91 LC: Are they really this slow?

grox

Observer
I've been planning on buying a FJ80 for a year long trip in Mexico. I'll be driving it daily here in Colorado for 10 months before we leave. I finally found and test drove a 91 yesterday. I was a little shocked at how slow it was. Part of the fun of living here is shooting up to the mountains for the weekend. I'm concerned that Land Cruisers might be a little slower than what I'm used to.

Appreciate any comments.

Last edited:

grox

Observer
Just fast enough to keep up with traffic, up hill, which is questionable after my test drive.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
The older ones made for slogging it off road 24/7 in the worst places on earth, not cruising the passes of the Rockies at 70.

bentonrover

Observer
I believe my 90 fj62 has the same motor. When I first got it I said the same thing about it. Did a complete tune up, new fluids, new fuel filter and pump. Still slow. I just leave alittle early to get where I need to be. Cheers and good luck

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Its a big heavy well built 4x4 designed for a hard life, its not a wrx subaru

even a modern truck only just gets up the I70from Denver at 75mph, thats one huge hill !

altitude too kills power, we normally rent a 4 door truck from Den for the drive up to our vacation home near GJ
usually hemi - ecoboost.

yep they'll haul that hill faster, but their bhp numbers don't compare either, the 80 is generation behind on technology and power.

The LC80 is a very robust platform, seen in just about all the countries on route to ushia, with parts availability just about everywhere as they share a lot of parts with the FJ series 45.

I thought the idea was to see things on route ? not drive at 80 and be just checking the horizon.

In lationo landia, the pot holes, donkey's, missing crash barriers, drunk people on mopeds and 2 ft high sleeping policemen mean that progress is generally way slower than the 6 lane superhighways in the US

Buy a 4X4 Armada and zoom like you want, lol. I think the Armada may just be the fastest of the Big 8 trucks.

Kidding aside, I have read far and wide that those trucks are meant for cruising and hence cannot really be considered fast, like you are wondering. Besides, since you will be on a year old trip, I doubt going fast will be what you are looking for. You don't want to zoom past your camping area before you realize it and have to turn around. Going on a trip like you are planning requires just cruising and taking your time. And since you may be doing some offroading, then I guess you shouldn't be worried about trying to go fast in a well capable drive built with offroading in mind, not speeding.

doug720

Expedition Leader
In a LandCrusher, you don't have to slow down to enjoy the ride, they do it for you!

As all have alluded to, high speed highway hill climbs are not most LC's strong point. If you want to climb hills at 70, wrong vehicle. If you want a strong, reliable vehicle that can go more places than most owners are comfortable of going, yet still be comfortable -this may be your vehicle...If not, lots of other choices!

Slow is not bad, just different, until you adjust to it.

grox

Observer
Awesome. Thanks guys. I've been lusting over Land Cruisers for sometime now. I bought and fixed up a perfectly great 94 Pathfinder but because I couldn't cure the Toyota envy, I sold it. Plus, it was super slow too.

Sounds like the LC will be perfect for the trip down to and around Mexico, but maybe not so perfect as a daily Colorado driver in meantime. I guess I'm wondering if a 4Runner wouldn't be a better all around choice?

BTW - my vehicle budget is about $3000 plus $1000 or so to put into it. Not much I know.

Here's a picture and details of the LC I'm interested in. 204,000 miles, Top end rebuild, new tires, everything works including the A/C, locker, paint badly faded and peeled, NO RUST, needs both cats, drives pretty darn well. $2500

01212_duymNmdEy4L_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
If you can swing for a 1FZ motor (93+), it will be a lot nicer to drive power wise. The 3FE is a strong tractor motor. It is slow, but I would still do that over a 3.0l V6 4Runner (which is what your price range can get you). The 3.0l is slow and unreliable.

Have you priced cats on these things? If not you might want to because there goes your grand to put into it.
Awesome. Thanks guys. I've been lusting over Land Cruisers for sometime now. I bought and fixed up a perfectly great 94 Pathfinder but because I couldn't cure the Toyota envy, I sold it. Plus, it was super slow too.

Sounds like the LC will be perfect for the trip down to and around Mexico, but maybe not so perfect as a daily Colorado driver in meantime. I guess I'm wondering if a 4Runner wouldn't be a better all around choice?

BTW - my vehicle budget is about $3000 plus $1000 or so to put into it. Not much I know.

Here's a picture and details of the LC I'm interested in. 204,000 miles, Top end rebuild, new tires, everything works including the A/C, locker, paint badly faded and peeled, NO RUST, needs both cats, drives pretty darn well. $2500

View attachment 252052

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If you can swing for a 1FZ motor (93+), it will be a lot nicer to drive power wise. The 3FE is a strong tractor motor. It is slow, but I would still do that over a 3.0l V6 4Runner (which is what your price range can get you). The 3.0l is slow and unreliable.

funny you say the 3.0 is unreliable. Most of the time I see them on craigslist, they are far north of 200,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online