The Go Huge Excursion Expo Build

gohuge

Observer
Hey all, I've been lurking for awhile. I own a 2000 Ford Excursion with the V10. I have been interested in Overlanding, as I am disenchanted with most of the "typical"
camping/campground options. I grew up adventuring around the southwest US with my dad in his 48 Willys CJ2A . I still have a 26' Toyhauler that we have elected to keep for
"typical camping" and need to be able to tow it. My Excursion does this well, but it is a big SOB, and to be able to go where I want to go, is going to need some modding.

I will post any changes here. Also, will be looking for help/opinions/options, so thank you in advance for any input.

I just recently prepped and Raptor Lined the Ex. I used 60 grit with an orbital for large sections. Did the rest by hand. Washed it. Wiped with Acetone. Then taped and sprayed.
Overall, very pleased with the result. The texture is relatively uniform, but the sun catches it and makes it "flash" in spots. Usually where I layered extra coating, i.e- door edges,
hood leading edge, etc. I think I am too critical. Anyone that has seen it, has been pretty blown away, which is good I guess. Once it hits the bush/dirt, then it will look more the
way I want it to look anyway, lol. Best part, no more scratches/chips!

Rear Quarter.jpg
Front Pass Side.jpg
Drivers side sanding.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Raptor 2.jpg
10711142_10203498850606639_1651546350572534743_n.jpg

Next on the block is the roof rack....stay tuned.

Last edited:

BushHead

Adventurer
Sweet, so looking forward to this. Just put X codes on the front of mine with a 2.5" lift, running 33's but may go 35 eventually. Been scratching my head over roof rack options(thus no rack )...can't wait to see what you do!!!

gohuge

Observer
BushHead, I will probably take it on in December, time permitting. I will actually be asking you, and others, for opinions/ideas. I want to build it low profile, possibly run roof top (go fast) lights up front, store Scepter fuel/water cans, and have the biggest RTT available (84"x 48" stored). If I'm driving the biggest SUV on the trail, I'm sleeping with my family in the Taj of tents. Money and time will dictate speed of the build. Roof rack then the bumpers first. I am at a point where I can dump money into the existing front axle, new brake pads/rotors, locker, etc. Or just buck up and get bigger beefier stuff just by getting a newer year axle. So, 2005+ D60 with OUO adjustable Radius Arms, and Carli Springs is on the menu. I plan on running washboard quite a bit...Cadillac mode would be nice. The increased turning radius, and articulation are obviously a plus too. If I don't have an axle available at the time I am ready, I will probably just focus attention to the Sterling first and do the locker for it. Usually, I can get a d60 with all the suspension for $500. They show up about once a month up here.
But, I am getting ahead of myself, lol. I get excited thinking about the end product. :wings:

Dratwagon

Adventurer
Looks good but I think it looks better all dark on the bottom and about your rack I plan on building just a base with removable sides, just my opinion.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Looking forward to the build, I've been on the fence about selling my H3T and buying a diesel excursion. 3 kids and a dog is going to get cramped in a hurry in a couple of years. Sounds like your on the right track waiting for a 05+ axle, to many benefits not to do it. Plus Im sure you could easily sell your old axle to a jeep guy.

gohuge

Observer
How much Raptor did you use?
I bought three kits. And used all three. Also went through about a quart of tint (auto paint without the hardener).

Thanks Silvrzuki. I would build a smaller vehicle (nissan safari JDM), but I need it to tow. Also, once you have the space it is hard to give up. I can hall sheets of plywood, or take the family out to dinner.
I've always had a truck, thought the Excursion was kind of cool...I love this thing. I want to get the most out of it. I am on the fence on the motor. The V10 runs well, but will be needing a freshening up. Will
probably end up with the 12V swap instead...we shall see. Motor is last on the list. No need for more HP, when the suspension sucks.

Last edited:

Waldo64

I strongly endorse Cary T's suspension mods as they absolutely transformed my X. Of course, you don't have the weight of the diesel up front so things are different. By all means, if you can do the work or have a good mechanic, do the Cummins swap with a manual tranny. Absolutely bulletproof combo. If I were starting from scratch, I might have bought a gasser to convert. They are available at low prices as mostly people just want the diesel.

The X is a beast. I am actually pondering picking up a smaller offroad capable vehicle (secondary, not replacement) as these critters are so huge. The problem is I am used to taking a lot of crap on the road with me and don't know if I could handle the loss of space. Then I see the Jeeps with trailers, but that is a larger combo than the X.

You did the outside to yours. I took the opposite approach: gutted the interior, sound damped => closed cell foam => mass loaded vinyl 'tub'. I have a QUIET 7.3 diesel with a great sound system. 200 miles on the slab seems like nothing.

As an aside: I replaced the stock front bumper with a Ranch Hand and need to fabricate some sort of air dam. I know I'm losing 1-2 mpg simply from so much air under the vehicle with the suspension raised. If I can find something to use as a base, I have no problem doing some fiberglass work and then a flexible lower extension. If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears. I haven't found anything from looking at other forums.

gohuge

Observer
That's Awesome Waldo64. I like hearing real feedback from product users.
I bought the V10 with that in mind... Once I get the rest dialed and set up the way I want, the heart transplant will begin...that is probably two years down the road.
Most likely I'll buy a donor Dodge, drive it home and gut it and rebuild the motor and do the 5th gear fix on the nv4500 , when the time comes.
The down side is that I will have to run the axles ratios (3:73's) as they are, with the V10 for a while until the Torque monster is dropped in. Not a huge deal, just no 4th gear when
towing. Fortunately, the family is going to be using the Toyhauler less and less, as the Expo build progresses.
As far as the Air Dam, I could have swore I saw somebody make one out of fiberglass on FTE, in the Excursion section? If you come up with a solution, please share.

AZ_Ray

Observer
I wouldn't give up on a set leaf springs up front, less weight and easier to work on, and with the right set flex isn't an issue.

And this with a sway bar hooked up

gohuge

Observer
So what do you think about the raptor liner now that you have spent some time with it.

I like it. It took a week to stop off-gassing and smelling up my shop. I get a lot of compliments. People walk up and want to touch it, lol.
They are surprised that I did it myself. They think it is a Pro job that cost me an arm and a leg, lol. Compared to the tired 14 year old paint job, with
rock chips, scratches and wear marks, it looks amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Might even try doing my new bumpers when I fab them....we'll see. I have a powder coat oven to play with this winter too...

five0merc

Curious as to how the liner is holding up for you? I am looking at doing the body line down on my super duty in oxford white, but line-x is so expensive. Looking forward to seeing more of your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles