Jeep Unlimited Purchase Help Please

luk4mud

Explorer
Jeeps have gotten ridiculously expensive. The price jump form the TJ to the JK was crazy. How about a good used one coming off lease return? I bought a used 2012 Rubicon in July 2013 for $30k, 24k miles at the time. Lifted, aftermarket bumpers, lights, aftermarket drive shafts, armor. Built by an automotive engineer the right way, $10k worth of mods.

So deals are out there for good low mileage used ones. If that does not float your boat, then I would buy a new Sport and gradually build it.

rlynch356

Defyota
I was in the same quandry... I ended up buying a 15' JKU Sport with Hard top, bluetooth, and Auto as the only options.
Pretty much a blank slate which when i looked at the real differences on the rubicon, low range is 3:1 for the sport, as opposed to 4:1 for the Rubi, and electronic lockers and sway bars and for most people the Dana 44 int he front of the Rubi...
I was on the fence about the 4:1 ratio, and the Lockers, but after some research and talking to owners of both ARB air lockers are Superior, and the Dana 30 has the exact same weak point as the 44, so not much there.
I'll spend the 10k delta on things that make a difference for me.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
If you have time before you buy look into a Tread Lightly membership, it will get you a code for a new Jeep at 1% under dealer invoice. I used it for my JKUR and saved quite a bit. Most dealers will honor it, unfortunately not all, though. I'm lousy at car negotiations and was glad to have this deal, you might be good at negotiating and get a percent or two more.

+1

I would get the 3.73 ratio if you're going with a Sport or Sahara, 4.10 if you're going with a Rubicon. I would also add limited slip in the Sport or Sahara, and the Max tow package in all three trim levels. If you don't want any power options you have to look at either the Sport or Rubicon.

I was in the same quandry... I ended up buying a 15' JKU Sport with Hard top, bluetooth, and Auto as the only options.
Pretty much a blank slate which when i looked at the real differences on the rubicon, low range is 3:1 for the sport, as opposed to 4:1 for the Rubi, and electronic lockers and sway bars and for most people the Dana 44 int he front of the Rubi...
I was on the fence about the 4:1 ratio, and the Lockers, but after some research and talking to owners of both ARB air lockers are Superior, and the Dana 30 has the exact same weak point as the 44, so not much there.
I'll spend the 10k delta on things that make a difference for me.
This is exactly the advice I give to people about the new jeeps. I should have never spent the money getting the Rubicon package on my LJ, as now everything I want to change is what I paid extra for in the first place.

dp7197

Adventurer
This is exactly the advice I give to people about the new jeeps. I should have never spent the money getting the Rubicon package on my LJ, as now everything I want to change is what I paid extra for in the first place.

I went with the Sport as well with plans to build later if I so choose.

oc357

what options are you looking at? I got a 4 door Rubicon, hard top, conveniency package, automatic, and factory remote start for under 34k out the door. I know I was lucky but there are deals out there.

The Willys edition is the only other model I would consider.

Since we are in the same neighborhood I have to ask.....where did you find that deal? I have talked to a few dealerships but they are not at that price on a Sport....out the door.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles