iPad Air 2 announced

haven

Expedition Leader
The new iPad Air 2 is improved in several areas, compared to last year's original iPad Air model. Pricing remains the same. Highlights include:

new processor
The A8X processor is up to 40% faster (Apple's figure), and more power efficient than the A7 in last year's iPad Air. The A8X has 2.5 times the graphics performance than the A7. The new processor is more efficient at using battery power, which allowed Apple to reduce the size of the battery by 15% while maintaining the same 10 hour runtime.

more RAM standard
The Air 2 now has 2 GB of RAM, up from 1 GB in all previous iPads.

more optional storage
The original Air offered the option of 32 GB if you needed to increase storage memory. The new Air 2 offers options of 64 GB and 128 GB. Memory upgrade to 64 GB costs the same as last year's 32 GB option.

Some argue that the standard 16 GB of storage memory is too low, making the upgrade to 64 GB almost mandatory. I have an older 16 GB iPad, and I do have to keep a close eye on my free memory. It's simple to offload photos or delete apps when I need more room.

improved camera
The rear-facing camera now has the same 8 megapixel sensor as the iPhone. Last year's Air had a 5 megapixel sensor. The new sensor, paired with the A8X processor, enables burst mode, 43 megabyte panoramas, slow motion video, time lapse video, and other modes that first appeared in the iPhone 6. The front-facing camera, used for Facetime video calls, has improved performance in low light situations.

new Touch ID sensor
Last year's iPad employed a traditional switch for the Home button. The new model uses Apple's fingerprint sensor to log you in. This allows the new iPad to participate in Apple Pay, Apple's more secure method of making credit and debit card payments. While the iPad can't be used like the new iPhone to pay at point of sale terminals (no NFC chip in the iPad), Apple Pay will make online purchasing more secure.

Apple SIM
Most iPads are purchased with WiFi data service only, but Apple does offer iPads that include a cellular modem. Previous iPad models employed a SIM card (subscriber identification module) provided by the cell phone company, and were locked to that provider's network. The phone companies were often reluctant to help you unlock your iPad so you could use it with another network while traveling. Once you arrived at your destination, you had to purchase a new SIM and contract.

The iPad Air 2 takes a different approach: the Apple SIM. This programmable ID allows you to choose from several carriers' short term data plans while traveling. For example, you may find that T-Mobile offers the best plan for you in San Francisco, while AT&T offers better coverage in rural Virginia.

At launch, the carriers who are participating in the Apple SIM plan are few: ATT, Sprint and T-Mobile in USA, and EE in the UK. Hopefully, other international carriers will joint the program. Verizon has declined to participate. So if you want an iPad Air 2 that works with Verizon's network, you have to buy from Verizon directly.

It will be very interesting to see how the cellular service providers respond. The Apple SIM could revolutionize the way cell phones are purchased and used. Apple might want to create its own cellular data network by becoming a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), buying data service at wholesale prices from the carriers, and reselling to owners of iPads and iPhones. This service could be a blessing to international travelers. (emphasis on “could be”)

The iPad Air 2 supports 20 different LTE data bands, more than other tablets by far. So if you're traveling, and LTE service is offered in your area, you should be able to connect at higher speed.

thinner and lighter
The height and width of the Air 2 is the same, but the thickness is only 6.1 mm. Weight has been reduced by 30 grams or so, to 435 g / just less than one lb.

less reflective screen
Apple has changed the way it manufactures the iPad screen. One benefit is lower reflectivity, making the screen easier to use in bright light environments (e.g., outdoors).

One thing that has not changed is the size and resolution of the screen. It remains the same 9.7 inches, 2048x1536 pixels, 264 pixels per inch.

same pricing
The Ipad Air 2 starts at $499 for a 16 GB WiFi-only model. Add $100 to move up to the model with 64 GB of storage. Add $129 to add a cellular data modem. These prices are the same as last year.

