Suzuki or VW?

RotFuchs

Hello from me. I am long time lurker but I have not poste, until now.

I have read a lot for expedition and survival vehicles and am looking for one. Cheap, old I like old stuff) and I have no problem working on it. I have concluded in 2 vehicles. The Suzuki Samurai SJ and the VW T2.5/3 Syncro. As I live in Europe I can find both in abudance and lot of spare parts. But I do not know which to choose.

Suzuki Samurai (Hardtop)

*Pros
small
easy to find spare parts

*Cons
small (in some occasions)
leaf suspension (considering to changing with spring if bought)

VW T2.5/3 Syncro

*Pros
large and can be used in many cases (my work, exploration, camping, etc)
very good 4x4 system
easy to find spare parts

*Cons
some parts can be costly
almost 30 years old

Both vehicles will be lifted and their engines will be replaced with the VW 1.9TD, so the initial engine is not mentioned. Which one you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Andreas

ihatemybike

Explorer
I'd go with the dub, but then I like the ability to sleep in the back of my vehicles, comfortably, without moving a bunch of stuff.

libarata

Expedition Leader
The VW receives my vote. Though, It being old, and not in production would make me think twice.

tiagra

These vehicles are SOOOO different, how do you compare them?! I guess you should rather define your needs first, then decide which one you want. Living in a Samuarai can hardly be called living, in the Vanagon on the other hand it's almost luxury compared to the Suzi. 4WD system of the T3 and overall ride comfort is far superior, but this comes at costs. Mainly you trade in reliability on hard trails etc. As I said... define your needs first, then the decision will be very easy, as these two cars cover almost two different worlds......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles