tiger2.0 - an experiment

tiagra

Hi guys,

i started with a new build based an past expriences in terms of vehicle and travel, so after 1.5 years of research and parts accumulation, here we go: tiger2.0 will (hopefully) be the HeavyDuty version of our current tigerbus, which has traveled with us a few ten thousand kilometers and will continue to do so. For more advanced stuff with deeper mud, snow and water aswell as extremer temperatures we're in the process of mating a few of our favourite vehicles into one.

Quick facts for now:

* Volvo C304/TGB13 6x6 chassis, custom 5.99 ratio portal axles.
* VW T3 syncro double cab
* custom sandwhich camper box or flatbed (interchangeable) in the rear
* Toyota 12H-T engne with H55F gearbox (4ltr direct injection turbo diesel with inline pump, 5sp gearbox 1:2 reduction)
* 37x12.5R17 tires on custom 9x17 steel wheels
* complete disc brake conversion
* main goal: stay within 3.5tons limits...

That's the main outline of this experiment, will try to keep the English speaking world updated via this thread, German version via IG16-Forums here. A nice mixture can be found on facebook ;) Full details will _eventually_ end up on our website...

Right now we're looking at this:

Making space for what's to come... long live the Recipro saw!
ZZ14BB40D4.jpg

A few beams to strengthen while cutting it up...
ZZ4D36AD63.jpg

The hydraulic lift from China... what would we do without it?!
ZZ442621EE.jpg

Wheel needs to be removed to clear the lift...
ZZ13B99251.jpg

A lot f work left, but good start. Cabin will end up some 15cm closer to the frame, final vehicle height estimated to be ~2.40m.
ZZ6048028B.jpg

So long,

.martin

P.S.: Funny fact: The double can is a re-import from SWEDEN and already has a Volvo steering wheel fitted by the previos owner. Yay.

TLC Norway

I'm definitely interested in your build!
More specs on the portals, isn't the final gear ratio going to be very high with 5.99 diffs? I mean, high rpms while on the highway?
12ht is a cool choice ;-)

Sent via mobile magic.

tiagra

I'm definitely interested in your build!
More specs on the portals, isn't the final gear ratio going to be very high with 5.99 diffs? I mean, high rpms while on the highway?
12ht is a cool choice ;-)

5.99 is th combined ratio of diff AND portal... so it's not going to be thaaaat bad. Our last trip around asia revealed, that 85kph is just about as fast as you can go in most countries except German highways, so that'S the speed the whole drivetrain is planned for. On 37" tires this thing will run 85kph at 2500RPM. That should be pretty much perfect... ;)

tiagra

ALso some progress yesterday... finally lowerd the cabin by another 15cm onto the frame, should be about final position now. Some beams and brackets still need to be sorted out, but we're getting there. Even with 20cm more inward wheel travel space in the wheel arches should be comfortably big, so there is not as much modification nessecary as I had anticipated earlier. *yay* Today the Mercedes G-wagon steering rack was placed and it seems, as if everthing could line up pretty much perfect.

ZZ2B13B256.jpg

ZZ5D03462C.jpg

ZZ5AF6409E.jpg

At home I printed the first brake caliper mounting bracket for my disc brake conversion on the Volvo portals... first test fit already revealed a major design flaw, so this definately was just the first iteration of a few to come. But that's what rapid prototyping is for, right?! ;)

ZZ39216EFF.jpg

ZZ13D721AF.jpg

ZZ0DEC9D61.jpg

ZZ6E5262AE.jpg

Cheers,

.martin

krl81

Adventurer
Oh, I am so subscribeing this thread as you inspired me to start planning a trip to mongolia. :) And this build looks like it's going to be really interesting! :D

tiagra

Oh, I am so subscribeing this thread as you inspired me to start planning a trip to mongolia. :) And this build looks like it's going to be really interesting! :D

Yep, do it - Mongolia is great! You will need at least 2 months to explore it, though ;) I will go back again aswell....

tiagra

Well... if the visa is your problem, then don't worry: The initiall issued 1 months visa can be extended by another 4 weeks at the immigrations office close to Ulaan Bataar airport for $50, no further questions asked ;)

@Joaquin: I might have, but already planning ahead to avoid the biggest hassles. We'll see, might end up in a major/expensive fight, but so far I'm still confident that I can be done. One way or the other ;)

krl81

Adventurer
Well as a Swede I don't even need a visa for the first 30 days. :) My problem is time. I don't have more time to spend. Worst case scenario I go back later like you. :D
But thank you very much for the info! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94