Edit: I forgot to add that the standard iPad still does not include GPS. If you want navigation features, you have to purchase the iPad with WiFi plus cellular modem, a $129 option.

haven

Expedition Leader
These days, the tablet market is very wide. Prices range from $100 (or even less) for 7 inch tablets running Windows 8.1 or Android, up through $500 for the iPad line. Here are a couple of top-of-the-line tablets that compete with the iPad.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (July 2014)
WiFi only $399
WiFi + LTE $529
8.4 inch, 2560x1600 super AMOLED screen, 359 ppi
Samsung Exynos 5 processor (1.9 GHz quad core plus 1.3 GHz quad core)
3 GB RAM, 16 or 32 GB storage
microSD slot to expand storage
fingerprint sensor
2.1 MP front, 8 MP rear camera
4900 mAh battery
212.8 x 125.6 x 6.6 mm, 298 g
Android 4.4 with Samsung Magazine UX interface, multiuser mode

Compared to iPad: smaller, lighter, higher res screen, stylus. MicroSD slot
Samsung has a new processor to replace the Exynos 5, so I expect a new Tab S will be out soon

Nexus 9 (October 2014)
manufactured for Google by HTC
$399 WiFi only, 16 GB storage
$599 WiFi and LTE, 32 GB
8.9 inch 2048x1536 pixel display, 4:3 aspect ratio
NVIDIA Tegra K1 64 bit dual core processor, 2.3 GHz
2 GB RAM
16 or 32 GB storage
no microSD memory slot
3 MP front and 8 MP rear cameras
6700 mAh battery
228.2 x 157.7 x 7.9 mm
425 grams (WiFi)

compared to iPad: new fast processor, latest Android 5.0, same size screen
huge battery, may compensate for power-hungry processor

Amazon Fire HDX 8.9
WiFi only, 16 GB storage $394 without ads
WiFi and 4G LTE, 32 GB $529 (ATT or Verizon)
Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 quad core processor, 2.5 GHz
8.9 inch, 2560x1600 pixels, 339 ppi
2 GB RAM; 16, 32 or 64 GB storage
8 MP rear facing camera
dimensions 231 mm x 158 mm x 7.8 mm
Mayday 24x7x365 online personal assistance
Amazon Prime free one year membership
Fire OS 4.0 (modified version of Android 4.)
free unlimited online storage for photos and Amazon content

Scott Brady

Founder
Stephanie has a Galaxy tab. It is ok, but entirely awkward to use and navigate. Battery life is also pretty poor.

I do like the concept of the Surface. If it had GPS, I would probably just buy one to try it out.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Surface Pro 2 has an LTE version. It should have navigation support.

There are several external GPS units that can attach to the Surface Pro 3 via the USB port.

Apple sees the Surface Pro as worthy competition. There are many reports of an iPad with a 12.5 inch screen coming in early 2015.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My iPad2 is coming to the end of its useful life, so I'm going to be shopping for something new soon.

I'd really like to go with an android tablet (been using android phones for years) but just not sure that they are quite there yet...

robgendreau

Explorer
My iPad2 is coming to the end of its useful life, so I'm going to be shopping for something new soon.

I'd really like to go with an android tablet (been using android phones for years) but just not sure that they are quite there yet...

Depends on what you need, of course. I have a more recent iPad (hard to keep track; think it's gen 4). I've gone to a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 instead of the new iPad Mini. I love the smaller size. And I REALLY love the connectivity. I can use OTG USB to copy to and from SD cards, which makes photo storage and management SO much easier than the iPad. The screen is better (this is a discontinued Tab model; the newer ones have AMOLED which looks even better); I can see it outside more easily. I can use any old bluetooth GPS, but it also has GPS built in (still a no-go with Apple's wiif iPads). I can even use ethernet with it, which is fantastic. Android, at least for my uses, has caught up with iOS in terms of app availability; not too much difference. I'd say that spec wise it's slower, esp slower than the new iPads I'd bet. But I don't do much besides photos and nav, and haven't noticed much diff in day to day use.

Check 'em out. There might be some killer features (for me it was the USB).

haven

Expedition Leader
There's no consensus among bloggers on the subject of upgrading to the latest iPad. Many feel their older models work well enough.

In my case, I think the faster processor, more RAM, cheaper expansion memory (64 GB for the old price of 32 GB), and the Touch ID are telling me to list my iPad 3 (the first Retina model) on Craigslist.

Local price for a 16GB iPad 3 with WiFi only (original owner, excellent condition, with box) is about $250, or roughly half of what I paid two and a half years ago. Similar models with WiFi plus Cellular modem (needed for map and navigation apps) cost about $300.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I've already decided to sell the iPad air I just bought :rolleyes: I made the mistake of getting the 16g...which is fine if you want Music + apps and games...or nav/maps...but not all 3. I need an ipad that can both navigate me off road and placate a 2yr old in the back of a truck for 8 hours as we drive somewhere.

If you only need it to nav and do web functions and some other light duty stuff, the 16g is fine. But if you want it to do all of its functionality simultaneously, 16 isnt enough....

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a pretty good article from the NY Times that highlights why, and why not, to buy the iPad Air 2. The reviewer says the Air 2 is the fastest, thinnest, most powerful tablet ever made, iPad or Android. The question is, Do you need to spend $500 or more to meet your tablet needs? There are plenty of less expensive models, including last year's iPad Air for $100 less, that meet most people's requirements.

And do you really need a tablet at all? Between a smartphone with a large screen and a laptop computer, most people's needs are covered.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/t...i-3-review-one-thumb-up-and-another-down.html

In my particular circumstances, I prefer a tablet to phone and laptop for 90% of my computing. And my 2 year old iPad 3 is getting long in the tooth. So the iPad Air 2 is looking attractive. My wife has her iPhone with her constantly. If it were waterproof, I bet she would take it into the shower. She doesn't use a tablet except to play a game or two. So a new iPad is not on her Christmas list.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
At this point I'm pretty certain that my next tablet is not going to be made by Apple. I just find it too frustrating, especially after this latest update that broke my itunes and made me had to reinstall everything. I'm happier on the android platform where I feel I have a bit more choice/control.

So what is the up and coming full size tablet of choice for android?

Darwin

Explorer
I don't own one, just ordered a Soney Xperia Z3 compact phone, but the Sony Xperia Z3 tablet looks pretty cool. I believe it is also water and dust resistant. Might be worth a look.

haven

Expedition Leader
At launch, Apple said that three of four cellular carriers in USA had agreed to work with the reprogrammable Apple SIM. ATT, T-Mobile and Sprint were on board, Verizon no.

Now we learn that when you sign up your iPad for a contract as short as one month with ATT, they lock the SIM after all. Apple acknowledged ATT's policy, and said iPad owners could just purchase a new $10 Apple SIM if they want to use another carrier after the contract month is up.

T-Mobile was quick to make fun of ATT.

http://recode.net/2014/10/24/att-co...twork-but-says-switching-carriers-still-easy/

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple has just revealed that the iPad Air 2 will be the only current Apple product that will support split screen multitasking, as permitted with the newly announced iOS 9. The feature is called Split View.
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios9-preview/

The iPad Air 2 is the only iPad or iPhone with 2 GB RAM and the faster three-core A8X processor, which provide enough resources for two apps to be running simultaneously side by side in Split View.

Split View can be seen as a direct response to Microsoft's Surface 3 Pro, which has a laptop-like ability to simultaneously run multiple apps in side by side or overlapping windows. (Certain Android tablets, such as Samsung Galaxy Tab and Note models, have had a split screen feature since 2013. However, only a handful of Samsung-modified apps support the multi-tasking feature.) IBM, Apple's partner for developing business-oriented applications, probably played a role in developing Split View.

Split View makes it more likely that Apple will announce an iPad with a larger screen. (Call it iPad Pro.) Since the Surface Pro 3 has a 12 inch, 2160x1440 pixel screen, I expect a larger iPad to have a similar screen. IPads currently use a 2048x1536 pixel screen. The larger iPad probably will use a next-generation Apple-designed processor. Apple usually announced new iPad models in September, so we won't have long to wait to learn what hardware Apple thinks is optimal for iOS 9.

Lesser iPads and iPhones will be able to use the Slide Over feature of iOS9, which I understand to suspend one app while you switch to a second app. You can do this with iOS 8 by clicking twice on the Home button and selecting the app you want to switch to. Slide Over makes this more convenient.

The Picture in Picture feature of iOS9 allows you to run FaceTime or a video in a small window that overlays another app. This feature should work in most iPads and iPhones sold in the last two years.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Stephanie has a Galaxy tab. It is ok, but entirely awkward to use and navigate. Battery life is also pretty poor.

I do like the concept of the Surface. If it had GPS, I would probably just buy one to try it out.

Scott, I am using the asus version of the surface, I have GPS, amazing battery life, windows 8.1 and a full keyboard etc. Its worth every penny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles