GMT 800 Tahoe vs TrailBlazer?

yossarian19

Observer
I've had and enjoyed a Jeep Cherokee since 2007. It's got some nice bells and whistles on it but I've had a few gripes over the years that I don't think I can get around.
I want a larger interior.
I want more power going up hills / passing on the highway.
I want better ride quality and less interior noise.
So I've thought about the import options but keep coming back to domestics. The 99-04 Grand w/ V8 is appealing, as is the 05+, but I'm not sure it's enough better than what I've got to justify the swap. If the Grand , of either vintage, is indeed a lot better then somebody let me know.

Anyway, on to my subject line - what are the pro's and con's of each vehicle for a long-haul family tripper, off roader, etc? I've got one kid now, might have another down the line. Minimal / light towing (well, maybe an occasional car or truck on a trailer - but it's not a priority)
The TB would get a 2" leveling lift, the Tahoe would just get the running boards pulled off.
Thoughts?

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I'd go withe the tahoe, more interior room, more options to be lifted if you go that route

give it some leveling keys to raise the front if you wheel & some 33's

TB has limited lift without extensive work & to me the interior isnt much bigger than what you already have

Eric_Kruger

go with the tahoe. there is way more of an aftermarket following for this platform. As a trailblazer owner I can tell you that everything you will try to modify on it will have a limit. Check out offroad tb, theres a ton of info there to read through should you wanna look closer. You can still make an awesome multi purpose ride out of the platform, just that parts are limited, unlike the tahoe platform.

Jcrayton99

Observer
I may be a bit partial on the trailblazer. It has done everything ive asked it to do with ease. Yes they have their weak points but so does every vehicle out there. A few bolt on mods and it turns a glorified grocery getter into a very reasonable trail rig. If you do go that route, dont mess with the 2" and just get MarkMC's 3".

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Did you do anything yet?

If you look at the dimensions...they are actually really close. I like the Trailblazer and they are quite capable...see my build thread...as well as very comfortable. First SUV not to need a rollover warning. Better fuel economy with good towing power. Either is a solid platform, but I have zero reason to ever consider trading my TB for a Hoe. A suburban would be different enough to justify, but I like the older ones of those far better.

rayra

Expedition Leader
We've had Tahoes for 15yrs, been very happy with them. Good room for 4 plus gear for road trips / motel traveling. And a nice roof rack for max cargo / camping. Plenty of power in the 5.3L in both the '99 and '05 models. 144k on our '05 now and doesn't leak a drop of anything. And a hell of a lot more interior room than the S-10/Trailblazer.

And is there any interior size difference between a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee? Thought the latter was trim and engine, same chassis?

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm service writer at a GMC dealership. IMO, the TrailBlazer/Envoy are the best vehicle GM has built in years. When considered from a "normal" duty cycle they are damn near bullet proof. Tahoe's/Yukon's are pretty reliable as well, front differentials on the full time 4wd/AWD models don't care for wide tires and dry roads, side case bearings usually get eaten up around 80-100k. I get a couple of transmissions per month on Yukon's as well.

I will admit that I see far more Yukon's than I do Envoy's. I've replaced ONE 4.2 engine in 10 years, can't tell you the last time I had a differential/transmission/tcase issue with one.

It's the interweb, one man's opinioin, take it for what it's worth!:sombrero:

yossarian19

Observer
I looked at what I could afford, what I needed and what I wanted. Bought an 04 Grand Cherokee with V8. Its more manageable in town than a fs and big enough for what I ever need.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior