UHF vs GMRS

plh

Explorer
I don't understand this comment idahoan. I'm not a wireless systems engineer but I sure do talk hundreds and even thousands of miles on a regular with frequencies as high as ~50mHz not to even mention vhf/uhf stuff that is linked in a variety of ways to extend its effective range to cover most of the country and world. I have had a clear conversations from northern California to Australia from the seat of my jeep for instance using HF. Clearly line of site is not a hard limit.

Yep. HF skips off the Ionosphere.

Mashurst

Adventurer
OP's thread is getting hijacked a bit.
Yes. That's a good point. Where do we stand with this thread. What can we do for you WMDunkin? It seems the consensus view is that the radio in your original post would not be a good choice for any kind of Expo type use. If simple vehicle to vehicle comms within a group is what you are after, CB or just FRS is hard to beat. If you want to be able to reach out from a remote area, you need a sat phone or HF. VHF/UHF ham might be considered a kind of in-between option as under some circumstances it may be able to get you communication in/out of a remote area and offers great vehicle to vehicle in most cases. I created this matrix a while back for another thread and attach it here as it seems it may be of use.
ComparisonOfRadioServices.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne