Pelican ProGear Elite luggage

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Love Pelican products, their initial cost makes them tough to commit to but their longevity and durability usually make up for it. I'll wait till I can buy a used one at a discount. I was hoping they'd make a light weight version that is durable, waterproof, and still shed some serious weight. I prefer using a hard case when I travel but the fees for heavy baggage has moved me away from pelican cases overall for airline travel. This is a cool step in the right direction for Pelican.

155mm

Adventurer
I've been using a Pelican 1620 as checked baggage almost every week for the last two years. They've managed to break off some of the plastic fins on the outside, but no damage to function so far. It's very nice not having to worry whether your luggage split apart, got wet, or got crushed.

Probably not worth the expense for most people, but it was worth it for me a regular traveler. The case itself is around 25 lbs and loaded up I'm usually at around 45 pounds.

Neat to see they are making a lighter weight version for this market. I'll stick with my 1620 though, as I've already bought it, and it's got a lifetime warranty.

troyboy162

Adventurer
I looked and they are right around $550? Has anyone seen them for better? I'm with you guys and pretty sold on pelican after the abuse mine has taken, but I too think the price should come down on these

Scoutman

Explorer
I've been using a Pelican 1620 as checked baggage almost every week for the last two years. They've managed to break off some of the plastic fins on the outside, but no damage to function so far. It's very nice not having to worry whether your luggage split apart, got wet, or got crushed.

Probably not worth the expense for most people, but it was worth it for me a regular traveler. The case itself is around 25 lbs and loaded up I'm usually at around 45 pounds.

Neat to see they are making a lighter weight version for this market. I'll stick with my 1620 though, as I've already bought it, and it's got a lifetime warranty.

x2. I used a 1560 for the past 3 years of fairly heavy travel and not a single issue with it. You always know when it comes down the carousel too. That thud turns heads. :)

Mine was a spare at work and since I was doing travel for work I snatched it for my luggage. Others in the group starting following my lead after they had trashed numerous personal bags, some on the first trip out. It is nice to see them making a lighter version for this purpose.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
what are the empty weights of the three pro gear pieces? I have been discussing with the better half that we need these as we travel a lot, and would be great to have solid waterproof luggage for travel.

kojackJKU

Well, we have decided to order a full array of elite luggage. We are ordering 4 30's, 2 27's and 2 22's. I am also adding a 1200 and 2 netbook cases for my gadgets. That will be some lifetime purchases there. Locked, waterproof luggage for our travels is awesome. Can't wait to get them now.

155mm

Adventurer
How are the prices? I bought my 1620 in 2012 for about $165. All the prices I've seen for these are much higher.

Hmm... I just looked at the warranty info... it seems on Progear luggage, the "lifetime guarantee does not cover the latch, handles, wheels, or internal accessories"

It seems like the latches are better protected than their standard cases, since they are recessed, but I don't like how they exclude these items since it is most likely the latches, handles, or wheels that will have an issue.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

That's exactly why they do it. 549.00 Canadian is what the 30" is going for. But I look at I have spent twice that in crap luggage just to get to places. The piece of mind is worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior