Test drove a D1 5 speed today

antiacus

Observer
It was a 95 5 speed. Pretty much perfect body, great paint. Interior was a little rough, but i've seen far far worse. Some telltale signs on the interior of being parked too long: some rust in the sill plate screws and mildew in some of the door jams...

Had a little trouble getting the CDL to engage in low range but eventually got it to work.

The main issue, and why i walked away: It ran smooth all the way up to 3,000 rpms then started cutting out. Also would cut out at any rpm range with anything more than about 1/3rd throttle. The guy said his mechanic believes it's the vacuum advance. Long and short: i don't know enough to know if that's the case or not.

Killed me to walk away. He would have taken $1,500 for the truck :( I've wanted a 5 speed for a long time.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
For 1500.00 get it. That problem will be easy to solve. Highly doubt it is the vacuum advance. Most likely fuel or coil/amplifier. Maybe a sensor, such as throttle position. Worst case needs a valve job. The price is on the low end if the rust isn't too bad.

fishEH

Explorer
Early D1's are getting hard to come by. 5-speed even harder. Clean D1's with both of those nearly impossible. A tiny bit of rust is easily repaired.
It's a 20yo vehicle, of course it's going to have some mechanical issues. As David mentioned it's probably an easy fix, probably $100 or less. Don't be afraid of a little work. If you want a D1 you better get used to it in fact! :D

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
It will take longer to bypass the rear window ECU than fix the existing problem. And as stated above, get used to the nuances as they never end with a Disco, BUT it will likely never leave you stranded- especially being a 5 speed...

gchinsr

Observer
Early D1's are getting hard to come by. 5-speed even harder. Clean D1's with both of those nearly impossible. :D

Recently picked up a clean,original white 96 D1 5speed, that lived it whole life out west. Not many out there to choose from, but they do pop up once in a while. Good luck with your search.
Greg

Paul K

Observer
FWIW, I had a '96 5-speed. Had the same problem- turned out to be a throttle position sensor.

Sticky CDL is common if they haven't been used in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier