License Plate/3rd Brake Light Relocation and Trasharoos

daryn1979

Observer
What is everyone else doing when using a Trasharoo after relocating your license plate/3rd brake light? I've found my Trasharoo WAY more useful than I thought I would, but I've been wanting to relocate my license plate and 3rd brake light to my spare tire. Unfortunately, that means that they would both be covered up by the Trasharoo, which I can only assume is a big no-no! I've considered sewing a clear plastic pocket onto the Trasharoo to slide the license plate into, but then I'd lose the plate light and 3rd brake light.

I'm just looking for ideas- I can't be the only one who's thought about this...

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I've been wondering this too. I've seen a couple of people that have put their license plates on the rack above their spare tire, but not everyone has that.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I'm relocating my plate, and thought the same thing, although I don't yet own a trasharoo.

Think you just need an extended wiring disconnect for 2 mounting options? Mounting options TBD? haha

Maybe just a temporary insanity option held on with zip ties for the trasharoo.

4X4NDAD

License plate and a trailer plateframe with light can go above spare attached to original 3rd brake light mount, then either just don't run a 3rd brake light or mount one to where it glows out from behind spare tire, but this set up does block your center rear view. If you run a Gobi rack you could move the plate to the ladder, great way to get one.. Honey I need to buy a roof rack, I need a place to mount my license plate.. Other wise just probably just better to leave it in factory location.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Don't flame me, but when I changed to an AEV carrier and 35's, i just dropped the 3rd brake light altogether. Hasn't been an issue in the last year.
AFA the license plate, i kept the factory location - not sure why people dislike it so much.

lysol

Explorer
I actually refuse to relocate the original license plate holder just so I can use my Trasharoo... lol.

ventura911

Adventurer
As far as pics go, I don't have anything closer at the moment, but I had a bar with two C-shaped ends attached to the license plate holder. The bar pins to the arms of the bike rack when I'm using the Trasharoo, and when I'm not, the plate goes back to its spot in the center of the wheel. If anyone would like close-ups, let me know.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 206

dstock

Explorer
I actually refuse to relocate the original license plate holder just so I can use my Trasharoo... lol.

LOL...I'm with you. I'm not sure I understand the need in the first place, but I also understand we all do things differently.

toymaster

Explorer
Don't flame me, but when I changed to an AEV carrier and 35's, i just dropped the 3rd brake light altogether. Hasn't been an issue in the last year.
AFA the license plate, i kept the factory location - not sure why people dislike it so much.

I looked to see if the 3rd brake light is required and found nothing on the federal level. I took mine off first thing and did not run one till about a year ago. When I relocated my tag I used an 'off road only' brand tag/brake LED light combo with a rockhard relocation bracket. Obviously need the tag light. The 6" light bar is just mounted to the top of that bracket.

LOL...I'm with you. I'm not sure I understand the need in the first place, but I also understand we all do things differently.

The factory tag bracket is a rock catcher. Any time off road and understanding will happen in a heartbeat. I'm not what you would call a rock crawler but one slide down a ledge and the plastic tag bracket was history.

This falls into the "you can't use all the aftermarket goodies out there at the same time" category. The trasharoo is awesome I use it while off road and then move it for the trip home.

IMG_20141019_174451-M.jpg

aristobrat

Observer
The factory tag bracket is a rock catcher.
^^^, and tree catcher too. Always amazed me at how well the rear fender will "forgive" a close encounter, but the stock license plate holder ... not so much.

After the second time I knocked it loose from the stock location, I relocated it (and got the AEV rear corner guards).

dstock

Explorer
The factory tag bracket is a rock catcher. Any time off road and understanding will happen in a heartbeat. I'm not what you would call a rock crawler but one slide down a ledge and the plastic tag bracket was history.

Thanks, I spend plenty of time off road, hasn't been an issue, but I'll let you know if my "understanding" changes! :sombrero:

dstock

Explorer
^^^, and tree catcher too. Always amazed me at how well the rear fender will "forgive" a close encounter, but the stock license plate holder ... not so much.

After the second time I knocked it loose from the stock location, I relocated it (and got the AEV rear corner guards).

Now the tree thing, I can understand! They attack from all sides!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne