Looking for a good 6-8 person car camping tent

Honu

lost on the mainland
I think with the REI thing the return policy is a year but there warranty will still go on you will just get it fixed you can't walk in and want your money back for the new model kinda thing sadly abusers like the costco stuff made it change ! talking to a REI manager about it for fun they said the amount of kids shoes returned was insane

Negotiator

I will likely be picking up the BA Flying Diamond. Even though I can't fully stand up inside, the head room problem wasn't as bad as I thought. I found a new one for $350 from an authorized dealer which certainly helped with the decision. I did also see a Kodiak tent. If I didn't get that good of a deal on the BA then I probably would have gone with a Kodiak.

AML

Adventurer
I think you made a fine choice. Let us know how you like it after you have been out in it.

Negotiator

The Flying Diamond came in Friday. I did a test run in the backyard. It was pretty easy to setup without assistance, it took me ~15 minutes the first time. It was semi-sheltered but still caught some of the 35+mph wind gusts we had today and weathered them without any trouble. I'm planning to take it on a camping trip in the next few weeks, I'll report back after I've had a chance to take it out for a few nights.
BA Web.jpg

AML

Adventurer
I think with the REI thing the return policy is a year but there warranty will still go on you will just get it fixed you can't walk in and want your money back for the new model kinda thing sadly abusers like the costco stuff made it change ! talking to a REI manager about it for fun they said the amount of kids shoes returned was insane

Honu, I went this past week into REI and asked. They guy I talked to showed me some pole fix it options. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. He made it sound like getting replacement parts would be impossible. The Big Agnes is looking better and better.

Negotiator

Looks good. Is that the 6 or 8?

Where did you end up getting it from?

That is the 6 person. It felt like it could comfortably sleep 3-4 adults with equipment. I ordered it from BackCountry Edge, they had a 20% off coupon (MY20) that included most of the products in their store.

Honu

lost on the mainland
thats a bummer !

I know someone who had one fail recently and he was offered a new tent same model but newer version ? not sure if its up to store by store a bit these days or what

Honu, I went this past week into REI and asked. They guy I talked to showed me some pole fix it options. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. He made it sound like getting replacement parts would be impossible. The Big Agnes is looking better and better.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Just an FYI for the future. REI regularly has their "garage sales", and you can get a kingdom 6 for like $40. Most have a problem, like a broken pole, but they have tons of the same model so you just buy 2. Spare parts, or toss em. They even let you set them up.

hwc1954

I think the Kingdom 6 is an awesome car camping tent, but it would NOT be my choice for wind. The pole structure isn't going to be as strong as a more traditional dome shape. For moderately heavy wind, the Marmot Halo 4 or Halo 6 would be a good choice. Rounded shape, strong poles. The best 3-season tents like this are going to be good for sustained winds in the 20 to 30 mph range. Here's one with a very similar size and pole configuration to the Halo (designed by the same guy):

If you need exceptional wind strength above that range, then it's probably gotta be a true 4-season tent. I have a Marmot Thor 3P that would probably survive a tropical storm gale. Here's the 2P version doing well in strong winds, even with no guylines (what were they thinking?)

In a larger tent, the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent would be a good choice -- a true dome tent with four poles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94