My Cruiser needs a new motor does this cost seem outta line? Consider SFBay area.

Mayne

Explorer
I'm gunna call the guys in Gig Harbour, and see what the story is. If they ship, and if nobodies got any horror stories about them, then my regular shop could do the swap for about $6k.
I wasn't real thrilled with $13.5k before, and I'm even less now.
Thanks gang!
Mayne

Adventurer
TEM north of SF Bay

TEM rebuilt my H diesel for my HJ45, they did a great job, price was reasonable back in 2010 when they did the work.

Mayne

Explorer
I read the mud reviews on the enginehause... Run far and run fast! Was the consensus.
I'm looking at a short block from Yota at $3k, and seeing what my shop or maybe Valley Hybrids would charge.
Mayne.

djsixbillion

Adventurer
FWIW, I had a full rebuild done with all OEM parts, new hoses, vacuum lines, etc., all the stuff you are looking at. Block bored to 4.6L, and installed a (used) supercharger for quite a bit less than $13.5k. This was all done by Robbie from Colorado (best Cruiser mechanic in the states, as far as I am concerned) a few years ago. I'm not sure if he still takes on jobs like this out of state, but feel free to PM me if you want more info.

theside00

Adventurer
We are up here close to the enginehaus and I wouldn't waste the time in dealing with those engines. We have heard a few horror stories about all the motors they send out. You get what you pay for though. A good engine rebuild with factory parts will be at least twice that if not more.

You can do a brand new E-rod 5.3L crate motor that comes with all of the emission and stickers necessary to make it 50 state legal.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
A fool and his money soon part ways..... Just some food for thought. (no I'm bot calling anyone here a fool) Really glad the Paul did a 2UZFE japanese sourced engine swap a while back before he first sold it.... Makes me feel safer and better about my investment. I feel bad for the OP. I agree with the masses, get a newer (to you) rig with low miles and roll from there. Not sure how kitted out your rig is but for that kind of scratch you could buy a nicely outfitted Hundy from a fellow ExPo member, FleaBay or crasigslist?

Mayne

Explorer
I've got it narrowed to an engine shop in Redding that my dad deals with. Price is reasonable, less than half of the first quote, using mostly OEM with a warranty 3year 36k mi. They're not charging labor to replace things while already in and have to put back anyway.

I'm Crazy, but I try not to be stupid.
Mayne

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
As everybody else has said, why throw nearly $14k at the engine!? Even $6-7k seems like to much to me. $5k would be the max number I would ever consider tossing at the engine.

And as everyone also said, go v8 or swap in a diesel. Easily fit a 12HT with H55 and split case to your truck for $14k. Guy down in Arizona will swap in a v8 for $10kish and you will never look back.

What is the big draw to the original motor? For what it is it is alright but it is a gas hog and outdated. Also underpowered for a truck as heavy as an 80. Why not use the bad motor as an excuse to upgrade, especially if you have the coin to do it. And by the sound of it you do.

Cheers

Mayne

Explorer
I've nothing against V8 or Diesel swaps, but unless you're really up on Ca smog laws, and there are a few that are, then its a nightmare. I'd be headache ahead waiting for a complete supercharger.
I'm going to try and smog it, and maybe buy a few months. I'm Sourcing a short block from American Toyota, and I'll put together a head. I'll have the long block I want, and a price point that I can live with.
Mayne.
Not the cheapest, but it'll be factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles