New owner of a 98 Montero

TheMole

Adventurer
Did you use the green coolant or did you buy the proper red Asian vehicle coolant that it came with from the factory? And the Asian red is much different than Dex-cool red coolant. Earlier this spring I grabbed the radiator out of a 99 at the junkyard to have for a spare, the all copper OEM models cool better than any aluminum aftermarket model. The plan is to have a local shop clean and pressure test the spare and then use it for mocking up my e-fan setup and swap it in.

You know what it didn't even cross my mind. The old coolant was green so I just got some Peak ethylene glycol green coolant without thinking. What are the benefits of the red? Cools and lube better? Now I feel like flushing it out and putting red in there haha.

I have an ultragauge which displays the engine temp and it seems to run a few degrees hotter than before the radiator replacement. I forgot to burp it with the setting on heat so maybe I'll try it again and drive for a few days to see if it stabilizes. Nice pickup on the radiator and sounds like it'll be a nice setup. If it doesn't work out I hear brass/copper can fetch a bit of cash nowadays lol.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You know what it didn't even cross my mind. The old coolant was green so I just got some Peak ethylene glycol green coolant without thinking. What are the benefits of the red? Cools and lube better? Now I feel like flushing it out and putting red in there haha.

I have an ultragauge which displays the engine temp and it seems to run a few degrees hotter than before the radiator replacement. I forgot to burp it with the setting on heat so maybe I'll try it again and drive for a few days to see if it stabilizes. Nice pickup on the radiator and sounds like it'll be a nice setup. If it doesn't work out I hear brass/copper can fetch a bit of cash nowadays lol.

If it already was switched to green then stick with green, it takes awhile to flush out all of it and go back to red. You can read about the red here http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/105

TheMole

Adventurer
Going on a small road trip to the Joshua Tree area soon so had the mechanic replace the transmission pan gasket/filter and crank bolt/washer (updated version) today. It will be the furthest trip since purchasing the Montero so wanted the peace of mind.

TheMole

Adventurer
I had the door unlock and locking by itself problem so fixed my driver's side door lock actuator today as discussed in this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/131121-Driverside-door-lock-acuator-removal-question

Couldn't believe how easy it was as it took about 30 minutes thanks to the diy. I ended up stuffing some JB Weld Plastic Weld putty into the problem area and using a nut threaded onto a bolt as the new "stopper". Even though the putty takes about 24 hours to fully harden, the locks work great so far.

jlocster

Explorer
Mole, you've done quite a bit of work, congrats...I bet your trucks purrs! It'd be great if you could list brand and part numbers for your radiator, shocks, transmission gasket/filter and sway bar bushings so that they can be added to the parts list sticky. Thanks in advance!

TheMole

Adventurer
Mole, you've done quite a bit of work, congrats...I bet your trucks purrs! It'd be great if you could list brand and part numbers for your radiator, shocks, transmission gasket/filter and sway bar bushings so that they can be added to the parts list sticky. Thanks in advance!

Hah yea definitely purrs better than when I first picked it up. Just gotta tackle the front suspension pieces now (balljoints/arms) as my steering sometimes jerks to the left or right on bumpy roads. Maybe I'll just replace the inner/outer tie rods (on hand) and get an alignment first to see if it solves the issue. I think most of parts that I used are already covered in the parts sticky, but I'll definitely go over it to make sure. Thanks for the suggestion!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Good to hear she's running well. As for the tie rod ends, do yourself a favor if you haven't already and use OEM parts. Unfortunately, non-oem tie rods don't seem to last as long. :(

TheMole

Adventurer
Good to hear she's running well. As for the tie rod ends, do yourself a favor if you haven't already and use OEM parts. Unfortunately, non-oem tie rods don't seem to last as long. :(

I take it you've had first-hand experience? How long did they last you? Terrain? I got the MOOG inner and outer tie rods from rockauto that came out to a tad over $100. It looks an OEM set will cost almost $200 :Wow1:.

TheMole

Adventurer
Just a quick update as I replaced the idler arm yesterday with MOOG K7951 idler arm. My steering wheel would previously jerk to the left or right and follow the grooves when going over uneven roads, but feels much better now. Just gotta replace the pitman arm and inner/outer tie rods to finish up the front end. Although, not in any rush since the idler arm pretty much eliminated the steering wheel jerk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior