Overland Journal: 1995 Range Rover Classic

Arktikos

Explorer
That model is a nice looking truck. There are a handful of them around here in semi beaten up condition. I gather the door handle hardware is second rate on these, as the ones I've looked at have at least one that is broken or non functioning.

Scott Brady

Founder
I gather the door handle hardware is second rate on these. . .
Almost all of the early Land Rover parts are second rate. ;)

But when everything is working, they are magic.

If this was a Land Cruiser with the same miles, nothing would be needed. I have a list of over 50 items that need work. Yes, it is a sickness ;P

David Harris

Expedition Leader
If this was a Land Cruiser with the same miles, nothing would be needed. I have a list of over 50 items that need work. Yes, it is a sickness ;P

How hard are the miles? That FJ40 in Top Gear Bolivia might have had the same miles as yours but on terrible roads and overloaded its whole life. Hence it was falling apart compared to the Range Rover. It would still be 20 years old though, if all else is equal. Anything 20 years old is going to need some work for sure. There is always some little thing to do on old vehicles and that goes double for Land Rovers.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Our Land Cruiser LJ78 is similar mileage (more actually), and is flawless. Nearly every system in the early Land Rovers have a fatal flaw (their new vehicles excepted). This RRC has only 85,000 miles and has tons of little issues, everything from check engine lights to windows that don't work to doors that stick, to ABS/TC lights, to trim pieces, to the liftgate that required two hours to adjust correctly, etc. No way a Land Cruiser babied in the same way with the same miles would have those issues.

I have no interest in debating a glaringly obvious truth. I love Land Rovers, but do not see them through green colored glasses. It is a mistake to argue the reliability of these older Rovers. They are terrible- yet wonderful. Accept them for what they are and the work and attention they require. They are better than Land Cruisers in many ways, but fit, finish, reliability and component quality is not one of them. . . To argue reliability of early Land Rovers is to miss the entire point of the car to begin with. It is their charm and flaws that make the effort worthwhile.

I will get this one perfect and maintain it with vigilance. It has worked with my Discovery, which has proven to be extremely reliable with near-constant predictive and preventative maintenance. I change the fuel pump every 30,000 miles and carry a spare, including the entire wiring harness. I don't even know where the fuel pump on the Land Cruiser IS! :D

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Our Land Cruiser LJ78 is similar mileage (more actually), and is flawless. Nearly every system in the early Land Rovers have a fatal flaw (their new vehicles excepted). This RRC has only 85,000 miles and has tons of little issues, everything from check engine lights to windows that don't work to doors that stick, to ABS/TC lights, to trim pieces, to the liftgate that required two hours to adjust correctly, etc. No way a Land Cruiser babied in the same way with the same miles would have those issues.

I have no interest in debating a glaringly obvious truth. I love Land Rovers, but do not see them through green colored glasses. It is a mistake to argue the reliability of these older Rovers. They are terrible- yet wonderful. Accept them for what they are and the work and attention they require. They are better than Land Cruisers in many ways, but fit, finish, reliability and component quality is not one of them. . . To argue reliability of early Land Rovers is to miss the entire point of the car to begin with. It is their charm and flaws that make the effort worthwhile.

I will get this one perfect and maintain it with vigilance. It has worked with my Discovery, which has proven to be extremely reliable with near-constant predictive and preventative maintenance. I change the fuel pump every 30,000 miles and carry a spare, including the entire wiring harness. I don't even know where the fuel pump on the Land Cruiser IS! :D

No arguments on the issue of comparative reliability between the two, just that when talking mileage one also has to factor in the conditions and manner in which the vehicle was driven and how well it was maintained, as well as age to a degree.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, these Land Rovers are an interesting challenge. They need to be driven weekly, but preferably not daily, and if you push a hard and fast predictive and preventative maintenance schedule on them, they can be quite reliable. We took a half-dozen Land Rovers across the Altar Dunes and the length of the Pinacate, and had ZERO issues. But these trucks are all meticulously maintained and not over modified.

Our Land Cruiser is both older and has higher mileage. ;)

EricTyrrell

Expo God
The solid aluminum door handles have always been something I enjoyed about the RRC and D1. It's a simple tough design. I replaced the springs on mine with slightly lighter ones and replaced the plastic stop with a rubber one so they close silently.

Blueboy

Adventurer
if you push a hard and fast predictive and preventative maintenance schedule on them

Do you per chance have this in an electronic format that could either be posted or sent?

I try and keep up on my 94LWB according to the LR schedule and my local Swiss dealer recommendations, yet, always interested in what others are doing maintenance wise.

Thanks in advance.

junkyddog11

Oil Soaked Filter
In regards to the 2 door RRC. There just aren't that many around (in the USA). At the time a few were 'grey marketed' in. I have had a few in the shop and they all came through California in the early 80's.
Still have one but Im going to cut it all up and put 37's and a big American V8 in it so I can flail it around the woods of Maine unless someone with a big old Rover heart and a fat wallet saves it lol.

As to the relative neediness of the Land Rover vs the Land Cruiser……the reason the Land Rover has so many things (generally) that need attending to are due to the fact that they will keep on going even when half of the 'systems' aren't working, and they have something important to do, and don't have time for repair. Something I can't say I've experienced with Toyota. I've put several hundred thousand miles on both and fail to find the Land Rover as being unreliable and am often wishing the Toyota was half as reliable as claimed. I love them both.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
The first modification, which is half repair and half improvement. The low-beam element was out on the passenger headlight, so I ordered a pair of DOT legal Hella replacement 7-inch round lamps. They fit in the stock location and look stock. The big improvement is the H4 bulb and improved lens optics.
IMG_7774.jpg

For tires, I have decided to fit the new Cooper ATW for the winter. We have wanted to test this new tire, and it happens to be available in 215/85 R16 and it looks pretty stock.
atw.jpg

I will mount them black wall out. After the winter season, I will decide if they look "factory" enough and judge their performance.

junkyddog11

Oil Soaked Filter
You'll want to set them up with some relays (some later versions that were close to the end of the run had them similar to disco) or they will significantly shorten the life of your Hi/lo - on /off switch. One of the common 'wear' items. Worth checking.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
You'll want to set them up with some relays (some later versions that were close to the end of the run had them similar to disco) or they will significantly shorten the life of your Hi/lo - on /off switch. One of the common 'wear' items. Worth checking.

Yes. One of the best electrical upgrades for Classic headlights. Scott's 95 may already have them.

Blueboy

Adventurer
pair of DOT legal Hella replacement 7-inch round lamps. They fit in the stock location and look stock. The big improvement is the H4 bulb and improved lens optics.

I also thought there would be an improvement and I guess over the OEM there could be.

However, compared to the true "E" Code Hellas the light output is pretty poor.

Lucky right now to be in Europe where the "E" Codes are legal yet the difference is so dramatic I'll keep them installed when we return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior