2015 Jeep JKUR - Daily Driver / Family Camp-mobile BUILD

lysol

Explorer
The winter wheel rims are not as wide right? I can't remember. I have actually been wanting to source a full set, but then I just can't come to replace something that works (stock rims). I'm actually glad that everyone is upgrading their tires on brand new jeeps because when the time comes to get new shoes, they'll be cheap.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
The winter wheel rims are not as wide right? I can't remember. I have actually been wanting to source a full set, but then I just can't come to replace something that works (stock rims). I'm actually glad that everyone is upgrading their tires on brand new jeeps because when the time comes to get new shoes, they'll be cheap.

The ones I have were the same measurements as the stock alloys. I think the other ones are also the same too. In a way the steel wheels are a downgrade for street driving. Mine are using the stock tires.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
chopped off the 3rd brake light stem. smoothed it out with a grinder and painted it. Still need to wire up the combo lic. plate/3rd brake light.

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpg
    IMG_1686.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 130

LL247

Observer
I have to thank you for the wheel info. After coming across this thread and seeing how great the steelies look I've determined that's the route I'm going. Surprising how difficult is was to find these without the 9048 part number.

Lastly, great looking Jeep!

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Thanks man. Glad to have helped.

Looking forward to seeing another JK with these.

I am now looking at also getting a set of the 16"x7" same cherokee type steel wheels.

either a set of 33" toyo M55 for a try, or risk some of those knock-off XZL 9-R16's with some wheel spacers? But then I would be forced to lift, and I had planned on running stock for a while.

I have to thank you for the wheel info. After coming across this thread and seeing how great the steelies look I've determined that's the route I'm going. Surprising how difficult is was to find these without the 9048 part number.

Lastly, great looking Jeep!

rlynch356

Defyota
real XZL's do not wear fast - they are a full mil-spec tire

XZL in 7.5x16 are ~31" tall and weigh 85-90lbs each btw..

I have no idea about the knock offs on eBay..

rovers north carries XZL's (about it in the US i believe)
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductD...ZBzjNc4zHRsuGw6MYzb4TaFUddymmpVwD5RoCMADw_wcB

Great tires for an expedition rig - but i would still go with the BFG Mud terrains KO2 or the all terrains because they can be replaced easily if you kill one and weigh about 1/2 as much.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Have you painted the hubs? They look the same (in the pic for this post, and in other pics below)... ?

maybe still clean after paint and shinny looking? I just got some black lug nuts, so I'll throw up a pic example close up.

I took the wheels off, masked the brakes, etc. and painted the center sections that are exposed.

With the steel wheels, even if you had a correct size center cap, the hub protrudes, so caps wouldn't work without wheel spacers.

real XZL's do not wear fast - they are a full mil-spec tire

XZL in 7.5x16 are ~31" tall and weigh 85-90lbs each btw..

I have no idea about the knock offs on eBay..

rovers north carries XZL's (about it in the US i believe)
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductD...ZBzjNc4zHRsuGw6MYzb4TaFUddymmpVwD5RoCMADw_wcB

Great tires for an expedition rig - but i would still go with the BFG Mud terrains KO2 or the all terrains because they can be replaced easily if you kill one and weigh about 1/2 as much.

Even if Rovers had the 9.00R16 real XZL, probably too expensive. not the most practical tire for sure.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Ham radio set up with tailgate mounted antenna

I ordered an Icom IC-V8000. Have a diamond NR770 antenna.

Waiting to finish my license plate/3rd brake light situation until I have my radio and antenna ready to install.

I am thinking of running the antenna wire and the light wiring together back through the tailgate. or at least doing it at the same time. trying to decide on the best waterproofing scenario.

How safe is it to run wiring up through the tail gate vent flaps? worse case, your tail gate rusts out. probably not a huge deal.

Anybody have any good pictures of wiring their antenna from the tailgate?

Also, any interior radio mount pictures?
I may just slap it to the passenger side of the center console plastic with the supplied bracket. Or maybe on top of the dash? But I rather it not sit in direct sunlight?

LL247

Observer
I ran my cb cable and led lugnut taillights through the existing grommet the third brake light wiring comes through. Made the most sense to me and came out good. Did it in the summer on my 08 and plan on doing the same thing on my 15. Why not go that route?

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I've got the coax for my CB running through my tailgate flaps.

I ran my cb cable and led lugnut taillights through the existing grommet the third brake light wiring comes through. Made the most sense to me and came out good. Did it in the summer on my 08 and plan on doing the same thing on my 15. Why not go that route?

Thanks guys. I'll post up a pic on which route I end up with. Without taking off the coax connector, running through the hole may work easier than the vent. Looks like the vents are only $6 if you need to modify one or break it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles