New to me montero gen 2.5

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
You do. What do you know about that antenna? My power antenna is broken and I'd rather replace it with something that isn't some motorized nonsense.

I'm not sure what type it is but it has electrical tape holding it on. I cannot get the radio to work. It's locked and says off on the screen. Any ideas on how to reset it and get the pass code?

Eric M

Adventurer
I'm not sure what type it is but it has electrical tape holding it on. I cannot get the radio to work. It's locked and says off on the screen. Any ideas on how to reset it and get the pass code?

Well that's disappointing. The broken mast on my truck is quite the eyesore. If it's the factory Infinity system you'll most likely have to get the code from a Mitsubishi dealer.

jlocster

Explorer
HC ave 13 : meas 42
I'm prety sure it wasn't burning oil until after I added the Lucas oil stuff. I went for a drive a while ago and it seems to not be burning oil anymore.

Your HCs seem a little high. Mine were last measured as follows:
15 mph MAX 47, AVE 7, MEAS 0
25 mph MAX 31, AVE 6, MEAS 1

So you might be burning some oil that is leaking past the valve stem seals, or you might be getting an incomplete burn and need new plugs/wires/coils...

That said, as long as you passed...you're good.

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
Ok so I want to start gathering parts in order to complete the timing belt and front cam seals. Is there a particular manufacturer I should stick with for these components. I was looking at th aisin timing belt kit that includes the water pump. It seemed to be the most expensive. And for the cam seals what is the best option?

Since my valve covers are dry I'm going to skip that for now unless I need to remove the valve covers to install the cam seals?

Thanks

There are two common jobs when base-lining a Montero of unknown history.

1--Front of the engine This includes: timing belt, water pump, front cam seals, crank seal, revised crank bolt/washer<----the revised crank bolt is critical
2--Top of the engine This includes: valve cover gaskets, spark plugs/wires, spark plug tube grommets, rear cam seals

If the top of the engine will be apart/accessible, I'd also strongly recommend you replace both rubber heater hoses and the rubber coolant crossover hose at the rear of the engine.

In that same vein, if the front of the engine is apart, I'd strongly recommend you replace your upper/lower heater hoses, accessory drive belts, and thermostat.

I'd recommend Mitsubishi stock replacement cam seals and o-rings. I've compared the Mitsubishi to the Felpro cam seals and the difference in build quality was noticeable.

All parts you might need for either of these two jobs are listed here

Last edited:

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Would you guys recomend using this kit for timing belt. I searched online and is shows its for 2000-2004 montero sport -GATES TCKWP287B Timing Belt Kit, No Water Pump Housing. This is the kit listed on the sticky post so I'm assuming its correct?

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
That's the one I used...still running fine after 40k miles.

Cool, I will go with that kit. Sorry i have so many questions that i know you have all answered before. Do I need to replace the crank seal? Also what web site do you recommend I order all of the mitsubishi seals , spark plug replacement parts and timing belt kit from? Looking for the best deal and service.

Thank you all so much for helping. Once I get the engine related witk done I will start my modifications for the trail.

Last edited:

gaston7

Observer
Congrats DirtyDC05! Huge fan of the Monty. I'm just over the hill from ya in Orange County. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

1995 Montero SR
33"X10.5X15 BFG AT KO

You can always make more money, but you can't make more time. Get out there!

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Congrats DirtyDC05! Huge fan of the Monty. I'm just over the hill from ya in Orange County. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

1995 Montero SR
33"X10.5X15 BFG AT KO

You can always make more money, but you can't make more time. Get out there!

Hey gaston7 thanks, I'm sure I would notice your rig before you notice mine! Looking foreward to making mine stand out from all the others but first thing first . I need to tackle all the preventative maintenance items first.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Need guidance on front cam seal install.

Hey Guys , So i just ordered all of the parts to complete the timing belt job and spark plug and valve covers. Spent right around 400 for everything. So now I wait for delivery. In the mean time im trying to get myself prepared to complete the job. I ordered the the timing belt tension tool , haven't decided if i want to make or buy the crank holding tool. I am reading the FSM and it show a couple extra special tools for installing and removing the cam and crank seals. I'm wondering if these are necessary to complete the install. I haven't found a write up or video showing the front cam seal removal or installation . Does anyone have alternative tools or technique to removing and installing. Another thing I'm not clear on is the removal of the cam gear. How do i keep the cam from moving while pulling the gear ? One more thing ,another member mentioned that I need to remove the valve covers to do the cam seal but I do not see that in the FSM . I would prefer to just do the front side of engine work first since my valve covers are not leaking at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Aaron

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
I started the tear down for the timing belt/w water pump, cam and crank seals. I took some pictures to show the condition of the timing belt and right side cam seal leak. I stopped at the harmonic balancer since I didn't make the tool for removal yet. So much crap had to come off just to get to this point. How does the timing belt look? Has small cracks.

Last edited:

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Cam bolt removal

So after thinking a bit about the cam bolts I thought why not break them loose while the old belt is still installed. I noticed there is a small indexing hole in each gear so I don't think I have to worry about the cam and gear slipping independant of each other. So I wedged a breaker bar on the crank bolt and frame and proceeded to break the cam bolts free. Worked like a charm. Not sure how I woulda held the gears still if the belt was not installed. The bolts were on there pretty good. Now I need to get the crank bolt loose. I guess it's time to take a trip to lowes for some flat bar.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
The belt looks like it needs replacing.
I wouldn't hesitate to install a fresh one.

Oh yea, definatly replacing it was just wondering how it looked. I have a car fax report that shows it was replaced at 62k at a dealer. This belt is mitsubishi branded. Due to its condition I'm guessing it was never replaced since. So it most likely has around 90k on it.

ljense8

Adventurer
You do. What do you know about that antenna? My power antenna is broken and I'd rather replace it with something that isn't some motorized nonsense.
If you still need to replace the antenna, it's pretty simple. I just replaced mine with a cheap rubber mast antenna from autozone. I'm not impressed with how it seems from a durability standpoint, but it has excellent reception. I will probably replace it with a better rubber mast in the future(they bend/flop around instead of snapping), but for now, it will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles