Grand Cherokee WK2 Cargo Area Tie Down Tracks

epiccosmo

Adventurer
So, as I started the building process of my WK2 EcoDiesel the first thing I purchased was a Fridge. Granted, this isn't normally the first thing you purchase for a vehicle but we regularly travel 6-7hrs to destinations for the weekend and don't care to always have to deal with trying to get the basic necessities for our meals. Also, as I am able to get the vehicle built up for some overlanding it will be a great item for those weekend camping trips.

As I started to look at the cargo area I realized tying down the fridge would be an issue due to the metal track sliders that are back there as well as only have 4 tie downs in the corners.

Mac's GC Rails-1-Web.jpg

By looking around at other people's more in-depth builds with drawers systems I noticed some people were leveraging the "airline" style aluminum tie down stripping. So, I started researching this type of tie down systems and came across Mac's Custom Tie Downs out of Idaho and started e-mailing with Jeremy. I told him I wanted to replace the sliders in the back of the Jeep with their aluminum tie down tracking. He said no problem, they could do it, so I sent him one of the sliders out of the back of the Jeep so they could align the holes with the factory mounting holes.

Mac's GC Rails-3-Web.jpg

Within a few weeks I had their tracking at my door with all of the mounting hardware and I had purchased some tie down loops to go with it.

Mac's GC Rails-2-Web.jpgMac's GC Rails-4-Web.jpg

I was really impressed with the finish of the tracks and the quality of the hardware sent with them. That just left installing them. So I removed the rest of the factory sliders and bolted in the new tracks. The process took about 30 minutes.

Mac's GC Rails-5-Web.jpgMac's GC Rails-6-Web.jpg

I think the end result was well worth the wait and has already proved itself to work very well. The fridge is securely tied down now and rides perfectly on the tracks while being secured by the ARB tie down kit.

Mac's GC Rails-9-Web.jpg

I thought this was a great solution for any of the WK2 owners out there that are looking for a better method of securing their cargo. My experience with Mac's was absolutely painless and the hardware passed my expectations.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Did you beef up the plastic shelf in anyway? Seems to me that is a lot of weight to be tied to a plastic shelf that is being held in with plastic hinges and a plastic latch.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Did you beef up the plastic shelf in anyway? Seems to me that is a lot of weight to be tied to a plastic shelf that is being held in with plastic hinges and a plastic latch.

The shelf itself is pretty strong. Much stronger than I thought it would be when I pulled it out and tried flexing it. Plus the fridge sits near the edge where there is the most support. There doesn't appear to be any sagging or anything happening like that. If it can't support 50lbs then Jeep didn't do a very good job designing the cargo area. Plus you have the spare with the foam tool holder insert below it for support. Just like the sliders there are washers with the hardware to add support to the bolt holes.

The only weak spot I could see is the plastic latch point to the plastic surround. It seems like it should be strong enough as I have pulled up pretty hard on the fridge and the plastic shelf just slightly comes up on the outer edge but doesn't budge near the latch.

I don't think there is any chance for the latch to come undone and by the time you take the weight of the fridge and other cargo it would be pretty tough for anything to move. The tailgate also closes and covers over the plastic where the latch connects. Another layer of protection in my mind.

ccstone

Hi, sorry to bring this back around, but do you happen to have an order number or something Mac can look up to replicate this order? I think this is fantastic and just what I was looking for. Great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94