Ram Power Wagon

TommyG

Adventurer
New Power Wagon

We are just about a month into a 2012 Power Wagon purchase. Had a well built Tacoma extended cab back when I was single then moved up to a Tundra. When it was time for that to go, I was thinking of going back to a four door Taco. The lady that oversees my universe did not want to downsize but rather wanted a big truck. The PW seemed huge when I drove it around town the first time but it has not disappointed on the trail so far and you can't beat the hauling capacity or all that space in the cab. I honestly test drove it to try and convince her that the Taco was a smart play and fell in love with the silly thing.

I have had to run it to/from the airport for some business trips (a pretty good haul from where we live in the sticks) and it was comfortable and well mannered for multi-hour highway sessions. I like the truck more every time I drive it. As long as it will physically fit through the side boundaries of the trail, it will get you there. Be prepared to scratch the living hell out of it though. You will scrape the sides a lot.

I am just beginning to sort out our camping set up for it. Should keep me busy for the winter. I'll be starting a build threat once wrenches actually start to spin.

TrailWhale

Observer
Ok, Im Going to throw a Devils advocate opinion in here.
I looked at a Power a Wagon, and loved every bit of it. Except the price. They all seemed to have quite a premium on them about a year ago. For a semi loaded PW, I was looking at $45000ish at various dealers. +\- here and there of course. I ended up buying a Ford F-250, crew cab short bed. It has a manual shift transfer case, electric rear locker(no factory front), cloth seats, power windows locks etc. basically equipped like the PW I was looking at. I bought it out the door for $36,000. I then added a 6" lift, 37" tires, warn hidden winch kit and 12,000lb winch and some other miscellaneous items and am still under what the cost of the PW would've been. I do need to add the gears and front locker, but I still ended up slightly less. The Super Duty has a Dana 60 front axle, with manual locking hubs so in 2wd the front axle does not spin, I also got the gas engine which is 6.2L of pure enjoyment. Even on 37" tires I still get right at 15mph unloaded highway economy (if you can call it that) and I can still tow a house if need be.
Just wanted to throw an option to you, as I was in your shoes about a year ago.

PowerWagner

Explorer
Ok, Im Going to throw a Devils advocate opinion in here.
I looked at a Power a Wagon, and loved every bit of it. Except the price. They all seemed to have quite a premium on them about a year ago. For a semi loaded PW, I was looking at $45000ish at various dealers. +\- here and there of course. I ended up buying a Ford F-250, crew cab short bed. It has a manual shift transfer case, electric rear locker(no factory front), cloth seats, power windows locks etc. basically equipped like the PW I was looking at. I bought it out the door for $36,000. I then added a 6" lift, 37" tires, warn hidden winch kit and 12,000lb winch and some other miscellaneous items and am still under what the cost of the PW would've been. I do need to add the gears and front locker, but I still ended up slightly less. The Super Duty has a Dana 60 front axle, with manual locking hubs so in 2wd the front axle does not spin, I also got the gas engine which is 6.2L of pure enjoyment. Even on 37" tires I still get right at 15mph unloaded highway economy (if you can call it that) and I can still tow a house if need be.
Just wanted to throw an option to you, as I was in your shoes about a year ago.

Agreed that is one way to go. For full transparency you may give up the factory warranty. One of the good things about all that junk coming stock on a PW is that it is warranted.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Like Ford and dodge honor their warranties! Haha. The Powerwagon has a ton of features I really didn't need, so I also bought a Ford to fix up. Manual hubs and xfer case.

If you do get a Powerwagon, just add airsprings and Daystar spring cups to get back that towing performance.

TrailWhale

Observer
Actually you don't loose or void the warranty. Read this article. http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
I worked at a GM dealership for years, and we never voided a warranty for modifications. We could deny a warranty claim on a failed part if the modification caused the part to fail. However, the company that made the modified part was then responsible for the repair, and in my experience it was never an issue getting it paid. We actually installed lifts, wheels and tires, and tuning calibrations and it was all covered under the warranty.

The ford can be ordered with a nice low 4.30 gear set, and a full size 37" tire does fit in the stock location on the Super Duty, LOL

Don't get me wrong, the Power Wagon is an awesome truck, I was about 30 seconds from signing a check for one. I just wanted to give you an option, and my opinion. Whichever you decide be sure to post up pics. And I hope to see you out on a trial one day!
I will be at FullSize Invasion at Easter Jeep Safari in April,in Moab.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, if you buy new, buy as much gear as possible. 4.10 minimum. 4.30 would be perfect for me. 4.56 for 35" tires.

TheWorstKind

I had been planning on purchasing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock. Over the last couple of months, though, the Power Wagon has entered the picture, rumbled into the picture, actually! :)

The Jeep will be easier to drive on mountain shelf roads, but I believe the Power Wagon can do most of the passes, for example, in the Ouray/Telluride/ Silverton San Juan Area, which is where I plan on taking my next vacation. (If any of you can confirm or deny, I'm listening). However, I can sleep in the bed of the Power Wagon - I love truck-bed camping. Additionally, the Power Wagon would replace my 2003 F-350 Powerstroke, a good thing, since I don't want a bunch of vehicles (they do seem to collect here...) I have to have a truck; needs to be able to tow horse trailer, and I simply cannot imagine life without a pick-up, so the Power Wagon has certain advantages over the Rubi. Enough so that I think I am willing to forego the Rubi's off-road superior maneuverability.

For those of you that own a 2014/15 Power Wagon, is the rear axle still a mechanical, helical-type limited slip differential? I really hope so, as I love the drivability of LSDs. None of the local dealers can answer that question :( , and of course, none of them can produce a Power Wagon for me to look at/ test drive (one dealer thought he could, but it wasn't so).

Thanks.

JRH_PowerWagon_06

They have been building the new generation PW since 2005. Never with a diesel engine. Don't hold your breath waiting on them to ever offer that option.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
They have been building the new generation PW since 2005. Never with a diesel engine. Don't hold your breath waiting on them to ever offer that option.

Power Wagon + Diesel engine conversation =
deadhorse.gif

mrblond

Observer
image.jpg

I have a white 2007 6speed manual, last year of the 5.9 Cummins 2500. Waited 5 years for Eaton to release the Detroit locker for the big HD rear axle. Front shocks are 11" travel Bilsteins and rear shocks are longer. Rear spring pack is Carli full pack as is control arms, front coils are Thuren as is front upper shock mount and rear shackle. Relocated fuel tank vent for increased capacity and a few other minor improvements.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Jtranum

I seriously considered the PW last month when I was shopping for a new full size truck. I love everything the PW offers except the hemi engine. It needs the CTD in it badly. I ended up going with a 2015 tradesman CTD instead. I plan on adding front/rear ARB air lockers, lower gears, and a front winch bumper.

chromedragon

I'm an owner of a 2006 PW QC manual. love the truck to death. I have help folks out of ditches with the winch as well as getting my self unstuck from two diff snow banks in may up near Arnold CA. The thing is a pig and as others have noted is way more capable than the driver usually is. I have taken her on some jeep trails and it was tight but it handled all I have thrown at her. The on road ride seems to smooth out with better shocks and decent E grade tires I'm running cooper ATP's at the moment and love the ride just fine. I have added a front free spin kit and Dyntrac Ball joints at 75k. The third gens 2005-2008 all had 4.56 gearing as well as the other features mentioned. I agreed that I have contemplated a smaller rig for trail running but have not been let down yet by my PW and am contemplating finding an appropriate Travel trailer or light 5th wheel and making it my tow rig for long term RV/offorading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94