My Cruiser needs a new motor does this cost seem outta line? Consider SFBay area.

Mayne

Explorer
I've got it narrowed down to a shop here in the SFBay area, but dear dog the costs! Granted I'm having some while your in there stuff taken care of, one being new injectors at about.$1k, it's still looking like a $13.5k bill. $4200 for long block, add after that, water pump, timing chain and slippers, injectors, new heater hoses, new vacuum lines, and motor mounts. I know shop rates are high.... $6800 there about in labor. It's OEM parts....

I'm Prolly gonna suck it up and play big boy. It does come with a 3yr unlimited mile warrenty. I've not heard of a shop offering this on anything frankly.

Par for the course?
Thanks
Mayne

P.S. I'd love to do it myself, but I've neither the time or the time to have it sit. It takes me to work almost daily.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Well, reverse engineer this. $6800 with $108/hr (ave. auto labor rate for LA according to google) = 63 hours. That seems like a cushion of time to me given your going with a long block BUT the R&R time surely adds up and if they are doing all the heater hoses, etc???

theside00

Adventurer
Is it for you 97 80 series? For that kind of money you could have a vortec conversion or well on your way to a diesel conversion.

Price could make sense if they are using all OEM parts and getting a new long block from toyota.

plh

Explorer
$13.5k fix on an 18 y.o. truck. I'd rethink that... Price may not seam out of line for the amount of work and parts involved, but the economics don't make it for me.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Not the same but I just got a quote of 9-10K for a complete rebuild of a 2F for an FJ60...that includes an H55 5 speed tranny...
I don't live in SF though

AndrewP

Explorer
Why does it need a new motor?

By far, the cheapest thing, is to find a running used motor and install. Ask around on ih8mud. Someone doing a diesel swap will have one. It would be a good time to do the head gasket too and it's likely you could find a motor for $1000 or less. The swap isn't that big a deal either.

You could talk to Mudrak in Sonoma or Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. Georg specializes in stuff like this and is reasonable, fair, honest, etc. At least call them and get a quote.

zimm

Expedition Leader
You're about to sink 13.5 into a truck worth 8. You need your head examined. If the motor on my lx470 goes tomorrow, I rip all the add ons off, part it, and buy a new one to move the **** to. It's not worth putting 13.5 into a 100 motor let alone an 80.

mph

Expedition Leader
Shoot...sorry u had this happen. But, that seems like a lot of $$$. What could 14k buy u? Could u swap parts? Sorry again...

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah, thats a colossal rip off!

For that amount you could drop in a Chevy LS series and still have money left over for gas.

Mayne

Explorer
Well, reverse engineer this. $6800 with $108/hr (ave. auto labor rate for LA according to google) = 63 hours. That seems like a cushion of time to me given your going with a long block BUT the R&R time surely adds up and if they are doing all the heater hoses, etc???

Yeah, that's heater hoses, OEM parts, vacuum lines, water pump, timing chain with new slippers, injectors, and motor mounts. Shop rates here are normally $120/hr, but that still?
As far as a new, used rig, I've got quite the bit of work invested. It wouldn't be a simple swap over. I've talked to Mudrack, and it's $7500 to start... That's if everything else is good to go. Valley hybrids did quote me for a V8 swap, but getting it ref'd was still questionable, as smog laws got tighter here. Example being the cats have to be within 3" either way of original location. It tends to make issues with the front drive shaft, and still a used motor. I can justify an expense like this once in 15 years, not twice in ten.

Mayne

Explorer
Is it for you 97 80 series? For that kind of money you could have a vortec conversion or well on your way to a diesel conversion.

Price could make sense if they are using all OEM parts and getting a new long block from toyota.

Only short blocks available from uncle T. They very in price by thousands depending on dealer. I've been quoted $6000+ for one at the local dealer, and seen them $3400 on line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles