Zimbabwe 2014 - adventures in the bush

Hi...this time something about Zim, another country which unfortunately has the wrong reputation here in Europe, once the bread basket of Africa, now merely surviving, destroyed and annihilated by the "Hitler of Africa" - Robert Mugabe. A lot of Whites lost their farms, often under very brutal circumstances - and yet...we love it there, so much that we have done 4 trips here and found good friends. Zim is like our 2nd home in Africa!

This year we even took part in a 4x4 trial in Harare, organized by our friends of the 4x4 Club Zim.:

life in the bush...collecting wood, baking bread and so on

Once those tobacco auctions were stuffed with tobacco bundles, nowadays unfortunately only a little part of these big halls are used - but we still found it quite impressive.

Mana Pools National Park...it came even with a tyre change because of finger long thorns on a track. It´s one of our favourite NPs in Africa, right next to the mighty Zambezi with lost of wildlife and even a permission to leave the car and walk on foot..

This year we visited a Tonga village, this is a tribe in the North of Zim which goot resettled when Kariba Dam was built. The elder women smoke waterpipes made out of kalabashes. :)

kpredator

Adventurer
zim

thank you much for sharing.planning a trip to botswana, zimbabwe 2016.
hwange,chizirira,matausadona,mana pools.
can't wait

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Mugabe is a thug and has destroyed a great country.....my money will be spent in other countries...Botswana, Namibia and Zambia. Of course once Mugabe is gone he will be replaced by someone of his same caliber....

Glad you had fun and can enjoy the natural beauty of Rhodesia...I mean Zimbabwe.

Mugabe is a thug and has destroyed a great country.....my money will be spent in other countries...Botswana, Namibia and Zambia. Of course once Mugabe is gone he will be replaced by someone of his same caliber....

Glad you had fun and can enjoy the natural beauty of Rhodesia...I mean Zimbabwe.

yes, Rhodesia it is! And we are waiting for the better, but in Africa it´s quite a problem to wait for something better. The problem is that many people don´t want to spend their money there...but the ordinary people urgently need tourism, and if someone doesn´t want to support those governments...well then I actually wouldn´t even go travelling in my country. :) Namibia is also taking farms, but on a more discreet level. Zambia is quite corrupt too, they profit from the ex-farmers leaving Rhodesia.
South Africa is also turning a bit more racist towards white people...it´s everywhere, just very sublime.

kpredator

Adventurer
zimbabwe

tourism saves wildlife.
when camps and self drivers are active it makes it more difficult to poach.
gives wildlife value in the eyes of the locals.
yes zimbabwe's government needs to go.
but by boycotting you hurt the wildlife,national parks and game rangers
jm2c
kp

grogie

Like to Camp
Thanks as well for sharing these pictures. Your photography is awesome, and that is most interesting about the tobacco facility.

Sad at what has happened to Zinbabwe...

tourism saves wildlife.
when camps and self drivers are active it makes it more difficult to poach.
gives wildlife value in the eyes of the locals.
yes zimbabwe's government needs to go.
but by boycotting you hurt the wildlife,national parks and game rangers
jm2c
kp

Yes, we have seen it this year. parks used to be 15 USD for 7 days plus your camp fees, well now, Mana for example is at 20 USD a day and 20 USD pr night per person camping. That is very expensive. As a result of this, the parks are quite empty, except for self-drivers like us (not many though) and South Africans. We often complained to the NP staff about that, but they just shrugged their shoulders or laughed. And claimed that there are heaps of foreign tourists - which oviously was a lie. :)

Also, to see locals was epecially depressing this year. We have been to Zim in 2009, 2010, 2012 and now...and I must say that this year again, people wanted to trade wood sculptures for food and clothes, whereas in 2012 it was for USD. That is frightening! But these people need support, not charity or something like that, but poeple like us who want to trade with them, so they can earn their living! The good thing with this is - when buying a souvenir or any local service, there is no tax which flows into the government tills.

Of course, another controversy is about buying fruit and veg from the sides of the road...mostly, especially fruit, comes from stolen farms and should therefore be boycotted. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke