning software for the mac that can be used offline, such that I load my map data ahead of time?

Thanks

Hmmm I use basecamp on my mac all the time for trips, and it seems to have every road I ever wanted to travel on it from dirt to pave.
The best trip planning software for me is one of the cheapest. MS Streets and trips. Very quick, stupid easy. The best part is that it tells you based on the speed limits where your day will end (based on your parameters) and what time you will get there. You can also put it your speed (faster or slower than posted), how much you plan to stop etc. This is HUGE and has saved me many many times trying to figure out where I will be at the end of the day (or for lunch), as some of the more creative routes take days longer than the direct routes. It also lets me know that if I will be in the middle of nowhere at the end of my planned day. So I better plan to leave early that day, stop earlier, run later or change the route. This is indispensable for folks who travel on the road less travelled. I don't know of any other product that is this good for planning.
Two downsides, 1) it does not reasonably convert the route to the gps. So I plan and plan and plan with Streets and Trips (changes/options even crazy re routing ideas take seconds to input) , then create a new basecamp that matches prior to loading to GPS. 2) It does not work on apple products, so I use it on an old PC.
Still, it is hands down the best product for planning purposes hands down.

Last edited:

steelnwool

So they can export routes, but can you recommend a tool that is good for off line looking? It would be nice if i could tell Google Earth to download a few hundred megs or a 100 mile radious or something.

steelnwool

Just checked. By default google earth has 2 gigs of on disk cache. i supsect thats plenty if you just pre-scan your area while on line.

dms1

Explorer

The TOPO maps can be installed on more than one GPS, The City Navigator maps can only be installed on one GPS at a time.

All of the maps can be installed on more than one PC to be used with Basecamp, however you will need to connect the GPS City Navigator is licensed to before you can install the software on each PC.

Last edited:

robgendreau

Explorer
I forgot to mention Route Buddy. I found their setup to be rather expensive, but it does work offline. Compare the map prices with what Garmin would charge you.

As you probably realize now the offline trip planning tools for Mac OS are pretty limited. You can get stuff like MacGPS Pro and buy topos, but I'm not sure it's very useful for a long road trip. Basically all the best stuff is on iOS or Android (though the MS product might be great if you can find a way to make it work).

verdesardog

Explorer
The best place to get get Free maps for your garmin devices is gpsfiledepot.com. You have to down load them, the after they are on your computer you can put them into your garmin using basecamp. You can get most all states 1:24000 topo maps there and lots more also.

el_topu

Adventurer
The best place to get get Free maps for your garmin devices is gpsfiledepot.com. You have to down load them, the after they are on your computer you can put them into your garmin using basecamp. You can get most all states 1:24000 topo maps there and lots more also.

Thanks for the link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94