Kiffy 3 wheeler

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.kiffy.fr/index.php?lang=en_US

I saw this link on Wired.com. Kiffy is a portable, foldable "bicycle" with dual front wheels. To maintain stability, the front wheels tilt into a turn, and have a parallelogram action on a side slope. The downtube separates just behind the head tube, allowing the Kiffy to fit into the trunk of a vehicle, or to store in a small space at home. Once separated, the front section can be used as a shopping or delivery cart.

The Kiffy uses one or two speed internal hub gearing, so its use on an unpaved surface would be limited. Address this issue, and I'm confident the Kiffy could travel long distances carrying camping gear.

This seems horribly impractical yet enticing all at the same time. BMX tires and some gears? Maybe a bit better. Wondering how it handles a lot of weight over the front wheels...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Should handle the weight in front well - it would be low. I've thought about one of these (there are others similar out there - including conversion kits for standard bikes) as it would allow carrying a standard backpack in the front instead of requiring panniers.

The conversion kit would be nice in that it allows use of real gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles