1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

collin

goo goo ganster
I really think it would be a cool feature.

On a side note, check out March 2015 Four Wheeler Magazine for a feature on a 4Runner I built last spring.

Funny, I just picked up the March Four Wheeler and read the article today. Amazing Toyota! My fellow coworkers (Autozone) didnt understand my interest.. Then again, they drive cars of which I dont need to mention

Anyway, Fantastic Rig. Cheers

Funny, I just picked up the March Four Wheeler and read the article today. Amazing Toyota! My fellow coworkers (Autozone) didnt understand my interest.. Then again, they drive cars of which I dont need to mention

Anyway, Fantastic Rig. Cheers

Thanks. A lot of guys don't get it. At least Jeep owners have that saying "it's a Jeep thing..."

Small progress.

The hole in the firewall that was previously filled by the stock '83 steering column had to be filled. I was getting smoked out.

I made a plate, cut a hole in it, welded a custom machined bung to hold a Tacoma steering shaft seal. Et voila. Only 3 more holes to fill...

Important note - if you don't grease the seal, the lip of the seal will stick to the paint on the shaft and tear when you turn the steering wheel. I know this firsthand, I've made the mistake before on a customer's rig.

Skudman

So very detailed! Top notch work, looks like some of the best I've seen. You sir are an inspiration to get off my tuckus and turn some wrenches. Really really nice work!! beautiful welds by the way.

Yeah, get off your tuckus and go build a truck! I guess I have a symbiotic relationship with you guys. I seem to be helping to inspire some of you and you guys keep me going just the same.

On a different note, I ordered all my switches yesterday for the dash. I am using Carling Rotary switches for most duties, with the exception of the winch in/out and the horn button. I chose to use Carling Rocker switches for those two. I am having "The Switch Guys" at OTRATTW make me a custom switch panel with all the labels laser etched. Now I just need to make room in the dash for all those switches.

I also decided to go with the NRG steering wheel hub quick release. The Works Bell hubs were too expensive.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Cool switch. I have not seen those before. Big fan of OTRATTW too. Excited to see that dash come together.

Amazing work quality! I wish I had the extra cash to send my Montero to you.
You don't need extra cash. The right amount will do just fine...! Thanks.

Cool switch. I have not seen those before. Big fan of OTRATTW too. Excited to see that dash come together.
It was tough finding anybody who sold the switch. I contacted the switch guys to see if they could label the switches like they do the rocker switch, but they cannot. So now the bezel (or panel) needs to be well thought our before I order it. If I can't fit the switches in the proper slot, the label on the bezel won't match. It's a tight dash as it is. I am actually having to move the heater controls to be able to make everything fit.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
It was tough finding anybody who sold the switch. I contacted the switch guys to see if they could label the switches like they do the rocker switch, but they cannot. So now the bezel (or panel) needs to be well thought our before I order it. If I can't fit the switches in the proper slot, the label on the bezel won't match. It's a tight dash as it is. I am actually having to move the heater controls to be able to make everything fit.

You probably already know this, but using right angle connectors like below will give you the most room.

EC06537B-7468-4256-8195-70664C429222_zpsuop6djqh.jpg

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
That button on the NRG quick release isn't necessary, it's something the lawyers added and it will constantly pinch your finger. Most guys remove it, I did on mine and it worked flawlessly for years on a track car.

You probably already know this, but using right angle connectors like below will give you the most room.

EC06537B-7468-4256-8195-70664C429222_zpsuop6djqh.jpg

I figured I could use the 90's but I hadn't thought about making a harness. I usually use the Carling connector housings because I love specific harnessing of wires, but your photo was an epihany. Sometimes I am too close to my work and need to take a step back.

That button on the NRG quick release isn't necessary, it's something the lawyers added and it will constantly pinch your finger. Most guys remove it, I did on mine and it worked flawlessly for years on a track car.

I didn't know that. Thanks for another great tip. Like I said, I wanted the works bell quick release, but I can't fathom the price.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I can see why that town you live in is called Cool, because everything Stoffregen Motorsports builds is just flat out Cool! Phenomenal and tasteful work on all of the Toyota’s you build. I was drooling over the 4Runner when I got that mag a while back. Even a bigger fan of your work because you are not another one of those hack and bed bobber builders that ruin nice little trucks. Great work
waytogo.gif

That's funny. They say Cool is named after a man named Cool, but I don't buy it. I think it was a hippie compound...

Which 4Runner feature were you looking at? The white '87 or the gold 3rd gen?

I appreciate the compliment. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier