Jeep JK Fridge Two Drawer Storage System

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I've been thinking about moving my Engel MT 45 Fridge from my Trailer to the back of my Jeep JK Unlimited. I thought I might as well build a system to hold it down and get two drawers out of the deal while I was doing it. Here is a preliminary sketch done in SketchUp.

Driver's side rear view:

Passenger side rear view:

Front view looking back:

The drawers are 11" tall, 17" wide, and 29" deep (outside dimensions). Each drawer has about 4700 cubic inches of space. I am thinking of using Impact-Resistant Slippery UHMW Polyethylene for the drawer sliders. I will use full extension drawer guides for the fridge slide out. The drawers will be wrapped in a good quality trunk liner type carpet. I think that will keep some of the noise down. They'll be held closed by a spring loaded slide bolt.

The carcass of the drawer system, the bottom of the slide, and the drawers will be made of baltic birch. Unsure if I will varnish, paint, or use some type of liner product on the carcass. Rough outside dimensions are 39" wide, 30" deep, and 24" tall.

I will either fabricate a barrier to seperate the cargo area from the people area or purchase one. Leaning towards purchasing the dog barrier from Dirty Dogs.

I'll attach it to the floor using the existing cargo tie down bolts. Probably with some type of reinforcement.

The holes serve four purposes. 1) they allow for air circulation for the fridge. 2) they allow for some access to both the area behind the rear seats and the cubby under the cargo area. 3) They reduce weight. I figured that I will save about 25 lbs by doing the cutouts. 4) They'll give me practice doing layouts and building templates for router use.

Powere for the fridge will be run to the back using heavy gauge cable into a Blue Sea Fuse box. Very similar to what I did on my Tacoma a few years ago.

Looking forward to any feed back you might have.

Cheers, Tate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94