1964 FJ40 all original with 28000 miles

m1ashooter

fj40.jpg
Like the title says, I found a one owner totally rust free fj40 that has been sitting in a storage barn for years. 28000 miles. They aren't asking a lot of money and it seems like a good price but after making the mistake of talking to Greg at vintage off road I'm not sure anymore.

It is in excellent condition and is taken out once a year by my brother in law and driven around. It was bought as a "drive around the lake" (where we live) vehicle for a lady which is why it has so few miles. Everything on it is original like it came from the dealer. I understand that can be a bad thing in some respects like needing new tires, no power steering, no a/c, modern winch, etc.

I would welcome any input before my dad and I spend that much money. We will just turn around and sell it if it's something we could make money on. I've got an 80 series that needs some mods!

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I don't understand what Greg Mushro has to do with this truck. Is he selling it?

Any 28k mile all original Cruiser will sell for big bucks. My opinion, $30-50+k at auction if it is what you say it is.

Cheers

m1ashooter

Gregs input was that because it was a 1964 and all original that it was a pos and would fall apart with 30 days just like any fj built before 73 or 75. (His words not mine)I really wasn't able to ask any questions because he was ranting about how terrible the truck was. I didn't even send him a picture or get a chance to describe it before he went off. The way described it I would make a huge mistake if I bought it which is why I mentioned what I did in my original post. It was a very strange conversation. Apparently my 92 landcruiser is also junk (because it's an 80 series) and I should get rid of it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Forget what he said. That guy has one of the worst reputations in the Cruiser community worldwide. Why did you even speak to him about it!? Go over to ih8mud and do a search on his name and Vintage Off-Road. My bet is he was ripping on it because he wants it and so he is trying to turn you off to it and then find out where it is. The guy is a total crook.

:)

Cheers

Drover

Adventurer
Gregs input was that because it was a 1964 and all original that it was a pos and would fall apart with 30 days just like any fj built before 73 or 75. (His words not mine)I really wasn't able to ask any questions because he was ranting about how terrible the truck was. I didn't even send him a picture or get a chance to describe it before he went off. The way described it I would make a huge mistake if I bought it which is why I mentioned what I did in my original post. It was a very strange conversation. Apparently my 92 landcruiser is also junk (because it's an 80 series) and I should get rid of it.

Yes , those are both junk!! Please forward me the contact info for the 64' and I will save you the agony of having to deal with that. And yes, your 92' is a POS also, please send along your info and I'll take that too , for scrap metal prices, of course.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Forget what he said. That guy has one of the worst reputations in the Cruiser community worldwide. Why did you even speak to him about it!? Go over to ih8mud and do a search on his name and Vintage Off-Road. My bet is he was ripping on it because he wants it and so he is trying to turn you off to it and then find out where it is. The guy is a total crook.

:)

Cheers

yup...this

Expedition Leader
A dream Cruiser for a collector (if it really is original and unmolested), and easily worth what RMP&O said, if true. But for wheeling it or driving around very much at all, you'd be much better served by a later 40. The early 40's were primitive; three on the tree transmission, ball-and-claw front drive, primitive oiling system in the F engine, etc. I would drive it around, because I like antiques and can appreciate them for what they are, but most people would tire of driving it pretty quickly I suspect. And forget about driving it on the highway at all in stock trim.

m1ashooter

RMP&O thanks for the info. A little research proved very informative about Greg. Other people have had the exact same experience I've had and much worse. At least I know who NOT to buy from in the future.

Drover I think I better keep hold of my "junk vehicles" for now. :)

1911, that is part of my dilemma. I am not a collector and would rather sell it so I could use the money for a different landcruiser that I can off road and camp with. Thank y'all very much for your help.

Sempertoy

Explorer
run, don't walk with your money over to their place. If you decide to pass on it, please send me the sellers info.

m1ashooter

Thanks Kurt I'll probably go ahead and get it. I'm just a little worried because good stuff like this never happens to me. The "too good to be true" thing keeps going through my head but I do know these people so we'll see what happens. I'm going to ask all the specific questions mentioned here. I certainly don't know enough about them to know one years hub caps from another.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
On a phone so bear with me. A few other wrongs such as the hood pads, wrong for 64 and backwards. Top looks to be replacement along with front bumper and something is goofy with the soft door canvas (color) and vent window. Nothing to run from but I wouldn't recommend you be paying "all original" pricing rather it looks like a partial resto or perhaps survivor with mods. Given all the stuff that isn't original I'd suspect 128k, repaint, etc.

m1ashooter

It might actually be a 1967if that makes a difference on some of the stuff you're talking about. He originally said 67 but then said no wait I think it's a 64. I'm gonna get the vin tomorrow and find out for sure. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles