1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Have you checked out mp3car.com ?

A few years ago, i was considering putting together a carPC for my 99 Taco....Never got past the research stage though.
I could swear there are some nice software options available, that you'll use as a a main interface, specifically geared toward automotive audio, OBD, and other things, and that have a module that automatically senses ignition start and shutdown, and will power up/down a tablet or PC, and maybe even just put it into sleep mode on shutdown, so when you start up again, its a pretty quick boot up, and IIRC, it will automatically start up and display whatever app you want, with practically no user input. ie ...Like if you have Torque running for your gauge display...

its kinda late here now, and my mind isnt working very well, so i cant remember specifics, or even proper terminology at this point...lol

But, yeah, check out mp3car.com if you havent yet.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
I would run two separate systems.

1) speedo, tach, and necessary gauges hard wired and bullet proof.

2) Extra, fun stuff on a tablet using OBII apps etc.

Tablets get old, outdated. New technologies come and go. The basic stuff should be timeless, the extras can come and go.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Not sure it would be up your alley but I like a clean piece of metal, alum, steel, holding the basic gauges. Speed, Tac, Temp, Volts, Fuel and whatever else floats your boat. Simple and straight forward. I can't stand the 2005-Current Tacoma guages. The updated Tundra dashboard is much better. I could see using the tablet as was mentioned above for Diagnostics, GPS, Entertainment and such but they go out of date fast and that truck will be timeless.

-jorge

You guys are right. I have been thinking about it for the past few days and I have come up with some wild ideas, like using Arduino technology to run everything, literally replacing all the switches on the dash with a tablet but keeping the gauge cluster. I am certainly intrigued by the idea of centralizing all the controls and media, etc, but the time and money I would have to spend to make this a seamless transaction would be insane.

I think for now I will run a small tablet, not permanently mounted, just to run things like GPS and diagnostics and media. Playing around and familiarizing myself with the technology before I make a permanent move.

On a side note, I have been making progress with the hard parts on the truck. I plumbed my ARB with -3 AN lines and mounted the compressor in the bed. To cover up and protect the compressor and the battery (which is also mounted in the bed) I modified some old school truck tool boxes to fit on either side of the bed. This will allow for major weather and theft protected storage and also give me a nice place to sleep on snow trips. A spare tire, fuel can, water can, high lift jack are among the other items I wish to provide permanent mounting for but I haven't yet come to any conclusions there.

I'll post pics later today.

seanpistol

Explorer
I have spent some time writing Arduino code for engineering projects... I hate Arduino.

I do like the idea of a tablet to co trol everything but the old school gauges.

seanpistol

Explorer
What other options are there that perform similar functions?

I honestly didn't even know Arduino could be used for dash gauges and controls... I used it for a remote controlled robot I built in school. Googled Arduino for dash control and was pretty impressed at some of the setups people have going on. If you can make it work, go for it!

jgilbreath

Observer
I was thinking the tool boxes would open from the top. Would be cool to have a full length sliding platform between the two boxes that could be moved from the bottom of the bed to flush with the tops of the boxes. By the way, this is one of my favorite threads to follow.

I plan on installing some kind of a drawer into the right side box, a drawer that extends from out the back. Also, both boxes will have access from the tailgate opening. Top opening boxes would be nice, but I had these laying around. Part of coming up with innovative ideas is to be thrown a curve and come up with a solution.

I also like that these are flush with the top of the bed.

Thanks.

bkg

Explorer
Absolutely brilliant use of the toolboxes. Very well done.

Though... Does this mean you're committing to the shortbox? (I think you should)

PIPELINE

Observer
Hi there! Just finished reading the topic top to bottom non stop! Great project!

Here in Ilha Terceira we still see a bit of those Toyota's around, some of them are in the offroad championship we have along the year!

Keep up the good work!

Greetings from Portugal!

Paulo

Happy New Year from Cool, CA!!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have other projects taking my time right now so finding a few hours to put together to achieve anything is rare. But I still move forward.

I have spoken with numerous different people now, one expert in robotics, one expert in engine electronics, as well as other computer techs, and I am excited about the possibilities using a tablet will provide. I have decided to scrap the idea of replacing the gauge cluster, but that almost opened up more doors as far as functionality goes.

Replacing the switches with a tablet, ie- ARB compressor, ARB locker (front and rear), front lighting, rear lighting, A/C, Hazard lights, etc, is actually shaping up into a real possibility.

As for now, I just need to get the heater working so I can drive the damn thing. It's COLD!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94