Stewart and Stevenson 1997 M-1078. 4x4 diesel Clear AZ title. Phoenix Price Cut

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Stewart and Stevenson 1997 M-1078. 4x4 diesel Clear AZ title. Phoenix ** SOLD **

1997 S&S M-1078.
Approx 16,000 according to odometer.
Very unmolested condition, no scrapes, no scars, not rusted or sandblasted underneath.

Cat engine
Allison 3070 7 speed transmission (includes transfer case).
CTIS (Currently disconnected)
Tires are as new. Above 80% tread depth.
Tray comes with fold down seats, tarp and hoops plus removable ladder.
Seats 3 in a cab over configuration.
Hydraulic cab tilt.
Hydraulic spare tire rack.
Air ride suspension on the cab. (rides better than my Freightliner).

Couple of minor issues that I know about.
Scratch on windshield from wiper.
Passengers door latch not functional.
Oil leak from Cab/Spare hydraulic controls.
Open circuit on wiring to the alternator. Bypassed with a manual switch at present.

Finally a army surplus truck that has a clear title and you can test drive before you buy it.

$15,750 Firm. (Down from $16,750.00 original price)

Checkout the basics

This is the only photo I have at the moment. Other photos will be taken tomorrow and some action shots on the weekend.

The moist patch under the truck is from the rain and not an oil slick. Yes it does rain in Phoenix. Too often this year. All photos are as the truck sits after driving it from LA to Phoenix and around the place to get it titled. I'm way to lazy to spruce it up for a photo shoot.

Trucks.jpg

OK I am listing this for my buddy who is a bit forum challenged. He brought this only a couple of months ago to build an expo truck. But the shoulder surgery he is having will keep him from being able to get in the cab for a least a year.

m1078-2.gif

i-W8wkBRG-M.jpg

i-kVRFhpz-L.jpg

And this is an example of how it could quickly be converted. Not my scene but it may suit some folks.

i-KSwk85F-M.jpg

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The not so good bits.

Oil leak from hydraulics for the cab/spare system. Parker control valve, probably an oring but I am not going to pull it apart to find out.

i-5gTGmS3-M.jpg
Oil Switch.jpg

Scratch on the windshield from the wiper blade.

i-jWb2T2r-M.jpg

Some weeping from somewhere on the engine. Does not drip but something is getting out. The moisture underneath the truck is from the rain. Definitely not an oil slick or I would not let him park it here.

i-WhVCWnJ-M.jpg

The problem listed below was due to a faulty exciter relay. Swapped relays and alternator is now excited. I will leave the text below for full disclosure.
If you look closely in this photo you will see a toggle switch. It is supplying power to the regulator. This normally should come from the "On" switch in the cab but the is an open circuit there somewhere and this was the most expeditious way to get it functional. The full wiring and service manuals are available online. If you start at page 1390 of this manual it will lead you down the yellow brick road to the happy place where you don't have to manually control the charging.

Service Manual Part 1

i-Xm9BwWx-M.jpg

Last edited:

crazyjane

Observer
For the alternator issue.....check the alternator exciter relay. Its located in area along with all the other relays.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
For the alternator issue.....check the alternator exciter relay. Its located in area along with all the other relays.

Good call. Swapped that relay out with one that wasn't being used and now we have a very excited alternator :luxhello: :luxhello:

i-6GnxhpM-M.jpg

I had a bit more of a look at the hydraulic oil leak from the control panel. It is not the buttons I believed and have indicated on the prior post. It is coming from one of the control valves above. Not a constant drip but enough to be a PITA.

Leaking valve.jpg

Also I raised the cab (because it is fun) and had a peek around where there is some seepage of engine oil on the turbo side of the engine. Without being a Houdini my guess is somewhere around the filter housing. It is not coming from the head or to my belief any of the front engine seals.

Now for a couple of good things. I wish my Freighliner had all the service points as easily accessible as this truck. Engine oil, Tranny fluid and coolant fill points are right beside the air filter and accessible without the cab raised. Engine and tranny oil sample points on the outside of the frame.

i-QbdT93T-M.jpg
i-kdN8NJc-M.jpg

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Stewart and Stevenson 1997 M-1078. 4x4 diesel Clear AZ title. Phoenix

Last day exclusively on Expo. Tomorrow it goes on crazies list.

m1078-2.gif

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok it didn't get onto crazies list yet. Still only on expo. But it's taking up space in my backyard so I only have 3/4 of an acre spare.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Ok it didn't get onto crazies list yet. Still only on expo. But it's taking up space in my backyard so I only have 3/4 of an acre spare.

If you need room to park it I will volunteer. I have plenty of room, I also promise to exercise it at least once a week.:ylsmoke:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Now that would be a road trip. Phoenix to Seattle via the shortest distance and no interstate. A weeks worth of food, camping gear and a bunch of 50 gallon fuel drums and off you head.

We took it down to the PHX meet and greet session last week. But I forgot to turn the air onto the cab air bag. Now I know what the guy from Dirt Every Day was complaining about. Creaks and groans from the socket where the cab settles onto the frame and a rough ride. But on the way home it was way better.

So when do I need to pick you up from the airport?? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94