Operation OverlanderZ - Lysol's 2014 JKUR Build

lysol

Explorer
I've been wanting to start a build journal for a while now, but I figured I would wait until I got my plans figured out. I originally wanted a JKUR in "Orange Crush", but they didn't offer the color new and all the used one's I found were almost the same price as a new Jeep. So... I ordered one (July 2013) in "Anvil" which I really like. I've always had dull/neutral colors (i.e. silver, black, etc...) and the Wrangler offers some really cool color options. I've heard that the "Anvil" color was created when some engineers saw a "Brute" trashcan (you know? the greenish/greyish/blueish ones?) in their shop and decided to make it into a color. My wife has the Nav in her Jeep WK2 and we hate it, so I ordered mine with everything but the Nav. My plan was to put in an aftermarket unit one day, but I've been happy without it.

I have always wanted to build an overlanding vehicle. People look at me crazy when I try to explain what "Overlanding" is and why I find enjoyment in it. I mean... what's better than something that combines roadtrips, camping, offroading, and the great outdoors??? Oh well. My wife is on board though and that's all that matters. She loves the outdoors and thankfully she supports my hobby. lol.

I used to drive a Toyota Tacoma ('98 SR5 Ext. Cab) and I traded it in on a car. That was a big mistake because I turned myself into a car person for years... but now I'm back to the 4x4 realm. lol.

I haven't done too much yet, but I have a lot of DIY projects coming up. My first major project is upgrading the electrical system to include switch setups, dual batteries under the hood + a third in the rear.... Tri-Battery setup!!! My progress is usually fairly slow as I have a lot of projects going on at once (... and money.. can't order too much stuff at once or I'll piss off the wife... lol...) so please bear with me.

This is from the day I brought it home (Sep2013):

photo4_zps43ebbb95.jpg

Last edited:

lysol

Explorer
My first "overlanding" modification was simply a fridge. I thought it was the coolest techy gadget for years and wanted it badly so I bought an ARB 50. I first tried running it on the cigarette lighter sockets on both of our Jeeps and kept running into voltage issues at the fridge. Long story short, the fridge has a builtin battery protection to keep it from draining the battery below vehicle starting capabilities (it does this by reading the voltage at the fridge to determine if the voltage is too low). Due to the thin OEM wiring for the cigarette lighter sockets, the voltage drop was enough to trick the fridge into thinking the battery was dead. This only works if the fridge can see the "True" voltage from the battery which requires running thicker cables to counteract the voltage drop.

The fix??? Install a dedicated 10AWG wiring harness. I took red & black 10AWG cables, sleeved them, installed fuse on the battery side, soldered/heatshrinked terminal connectors on the battery side, and installed a powerpole connector on the fridge side. Then I just cut the cigarette lighter cord from the fridge and installed a powerpole connector in place of the cigarette lighter adapter. This is run from the OEM battery under the hood, down the driver's side floor, and to the fridge in the back. Bing Bang Boom. No more power issues.

It's worked perfectly. It's easy to use when camping, but the weird part was/is trying to use it in everyday life. I mean, you could technically use this thing to go grocery shopping, put your cold stuff in the fridge, and then go watch a movie... lol. It's the best companion on road trips both short and long. We can buy meat a lot cheaper up at my wife's parents than here in DC so we always use it on those trips to bring back frozen meat and whatnot.

And the best part???? No More Ice!!!!

Eventually, I'll put my 3rd battery in the rear and just wire the fridge directly to that.

IMG_3270_zps7581ee0f.jpg

Last edited:

lysol

Explorer
My first "installed" modification is a battery mount for the rear. This battery will be the "house/camping" battery and mostly used just for the fridge. I queried Springtail Solutions last summer about modifying his accessory mount to have a tray. Now they won't claim this tray is designed for a battery, but the tray will fit up to a 34M battery which measures 6.8" x 10.9". That's 100Ah (Amp hours) of greatness... lol.

I haven't made any progress on the 3rd battery as it's low on my list now. It will come, but not for a while. I'm happy to have just secured the mount as that was a major headache for me trying to figure out how to safely mount a battery in the rear. I have the charger/solar/wiring/meter all planned out for it, but those components alone will cost me about $1k so I'm pushing it off until after I complete the under-hood dual battery setup.

Here is my original Install Thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121609-Springtail-JKU-Side-Rack-2nd-Gen!!!

This is after I assembled it:

IMG_3231_zps53462194.jpg

Installed:

IMG_3252_zpsc3faac3b.jpg

IMG_3255_zpse7053b5e.jpg

IMG_3261_zps05a91dca.jpg

Mounted over striker plate:

IMG_3264_zps6317f8b8.jpg

Last edited:

lysol

Explorer
There was an issue with the product I received however. The top plate has a lip that was putting pressure on the side of the Jeep & Hardtop edge. It caused me to put a lot of pressure to get that bolt in.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about (it's hard to see, but the lip on the left side that curves downward pushes on the metal & hardtop):

IMG_3257_zpsdfa5cc9b.jpg

My fix was to use an angle grinder with a cutting blade and remove some of the lip. After, I used a hand metal file and removed a little more and cleaned up the cut. I then painted it using black Rustoleum.

Here's a quick phone shot of the "new" gap I created. The first piece of metal I grinded off is sitting on top (I colored it with a silver oil sharpee for cutting reference). I also filed more off by hand after I removed that piece.

20140420_215300_zpsgpl15qk1.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Awesome start! :beer:

Anvil IS the color!
I'm envious of your fridge. That fridge is great. Also like your side racks.
I did the same as you with the radio. Had an '04 G.C. Overland with Nav. I'll never make that mistake again. There is a radio/nav system I've been keeping an eye on, from Insane Audio. It uses Android for an operating platform, so can do trail maps with overlays, etc. I'm waiting for them to integrate satellite radio, and for the price to come within reason.
Looking forward to following along with your build. There are some really cool JKU builds on here, to get inspiration from. Looks like you are going to have a killer setup.

lysol

Explorer
Awesome start! :beer:

Anvil IS the color!
I'm envious of your fridge. That fridge is great. Also like your side racks.
I did the same as you with the radio. Had an '04 G.C. Overland with Nav. I'll never make that mistake again. There is a radio/nav system I've been keeping an eye on, from Insane Audio. It uses Android for an operating platform, so can do trail maps with overlays, etc. I'm waiting for them to integrate satellite radio, and for the price to come within reason.
Looking forward to following along with your build. There are some really cool JKU builds on here, to get inspiration from. Looks like you are going to have a killer setup.

Thanks!! I'll have to check out that nav unit. I'll be installing the Cooltech LLC Ultramount all-in-one cb kit next week. I see you have the same setup with the addition of your homemade plate for another radio. How do you like it?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Very happy with it. I bought an extra 2' antenna for running trails, and get about 2+ miles in the noisy city environment. With the included 4' Firestick Firefly it will reach out somewhere around 6 miles.
The Versamount2 is a really nice piece. Makes for a real clean and easy install.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
is that the Mpac side tray? I was looking at those, and seems like they've been around for a while. I'm surprised yours didn't fit perfect. Maybe the lower edge width of the jeep tops has varied? easy enough fix.

lysol

Explorer
Very happy with it. I bought an extra 2' antenna for running trails, and get about 2+ miles in the noisy city environment. With the included 4' Firestick Firefly it will reach out somewhere around 6 miles.
The Versamount2 is a really nice piece. Makes for a real clean and easy install.

You don't run the 4' in the trails? I read the Firestick Firefly that Cooltech includes in their kits flexes pretty good.

lysol

Explorer
is that the Mpac side tray? I was looking at those, and seems like they've been around for a while. I'm surprised yours didn't fit perfect. Maybe the lower edge width of the jeep tops has varied? easy enough fix.

Yea, it's their driver's side tray. I got one of the first renditions. Like I said, I have tons of e-mails back and forth with them persuading them to modify it to accept a battery so they finally modified with the tray (which just so happens to accept up to a group 34M battery. I believe the newer versions don't have the issue with it touching the side anymore. It's a solid piece though. Springtail has been making a lot of stuff for the Toyota community for a while now. I'm actually planning on getting their tailgate table.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You don't run the 4' in the trails? I read the Firestick Firefly that Cooltech includes in their kits flexes pretty good.

I have not made time to get this thing off road yet, but did some good testing in the "electrically noisy city environment". So I'm pretty confident the short antenna will keep me in contact with trail buddies.

The Firefly flexes awesome. A lot like a medium "lake" style fishing pole. I flexed it to almost a full 180* by hand easily. If I used the mount that works off the license plate holder, I'd use the 4'. I'm using the style that mounts to the tire carrier, so the 2' antenna sticks up just enough to get good reception. When the CB is connected, both antennas are in the Jeep, so it's a real easy swap .

The one thing I've *read* negative about all the Firesticks is that it's easy to loose the cap. I'm thinking about running a small epoxy lip around the top of the antenna, and using a zip-tie to keep the cap secured.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Yea, it's their driver's side tray. I got one of the first renditions. Like I said, I have tons of e-mails back and forth with them persuading them to modify it to accept a battery so they finally modified with the tray (which just so happens to accept up to a group 34M battery. I believe the newer versions don't have the issue with it touching the side anymore. It's a solid piece though. Springtail has been making a lot of stuff for the Toyota community for a while now. I'm actually planning on getting their tailgate table.

Yeah, I think out of all the various trays, theirs looks like one of the best. I wish they still made that little mount that goes around the shifter. The one they still have is for previous generation JK interior.

lysol

Explorer
I have not made time to get this thing off road yet, but did some good testing in the "electrically noisy city environment". So I'm pretty confident the short antenna will keep me in contact with trail buddies.

The Firefly flexes awesome. A lot like a medium "lake" style fishing pole. I flexed it to almost a full 180* by hand easily. If I used the mount that works off the license plate holder, I'd use the 4'. I'm using the style that mounts to the tire carrier, so the 2' antenna sticks up just enough to get good reception. When the CB is connected, both antennas are in the Jeep, so it's a real easy swap .

The one thing I've *read* negative about all the Firesticks is that it's easy to loose the cap. I'm thinking about running a small epoxy lip around the top of the antenna, and using a zip-tie to keep the cap secured.

Ahhh... I assumed you had the UltraMount (license plate mount). Makes sense. Thanks for the heads up with the cap. I might put some silicon in there after it's tuned.

lysol

Explorer
Yeah, I think out of all the various trays, theirs looks like one of the best. I wish they still made that little mount that goes around the shifter. The one they still have is for previous generation JK interior.

You and me both. I could really use mounting some small bags there or even my flashlight/multi-tool.

lysol

Explorer
My Cobra CB Radio (75 WX ST) came in today. Going to start on the antenna install now.

Lysol's Relay Box

On a side note, this winter I'm going to build my own switch brain system. The following is from my "Jeep Wrangler Modification" Google Doc that I'm always updating when I get new ideas.

**All switches RED Text(lower) always on | GREEN logo(upper) on when switch is turned On

BRAIN:
12V Hot (High Amp)
Ground
Accessory Fuse box

Ignition Hot
Hi-Beam Hot
Momentary Override Hot
---Power bottom lights to all switches (Will need diode to keep power from flowing into the dash lighting (w/dimmer) system. The momentary switch will supply full brightness to the switches when activated. Don't know a way around this yet)
---Power all switches
---Also, at the moment, the (3) front facing lights (bumper, hood, and roof) will not work in the situation where the key is out (ignition is off) + momentary activated. This is because the (3) front facing lights will require the high beam switch to be on in order to arm them. I could create a switch that will work as Auto/Manual to give me manual control over them. Not sure yet how I want to tackle this. The reason for the high-beam idea is so that I can select which front lights I want to arm with their switches and then just turn on the Jeep high beams to turn them on with just one switch on the steering column.... I guess I could have the momentary relay supply power to those (3) light relays between the respected relay and the Hi-Beam hot wire with a diode in the Hi-Beam hot wire to keep power from flowing back into it...... That might work... I need to think about this one a little.

(BEAM) = Flood/Euro/Spot | The light spread pattern. I want everything above the factory headlights that points forward to be spot so that there's less light splash on the hood.
[COLOR] = Logo switched color (the color the logo lights up when the switch is ON)

sPod Variant Panel Config:
1.) bumper HID lights (FLOOD) [AMBER] (arm for hi beam to turn on) (can use clear cover because it's below the headlights) R
2.) hood led light bar (SPOT) [AMBER] (arm for hi beam to turn on) (light must be covered with opaque (black) cover when on road) R
3.) roof led light bar (SPOT) [AMBER] (arm for hi beam to turn on)(light must be covered with opaque (black) cover when on road) R
4.) roof led bar left (FLOOD) [GREEN] R
5.) roof led bar right (FLOOD) [GREEN] R
6.) roof led bar rear (FLOOD) [GREEN] R

Daystar Panel Config:
1.) Master Ign Override [AMBER] (momentary) Will activate 30-min timed relay w/ cancellation option (delay off) (ARMS ALL SWITCHES) SR
2.) CB radio [GREEN] R
3.) Ham radio [GREEN] R
4.) Radar Detector [GREEN] (Could be HF HAM later) R
5.) Battery Connect [I think it's Amber lit] (under hood batteries)(BLUE SEA SWITCH) (3-way switch - Off, On, Auto)

Drivers Side Roll Cage A-Pillar config (Switches are HORIZONTAL):
1.) Metal Toggle switch [no light] (Arms Apocolypse switch)
2.) Apocolypse Light switch [BLUE] (Activates/Turns on all Aux lights) R | **This one is purely for fun... lol...
3.) Heated Wipers/Wiper Fluid [GREEN] BR
4.) ARB Compressor [GREEN] BR
5.) Winch Power [GREEN] SR
6.) Winch IN/OUT [GREEN/GREEN] *No red text on this switch as it only turns on when the above switch is armed.

R = Relay (30 Amp) | SR = Special Relay (Timed) | BR = Big Relay (80 Amp)

Optional/Possible Switches:
Rock Lights

Random Notes:
ARB twin compressor pulls 56 Amps (requires Big Relay)
Windshield Fluid heater pulls 50 Amps (requires Big Relay) for 30 seconds (for initial heating) and then 2 amps after to maintain. I don't see in the documentation that it spikes back up to 50 Amps when it is drained so it must only pull 50 Amps in the begining only.
Apocolypse light switch/relay simply triggers all the aux light relays so no big-relay required here
Master Ign override switch/relay will simply "Arm" all the switches (not relays) by providing power to them which if in turn are "On", they will power their respected relays.

Pretty much, I will have (3) switch locations; above the windshield (6-switches), in front of the shifter (5-switches), and on the roll cage on the driver's side A-pillar (6-switches) (when I get it installed lol). Each position serves a different function. I plan on making my own sPod so I hope I can source just the switch panel only. I don't want/need the "Source" brain they offer. This is still a thought in progress at the moment though. I might make small changes to the switch light colors (OTRATTW) that show when the switch is on. I might make the (3) light switches that arm with the high beam light up Amber instead of Green for example. I don't want to use Blue as it is really bright in the cab at night (might use it for the "Apocolypse" switch though).

Anyway, thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles