AND YET AGAIN: Paul and Mike Try to Build a Hard-Sided Do-It-All ADV Trailer

southpier

Expedition Leader
I've had good luck keeping a substantial amount of water from infiltrating a piano hinge by laying a strip of naugahyde under the whole thing and then trimming the excess after the screws are in.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
With all the movement of body parts, I'm thinking of weatherstripping the vertical corners with snap-on Naugahyde exterior corner covers... There is good vertical overhang from the plywood roof top platform to reduce the need for tight weatherproof sealing up there... Still weighing the options...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1100444.JPG

(above) With the help of a friend, the roof top tent support platform was placed on the roof rack... Next the tent pod was placed on the platform...

P1100445.JPG

(above) It's big when the tent is opened up...

P1100446.JPG

(above) Before the rear doors are installed... I like all the glass...

P1100447.JPG

(above) The grey color Mike suggested is a great choice...

P1100449.JPG

(above) Rear doors installed... Alignment is critical and both lower doors were scribed and trimmed to fit...

P1100450.JPG

(above) End of the day and the fitting is of the panels is close to done... Still have latching hardware to install and a hundred other details to work out...Sure is fun...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Its rare in a trailer to have almost more storage space that living space...might start a new trend? A good one I might add!!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Its rare in a trailer to have almost more storage space that living space...might start a new trend? A good one I might add!!
I'm glad that you're positive about the way this is turning out, Greg. Given all of the thoughtful and well-executed ideas in your own trailer build, your opinion means a lot to me. THANKS!

southpier

Expedition Leader
I'm sure I missed something along the way ....

if the rtt will stay on the rack (not telescope down to trailer level/ top of added toolboxes), what is the purpose of the folding windows & doors?

and in any case, what will keep the whole unit from wind-rocking while in use? will there be outriggers & pads?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm sure I missed something along the way .... If the rtt will stay on the rack (not telescope down to trailer level/ top of added toolboxes), what is the purpose of the folding windows & doors? And in any case, what will keep the whole unit from wind-rocking while in use? Will there be outriggers & pads?
There may be actuators added later to lower the tent platform to the pod tops. The design was done so as to facilitate their addition if I choose to go that way. We'll see.

The walls fold down for lowered wind resistance/easier towing and, much more importantly, a very open feeling when camped on a nice day. The independent folding sections allow you to block the wind or sun as needed while leaving the rest open. I will likely also be designing a 360 degree screening system so that the sides can stay dropped when the climate is pleasant but bugs are out.

I don't think any one knows to what extent the trailer will rock due to wind. Probably not as much as it will rock from people moving around in the tent, I wouldn't think. In any event, the trailer will not rest on its suspension; it'll be stabilized at either three or four points (depending on whether it's attached to the vehicle), so there's reason to think it might be OK. If it's not, I'll deal with it later.

Thanks, as always, for your interest in our projects.

southpier

Expedition Leader
from the last picture in post #134, don't the sections fold inward? this is leaving half of the floor space for moving around? if there are screens for all sections dropped, what's left?

or have I completely lost my faculties?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
from the last picture in post #134, don't the sections fold inward? this is leaving half of the floor space for moving around? if there are screens for all sections dropped, what's left?
If you look in Post #134, Paul provided a picture that shows the sidewalls flopped to the outside, where they rest on top of the pods. The piano hinge across the base of the sidewalls allows them to fold in either direction.

Anyway, with the sidewalls folded out and the front and back folded up against the ceiling, the 4x8 inside area will be totally open to the outside. Sorry for the delayed explanation.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
FWIW (belatedly) . . .

Notice in this picture:

P1100442.JPG

the piano hinge is attached above the pod by enough that the nominal 3/4" sidewalls have the clearance needed to fold outboard and lie flat on the pods.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I'm glad that you're positive about the way this is turning out, Greg. Given all of the thoughtful and well-executed ideas in your own trailer build, your opinion means a lot to me. THANKS!

Wow, thanks Mike, much appreciated and nice to know people read that stuff I post.

I have been following all the builds that both you are Paul have been working on, some great stuff in there. LOVE the Sprinter too. A buddy just finished a similar though less complete build on o a 2015 with the similar wheelbase. Love those vans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94