Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy...

Default New guy...

Been lurking for a while... Some familiar faces, but most are not.

JL, Ottawa, 1980 XMOD 109 with Land-Cruiser axles, Cummins TD power, disc brakes, hydroboost, 37s. Currently serving duty as a daily driven pickup, but the plan has always been a van roof with a semi-camperized rear section. Also have a 1969 VW Westy that I am converting to TDI power for tarmac trips. Last truck was a CDN spec 84 Land-Cruiser BJ60, and before that I had a sprung over 109 which was a mess. I think this group fits my interest in 4wds better than the rock crawling sites as I use the truck mostly as a vehicle and secondly as an off-roader, and the bros are overtaking the rock crawling scene.

Here's a pic of the pile...

Welcome!

Nice MOD too.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen |

Welcome to ExPo

I'll be out closer to your end of the country next week... in Toronto for a few days on business.

Pete
    ~/\ ☼
    / -- \
    Pete Hartl - VE6PGH - 0VRLAND

EXPEDITION = (Encounters + Adventures + Experiences) x YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Oilburner
    Been lurking for a while... Some familiar faces, but most are not.

JL, Ottawa, 1980 XMOD 109 with Land-Cruiser axles, Cummins TD power, disc brakes, hydroboost, 37s. Currently serving duty as a daily driven pickup, but the plan has always been a van roof with a semi-camperized rear section. Also have a 1969 VW Westy that I am converting to TDI power for tarmac trips. Last truck was a CDN spec 84 Land-Cruiser BJ60, and before that I had a sprung over 109 which was a mess. I think this group fits my interest in 4wds better than the rock crawling sites as I use the truck mostly as a vehicle and secondly as an off-roader, and the bros are overtaking the rock crawling scene.
    Welcome to ExPo! Nice MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilburner
    Here's a pic of the pile...
    Aww come on. The snowmobile doesn't look that bad.

Welcome, sounds like you've gone through some nice rigs. Love to have a BJ series LC and a Westy too for that matter.
    Dave

99 D2

Welcome JL as always. This site has become my new 4WD home too related to those issues as well. I am hardly on Pirate and even Ih8mud these days any more it seems...

Here is a photo of JL's truck when it was much much larger, was a wagon, and in its buildup stage... A great photo though regardless

A

Your brothers are into rockcrawling?...Welcome to the portal!

The camaro steelies look pretty cool!

Haha, no, my brothers are not into rockcrawling! The comment was meant as a joke. "Bros" are a certain demographic of young males that seem to be on the rise, particularly on the west coast. They are sometimes referred to as flatbillers. Visit www.flatbiller.com for additional information. It was more of a joke than anything else...

I knew I would find you on here Andre, and I am surprised you still have that pic! So much got changed in the last rebuild (isn't that always the case though?). The roof and roof rack are slated to be installed on the truck this fall, or for any long trips that I take, but I have solid (windowless) roofsides now. I still run those tires (325/85R16 XMLs) for off-road, I just picked up some 37X12.50R17 BFGs for the winter. The wheels are FJ cruiser steelies, and I really like the way the 17s look on the truck, they look proportioned, and the handling is really good, less sidewall flex and they balance out nicely. It rides like a caddy up to 100+ mph, the michelins got a little squirrelly at 65 mph.

One of my buddies (with 22R powered toyota and a Wildernest camper) recommended this site for camperization info, so I figured I would sign up. So far, so good!

JL- were you the one who was talking about using a John Deere diesel engine in a 109 years ago on the LRO Mailing list?

1944 Willys MB
    1965 SIIa 88"
    1970 SIIa 88" RIP
    1971 FJ-40
    1973 SIII 88" RIP
    1975 Ex MOD 109" Ambulance/GS project
    1989 Range Rover (Xs 2)
    Blah, blah, blah...

Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre
    Being stranded with near zero warning is just not cool, especially if you're going off-pavement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast