Overland Journal: 1995 Range Rover Classic

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Scott, for the springs to raise the suspension back to the original Range Rover Classic height, with mild loads in mind, try the factory rally specification springs, as used in the Paris-Dakar trucks. The part numbers are NRC 2119 (green stripe) for the front and NRC 4304 (red/white stripe) for the rear. I have used these on two of my Rangies and they are the perfect all around springs. Great flex and handling without sway bars but not too stiff as to ruin the proper Range Rover feel. Old Man Emu and such are great for heavy expedition loads but so stiff as to defeat the concept of the Range Rover in my opinion.

Thought I'd post some photos of my 1989 RRC with the above factory rally springs installed. This is about a 1.75-2 inch lift which is slightly stiffer than stock all around. Tires are 245/75R16 Wrangler Silent Armors:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Wow! Thanks for posting those images. Do you still have the part numbers handy? The height looks about perfect.

The part numbers are NRC 2119 (green stripe) for the front and NRC 4304 (red/white stripe) for the rear. I am also using factory Discovery II rubberized shock tower isolators in the front which give about 3/8 inch more lift there (Part Number RB100111) and the factory rubberized coil spring isolators on the top and the bottom of each rear spring for about 3/4 inch more lift there (Part Number ANR2938).

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the part numbers. I really like the isolators in the Disco I, so will add those to the Classic too

I may upgrade the fronts to NRC 4305 when I add the ARB winch bumper and Superwinch Husky 10 to carry the extra weight. These springs have the same rate but are one inch longer than the NRC 2119. Another option would be factory Defender 110 front springs. I like the softer/longer springs on the Range Rover versus stiff OME and the like.

Mtanzania

The part numbers are NRC 2119 (green stripe) for the front and NRC 4304 (red/white stripe) for the rear. I am also using factory Discovery II rubberized shock tower isolators in the front which give about 3/8 inch more lift there (Part Number RB100111) and the factory rubberized coil spring isolators on the top and the bottom of each rear spring for about 3/4 inch more lift there (Part Number ANR2938).

With these springs installed, have you had any issues with steering? Don't really want to lift my RRC much because I love the iconic look of stock so I'm trying to find the best option. I really don't want to mess with radius arms, swivels, etc to correct steering geometry

Attached is a photo of how she sits currently

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 45

luckyjoe

Adventurer
A good option for the RRC without inducing a lot of lift, are the stock D1 rear Springs. D1 rears have a 210lb spring rate vs. the 180lb stock RRC rear spring rate - particularly useful if the Boge self-leveling unit is dead or removed.

Tom P.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
With these springs installed, have you had any issues with steering? Don't really want to lift my RRC much because I love the iconic look of stock so I'm trying to find the best option. I really don't want to mess with radius arms, swivels, etc to correct steering geometry

Attached is a photo of how she sits currently

No problems. Steers perfectly straight and steady at all speeds. This is less lift than OME.

ThorH

How is the quality of the aftermarket springs? (The 2119 & 4304) I can only find the 4304 from the UK. Are the genuine springs available anywhere for these springs?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
How is the quality of the aftermarket springs? (The 2119 & 4304) I can only find the 4304 from the UK. Are the genuine springs available anywhere for these springs?

I have genuine 2119's and aftermarket 4304's. I've been running this set for a few years now (all new when bought) and they are fine so far. Rovers North has the genuine 2119's for sale and may be able to order the 4304's. I don't know for sure. I bought mine from Craddock's in the UK and had them shipped over.

ThorH

Ordered the Genuine 2119 from RN and the 4304's from Craddocks. This thread has inspired me to not go the OME route and keep my 93 LWB closer to stock. Think I'm going to try the Michelin LTX AT2 in the 215/85-16 size.

Thanks for the inspiration Scott! Looking forward to more progress on your LWB Classic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 42

ThorH

It was already converted to coils when I got it. Everything is still there for the EAS except the air springs. Really thought about going back to air, but I too like the idea of just a little added height. Can't wait to fix the saggy rear end!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles