Best 4wd to buy in Australia for resale?

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Hello one and all-

We rented a Cheapa Campa van for what was to be a three month trip around Australia. Our trip got cut way short and we left most of Australia unseen. We are planning to go back for up to one year and now knowing that renting a 2wd van is limiting, my question is what would be the best vehicle to get for two people to see some remote areas of Australia and then be able to sell it quickly when our time is up? Troopy, 4wd slide-on camper, cheap caravan and good Land Cruiser? We are flexible.

Thanks for the help-
Mark

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Mark

We did that with a HZ75, although we ended up selling it in Belgium after 5 years... But I would think that you can't go wrong with a TroopCarrier (HZj78)

try to contact Martyn from http://www.africa-overland.net/ - he lives in Sydney now and could possibly help you. He knows the market very well.

newhue

Adventurer
It's all very subjective, but it would probably have to be toyota as marketing has worked very well here. It really depends on how much you want to spend, where you want to go, and what set up you are comfortable with or happy to tolerate. It is possible to do the lap of Aus in a 2wd, but some of the nicer less touristy stuff requires a 4x4 so your on the right track.
A 70 series troopy is OK to sleep in the back, but has an annoyance factor climbing in and out, and over every thing, or scratching around under the bed. Easy to find but perhaps not the most comfortable or fastest to move on. Backpackers like them but it's a question of if they can afford them as well.

A 100 series wagon, or yes the holy grail 80 series may be you best bet. Diesel 80's are usually well used, perhaps fruited, and cheap enough. Certainly don't entertain a petrol 4.5lt. The petrols are usually in better nick, and don't let people tell you the cheaper buy price and servicing costs balances out the initial cost of a diesel. Fuel at $1.70 per litter, and usage at 17-20lt/100 for a loaded truck at 100Km/h, a petrol is not a good car to do 20,000klm in. Whatever you buy make it a diesel. A 100 series is comfier than a 70 series and both are dime a dozen. Obviously the Turbo'd 1hz motor are sort after, but the dozy normally aspirated version is a reliable slug. I wouldn't tow in one but it may suit a roof top tent.

Trouble is every thing is easy to buy, but harder to sell when your leaving generally. Every set up has it's good and bad points.
Roof toper tents generally mean your staying put or have to pack up the bed to go for a drive. Cheap enough, could possibly chuck it after 12 months of use, and don't take that long to set up. They will add 1lt per 100 generally to your economy.
If you went for a camper trailer it adds weight so uses more fuel than a roof topper, and is always in the back of you mind of what it's doing back there, but allows home to be set up so you can explore and reasonably comfortable. If you go this route go a hard floor, soft floors take to long to get organised for a one night stop. You guessed it, hard floors are more expansive and you may have trouble selling what ever you buy at the end. They are very common nowadays down here.

A ute always moves fast as young blokes are always up for one. The slide on camper is OK, particularly if it can be removed and stand on it's own legs. But can be expansive to start with and hard to sell. Particularly if the economy isn't chipper. They are wind catchers like no other, so the economy will hurt.

If you don't mind a tent, and by that I mean a small fast to set up hiking tent, or maybe some hammocks, or even a swag.
I'd be looking into a 2000 to 2006 Mazda bravo twin cab with a canopy. Or even any of the later model Japanese twin cabs utes. 2000 to 2006 are simpler old school diesels but turbo's. Cheaper to run as they are 4cyl. No rocket ships either, but cheaper tyres, less weight generally, less registration, loads of space, plenty around, and are popular with families. They ride better than a 2 door ute, and with a canopy on the ute part they can be made lockable. Even if you went a slide on I'd still look into a two door variant over a full size LC. They will struggle a bit with the wind drag, but you haven't spent as much money either and your only here for a year.

I'm sure there will be another 1 000 000 perspectives, but some food for thought to start with.

Last edited:

Rumpig

Adventurer
if you were happy touring in a 2wd van, then get a Troopy or even a Lancrusier or Patrol ute with a canopy on the back to sleep in, they should be something people are after come time to sell. At the end of the day it's all about price as to how fast anything sells, trying to sell a caravan aswell as a 4wd could take alot longer maybe as it's 2 items you need to offload.Personally i'd love to tour without towing something, it's just so much easier to do, but having a family it's currently easier for me to take everything for the family in the camper trailer so that's what we do (and it's more comfortable then a tent).
i guess the question needs to be asked...would you be happy living in the back of a troopy or in ute canopy for a year? if the answer is yes then that's how i'd go, as these vehicles (especially Toyotas) are easier to get parts for once you go remote, due to the fact it's what the locals drive.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,
My mate has a HZJ75 1994 Troopy pop top camper for sale has fridge,pto winch ,bullbar, air con,twin tanks, water tank,heavy duty rear bar,near tyres great truck for two people to travel. I know it's a great truck cos it use to be ours. It's in QLD.
Pm me if you want some more info on the truck.

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses- especially "newhue". We know the troopy would be a very tight fit for us. The van we rented was a Ford Transit tall top LWB with stove, Frig and toilet. If that came in a 4wd I would go after that. But, we want the option to get back into the quieter spots that either the 2wd campers/vans can't or shouldn't try to get into. Even in our short trip we were faced with a few "muddy dips" and potential heavy rains that may or may not have gotten us stuck- so we had to pass on those areas.

I have been aggressively perusing Gumtree looking for what might work. I just don't want to be stuck with a vehicle that won't sell when I leave-I do expect to take a loss-just want to keep it to a minimum.

Mark

newhue

Adventurer
Mark, it may be possible, that in your travels you meet someone who can finalise the sale if you have gone. Not saying that is me, but it's possible to avoid a big hit and eliminated being desperate to move it. I sold a car to an American traveller, initally I spent a fair bit of time helping him get organised and on his way. I would have happy helped him again upon his exit if needed. We became friends and keep in touch now, pretty good deal in the end I feel.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
One other thing to keep in mind. If you buy the vehicle in a particular state, expect it not to be easy to sell it in another state as the buyer has to have it checked over and registered in their own state. I tried to sell a WA registered 60series in NSW and in the end had to sell it way too cheaply.
Different states have different rules when it comes to registering the vehicle. By far the easiest is WA, as long as the registration is paid for in time (which can be done online) it does not need to be inspected.
I don't know much about the other states, perhaps Newhue can shed some light on that subject?

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Toy- thanks for the heads-up. My thoughts at this point are leaning toward some sort of forward folding "hard-floor and then either a Mazda or Toyota Ute like Newhue suggested. I think if I can find one lightly used and already equipped- this might be the best route to go. Not sure how used forward folders resale is- but more room and rugged enough to get into the place we are shooting for.

Any other suggestions are always appreciated.

Mark

newhue

Adventurer
Toy, that is a good point. My feeling on it as an ignorant local who has never done it. Is if he car has current registration from any State; than a Road Worthy Inspection to change the registration over to the State you wish to sell in isn't that difficult, just a process really and perhaps 1/2 to 1 day mucking around. No matter which State you sell in, the vehicle has to meet a standard, so if any repairs have to be done like a new windscreen, or various oil leaks, perhaps brakes etc, may be more of a head ache in time and money.

Mark
I'll drop in my local transport department next week and see what I can find. Toy is correct, each state has it's spin on it, New South Whales (NSW) and Victoria (Vic) would be the more stringent ones. Hopefully my Queensland (Qld) department has a good overview.

Have you any thoughts on where you plan to enter and exit. Arriving East, leaving West makes sense, or vice versa. Generally it's 12 500 mile to do the lap but that's only the outside. Add another 1900mile to bisect the country Nth to Sth through the centre.
Plenty of good stuff in the interior but your options on how it's done can be limited. If you are up to it, an "prepared" there are some nice remote back country roads to make it easier from a latitudinal perspective, but if it goes pear shaped you just might not see anyone for a week or so. All part of the fun and frustration of panning a trip to a big country.
Unfortunately central Aus and Western Australia (WA) are a long way no matter where you are, but fortunately also have some of the best the country has to offer. If you like arid, less populated, big skies, loads of serenity, less frills or BS than these states certainly have it. Across the top from Darwin in the Northern Territory (NT) to the Kimberley's in Nth Wst WA is a huge amount of raw Australia. It's becoming popular with grey nomads, and den be very humid but that's life. Brooms a tourist trap, but Sth of there in spring is a mass of wild flowers. There are some nice beach camping spots with reefs just off the shore (25m) to take in plenty of marine life as well. PM me for those.
In the centre, West and Est Macdonald Ranges, Kings Canyon,and Uluru around Alice Spring (NT) would have to be some of the most interesting and amazing land formations in the country. And due Sth from Alice on the way to Adelaide the Flinders Rangers and Gammon Rangers are just beautiful. Not surprising artists flock to the area to capture it's colours. Oh I feel like a holiday now myself.

Back on task, camper trailers. Cub and Campomatic are a couple of the original and worthy of inspection. Kimberley is a well known, respected, but an expansive brad. They do hire I believe, have second hand ones, or have some buy back option I think.. My mate dropped 55K on one, dragged it around the country for 12 months with his family. Had diesel hot water, big fridge, heaps of water, dunny, all the bells and whistles, easy, fast, water proof, it just worked. When he got home he was pondering if he should sell it, though he could get 40-45 for it. For 12 months easy and fast camping accommodation with the family for 10 to 15K isn't bad money spent in my book. Maybe something that could work for you. I'd imagine the band would move easily at the end as well. Only down side that I see besides the price is, is that they are a 1.5T camper trailer.

Japanese 4cyl models to look for. I do admit these may struggle a bit towing a 1.5 trailer. Perhaps it depends if you want to race around a country or see it.
Mitsubishi Trition. 04,05 3.2 diesel was a good one.
Mazda Bravo- Ford Courier 04-06 2.5Td

Of course any of there cars from 06 to now all improve in power, but also plastic and electronics. Wikipedia is a good overview.

Anyway till next time.

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I have seen a forward folder called a MDC. Looks capable- but not sure how good it really is. Any comments.

We have not selected where to start our travels: so starting off where it is cheaper to buy and license a ute and a trailer is quite feasible.

Mark

Rumpig

Adventurer
I have seen a forward folder called a MDC. Looks capable- but not sure how good it really is. Any comments.
personally i wouldn't own one... the 2 people i know that have owned MDC's have both had gas struts on their campers literally explode on thier trailers, one of those persons has actually had 2 struts explode on his trailer aswell as a few other issues also. The person who had one gas strut explode... we rerouted the gas line in the kitchen area on their trialer, where it ran from the factory was a really stupid design, though was easily enough fixed by drilling a hole and rerouting the line through another area. For a front fold trailer i'd personally look at Modcon as an option.

Rumpig

Adventurer
Hi Mark,
If you're looking for a camper trailer and haven't heard of MySwag forum, then i suggest you join up and start searching the threads there for info on the many trailers available here in Australia. http://www.myswag.org
Here is one such thread along a similar theme to what you're thinking at the moment for example http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=40142.msg658959;topicseen#new ...there's a few other names of forward fold trailers there you might not have heard of to look at in that short thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles