Cummins V8 for Nissan Titan pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
http://blog.caranddriver.com/cumminssoon-cummins-diesel-powered-nissan-titan-teased/

For at least two years, Nissan has been hinting at adding a Cummins V8 diesel as an option to the redesigned 2016 Titan pickup. Now Nissan is flat out stating that the Cummins is on the way. We should see the new pickup in 6 months or so.

Lots of questions remain. Will Nissan introduce a 2500 series "3/4 ton" pickup with the diesel? Will the NV 2500 van get the new diesel? (The NV 2500 has a 5.6L gas V8 as an option, so the Cummins should fit.) Will the Nissan Frontier get a 3.0L V6 diesel option?

And the biggest question of all: How much extra will the V8 diesel cost? Gas prices are falling all across the country, reducing the appeal of a truck that uses more expensive diesel fuel.

mires

Adventurer
Seems to me that the Titan will remain in the "1/2 Ton" market. Their sales are not great which Is why I think they are offering the diesel engine in a lighter duty pickup (for now). I would imagine they will let Toyota venture into the heavier duty pickup market before they make that leap. As for the Frontier with a diesel engine. One can only hope. I can tell you I would be first in line for that.

superbuickguy

Explorer
While Dodge has most certainly got better, why is it that Cummins puts their motors in such dogs? The Dodge truck the 1st Cummins was in hadn't been updated since the 60s (okay, I joke, but just a little); the Titan? have they ever updated it besides a sheet metal refresh? Ah well, if it weren't for the Dodges rusting to dust, I'd not have Cummins available to put in other stuff :)

And frankly, when Dodge got the Cummins (and I love GM) everything else out there was crap (and I drive a 83 6.2 weekly)... now? All the big 3 have excellent power plants and trucks - so the "Save Dodge truck" bump that Dodge got just ain't gonna happen. Even if it does show any success, duramax was designing a light-truck motor that got shelved in the bankruptcy... so it's not a decade from production, it'd be 2 years if that...

and really, you want me to be positive about a import truck in the domestic truck forum? I frankly don't care it's built in Tennessee, it's still an import. Along that same vein, and to illustrate... I'm building an FJ40 that fits nowhere on Expedition because when it's all said and done... I might as well change the body mount bolts to SAE because that truly is the last metric on the truck... the axles, the motor, the trans, the wiring, the gauges... everything else is made in the USA.... and even what's left of the Toyota will be so modified that it's like calling a rock buggy a Jeep.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Not a nissan or titan fan, but excited to see more diesels in light trucks. With that being said, still nervous about a modern diesel and all the complications they bring. Looking to buy a truck in 3-4 years so I will wait and see how it all plays out.

jdinevens

Adventurer
While Dodge has most certainly got better, why is it that Cummins puts their motors in such dogs? The Dodge truck the 1st Cummins was in hadn't been updated since the 60s (okay, I joke, but just a little); the Titan? have they ever updated it besides a sheet metal refresh? Ah well, if it weren't for the Dodges rusting to dust, I'd not have Cummins available to put in other stuff :)

And frankly, when Dodge got the Cummins (and I love GM) everything else out there was crap (and I drive a 83 6.2 weekly)... now? All the big 3 have excellent power plants and trucks - so the "Save Dodge truck" bump that Dodge got just ain't gonna happen. Even if it does show any success, duramax was designing a light-truck motor that got shelved in the bankruptcy... so it's not a decade from production, it'd be 2 years if that...

and really, you want me to be positive about a import truck in the domestic truck forum? I frankly don't care it's built in Tennessee, it's still an import. Along that same vein, and to illustrate... I'm building an FJ40 that fits nowhere on Expedition because when it's all said and done... I might as well change the body mount bolts to SAE because that truly is the last metric on the truck... the axles, the motor, the trans, the wiring, the gauges... everything else is made in the USA.... and even what's left of the Toyota will be so modified that it's like calling a rock buggy a Jeep.

I know a few guys that like the Nissans and Toyotas because they are not union made...............

I'm excited to see the new truck/engine........I do like my super duty though =)

elee

Observer
I don't really see Nissan or Toyota going through with a 3/4 ton truck. As every truck maker are making the capacities comparable to the 1 tons of the 80's anyways. But I'm excited to see a V8 Cummins!

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I sure love my 7.3L Powerstroke though, kind of hard to beat 27mpg on the freeway in overdrive. I'm glad that US is finally allowing more diesel tech here. When I was last in Europe in '07, I was chagrined to see all the incredible diesel cars that could be had there but not in the US because of the stigma placed on them by the EPA. These cars never smoked under load, were extremely quiet and returned incredible mileage numbers. There was a Peugeot 607 that I drove in Munich that was fantastic.

Last edited:

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I sure love my 7.3L Powerstroke though, kind of hard to beat 27mpg on the freeway in overdrive. I'm glad that US is finally allowing more diesel tech here. When I was last in Europe in '07, I was chagrined to see all the incredible diesel cars that could be had there but not in the US because of the stigma placed on them by the EPA. These cars never smoked under load, were extremely quiet and returned incredible mileage numbers. There was a Peugeot 607 that I drove in Munich that was fantastic.

27 mpg 7.3? How?

jdinevens

Adventurer
I don't think he is referring to his truck, Its the Cummins guys that get 30mpg in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks remember :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke