2003 Land Cruiser first time buyer

costal_cat

Hello everyone,

I have not been on the portal long and have never owned a Land Cruiser. I have a 4WD VW Westy Syncro with a TDI conversion that I take off road a lot. I was at Overland Expo East a few weeks ago and started thinking I needed a second vehicle with more room for the family. Everyone I talked with said look at a 100 series. I did not really think I would look so soon but as fate has it a buddy of mine that as a car lot and I have purchased a couple of vehicles from for my wife called me and said he had just gotten a trade on a 2003 Land Cruiser. It has 160,000 miles 130,000 by the original owner. I picked it up last night to keep for the weekend and test drive. I was thinking about taking it to the Toyota dealer for a check up but I thought I would ask the forum if there was anything I really needed to check out...

It is all stock and really clean. It has some BF Goodrich AT 285/65 R18's on it. Interior has the wear you would expect for 160,000 and the exterior looks garage kept. The person that traded it in went for a Mercedes Diesel 2011 seemed to want something smaller and better gas milage..

He had it listed for 15,500. I have been talking 11,500 - 12,000 with him. The sub woofer is shot and the passenger seat heater appears to be out but other than that it drove great. I'm about 1.5hrs from his place so I got a good drive on it last night.

Here is a picture any thoughts suggestions would be great. I'm not in a rush but it is a color I would want and seems well cared for and looks to be a great vehicle but I dont know a thing about them...

Attachments

• LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 53

skivan

i don't think that's high. look on mud and you'll see an '03 and newer will get more. i bought my '04 with 140k for $15k. it was west coast though. can't tell if you're on the EC. i like the 03 and newer much more than previous for the 5 sp. fingers crossed nothing ever happens with the nav. read up on mud and see the Slee 100 series newbie guide. there are many threads detailing "what should i look for?".

bottom line though, if it's in good shape and you get him down around 12k you've scored big time.

(coincidently i have a syncro westy too)

costal_cat

i don't think that's high. look on mud and you'll see an '03 and newer will get more. i bought my '04 with 140k for $15k. it was west coast though. can't tell if you're on the EC. i like the 03 and newer much more than previous for the 5 sp. fingers crossed nothing ever happens with the nav. read up on mud and see the Slee 100 series newbie guide. there are many threads detailing "what should i look for?".

bottom line though, if it's in good shape and you get him down around 12k you've scored big time.

(coincidently i have a syncro westy too)

Right on thanks for the input! I just started to read up in MUD... I'm here in NC but it does not look bad underneath.. From the paint it certainly looks like it was garaged..

Cool deal on the synco i'm the same handle on The Samba btw I had a blast at Overland Expo in the Syncro handled the course like it lived on it, my buddy had his DOKA syncro SVX conversion and we had two more syncros from Quebec meet up with us. What a blast!!

Thanks again

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
He probably owns the vehicle for about 10 to 10.5 so you are very close to making a deal, if you like it buy it and do your PM and you are done!
Happy Trails!

fireball

Explorer
11.5 would be a really good deal for an '03. The mileage is a bit high, but there is a pretty big price jump with the '03s. To the educated, it's a more desirable platform with the 5 spd tranny.

You'd be looking at spending upper teens for something with significantly lower mileage. If the underside of this one is in good shape and it's got good service history I'd jump on it. It is soon due for another 90k mile service, TB, water pump, etc. So factor in about a grand in the not-too-distant future for PM.

Here's some good reading: http://sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

fireball

Explorer
There are only 8 '03 or newer in the country for less than $15k on autotrader right now, including this one. The pics looks great. At 11.5 or 12 it's a super deal provided it has been decently well maintained and isn't full of rust underneath.

costal_cat

Thanks everyone! I was able to get in at the local Toyota service center for a pre owned vehicle quality inspection service @$120. They gave it a thumbs up.
Found the following

Front brakes and rotors : New
Back brakes and rotors: Pads new , rotors turned suggesting new ones
Axle seals leaking suggest replacing, doing 4 wheel service and then alignment
Tires all good slight cupping on the front
Suggest power steering flush and fluid change

Everything else passed,from the paper it looked like they checked about 75 different items and test drove it. Took about an hour and half so it seems like they really went through it ...
They quoted about $800 for the work.

One thing though they brought up the Toyota service records and there were some dealer service records but not a lot. The tech said no way to tell if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced but felt that given the miles and the good condition it was probably done but no way he could say 100% it was.. They did say doing both of those would be about $800 - 1000, does that sound right?

Is this something I should look at just getting done to be sure or is it an issue that would have surfaced by now being at 160,000? If I need to throw $1,800 at it right away for the maintenance and piece of mind I don't mind but I will use it to negotiate the price..

Thanks again for the links and insight.....

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
You can save a lot of money if you do the water pump, timing belt your self! Parts are about 500 going all eom.If you get all belts thermostat and cam bearings!Fluids are very easy to do. Food for thought and good luck!

costal_cat

You can save a lot of money if you do the water pump, timing belt your self! Parts are about 500 going all eom.If you get all belts thermostat and cam bearings!Fluids are very easy to do. Food for thought and good luck!

Thanks! I'm fairly handy and have access to a shop, let the VW jokes begin LOL...

Looks like what I may have worked out was they are going to have the PM work done and the timing belt and pump. I will deal with the stereo and back brake rotors... he wanted 13,500 I said 12,500 he wanted to check with his Toyota guy on the PM work and is going to call me back. Betting we end up at $13,000 even. I'll drop the truck off Sunday to him and then pick it up Thursday on my way back in from Memphis...

Fingers crossed but it looks like I may have my first Land Cruiser...

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Thanks! I'm fairly handy and have access to a shop, let the VW jokes begin LOL...

Looks like what I may have worked out was they are going to have the PM work done and the timing belt and pump. I will deal with the stereo and back brake rotors... he wanted 13,500 I said 12,500 he wanted to check with his Toyota guy on the PM work and is going to call me back. Betting we end up at $13,000 even. I'll drop the truck off Sunday to him and then pick it up Thursday on my way back in from Memphis...

Fingers crossed but it looks like I may have my first Land Cruiser...

Congratulations you will love it!

Rotors and brakes from Powerstop crosssed and drilled with high tempeture pads is 169.00 delivered and they will be good for at least 36K miles or more I am at 40k and just replaced my pads no rotor turning!

NickFL

I bought my '03 a week ago with 60k miles for $15,000. I think you have yourself a good vehicle as I realize that the one I bought is a rare gem with those miles. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior