Looking to buy a Dual Sport to use on a hitch mount for the Airstream

peekay

Adventurer
XR is a pain to kickbstart. DRZ is reliable and an updated version of the XR. I now have a KLX 250 and it has 75% of the power and weight of the DRZ. Great for tighter trails.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies and input, I am going to go with the XR 400 as it seems the most reasonable choice across all the categories. I figure its better to buy a little cheaper bike and spend some money on good riding gear that I can take from bike to bike. If the XR proves itself, awesome, if not no harm no foul. As for hitch mounting it, I am not worried with either choice as my buddy hauls both (not at the same time) on a hitch mount on the back of his 2001 F150 Super-Crew. When I get out to Cali to have the suspension upgraded at Agile I will have him add the appropriate helper spring and valve the shocks accordingly. As for my intended use, mostly service/fire roads, CBCDR, and a bit of double track,no more than 125-50 miles in a day, 99% single rider, maybe an occasional double up for a short distance to get out of a campsite without having to dismantle the whole thing! And a side note to the starting issue with the XR, the PO has already installed the pumper carb kit for it, fires up 1-2 kick.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I suggested the XR400 because the question was "XR400 or KTM 690?" and I stand by that choice for a 'knock-around, haul on the hitch bike.' Water cooling is reliable but heavy. Radiators are vulnerable, expensive, and can strand you if damaged. Suzuki DR350SEX is my dual sport of choice. Good suspension, air cooled, magic button, 6 speed, good power to weight (310 lbs). It all depends on how and where you want to ride. YMMV

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the replies and input, I am going to go with the XR 400 as it seems the most reasonable choice across all the categories. I figure its better to buy a little cheaper bike and spend some money on good riding gear that I can take from bike to bike. If the XR proves itself, awesome, if not no harm no foul. As for hitch mounting it, I am not worried with either choice as my buddy hauls both (not at the same time) on a hitch mount on the back of his 2001 F150 Super-Crew. When I get out to Cali to have the suspension upgraded at Agile I will have him add the appropriate helper spring and valve the shocks accordingly. As for my intended use, mostly service/fire roads, CBCDR, and a bit of double track,no more than 125-50 miles in a day, 99% single rider, maybe an occasional double up for a short distance to get out of a campsite without having to dismantle the whole thing! And a side note to the starting issue with the XR, the PO has already installed the pumper carb kit for it, fires up 1-2 kick.

Good choice for your reasons given.

Although you couldn't give me that bike for free, because it doesn't at all suit my dual sport needs.

You're gonna gave fun.:ylsmoke:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My E-250 has an Eckhart motorcycle carrier. It was on the truck when I got it. It was originally for one bike, but someone welded on some extra channel steel and made it hold two bikes.

Weight is not an issue, because the way this thing is made, it slides into TWO 2" receivers. There are two receivers welded to the frame in front, and two in the rear, so the carrier can be used either/or. The 2" solid steel mounting bars are long and have holes cross-drilled in a couple of places, so the rack can be slid in tight when not in use, and slid out a ways when being used.

It does not "rock" side to side at all.

Eventually the truck will die, but I'll be keeping that bike rack.

Pics taken the day I bought the truck:

attachment.php
attachment.php

And an early morning shot, loaded and heading out:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 158
  • recievers.jpg
    recievers.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 158
  • xt-200-on-back.jpg
    xt-200-on-back.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I had a 2009 KTM 690R for 4 years. It was my only transportation for almost 2 years of that. I put 21,000 miles on it...19,000 of those in that first year and a half. I had luggage racks and side cases on it along with a renazco racing seat (absolutely necessary) and could ride 8 hours in relative but windy comfort. The bike was absolutely amazing. Never left me stranded...never had any major issues with it. I sold it to buy a KTM 500EXC because I wanted something lighter that was more singletrack oriented. I got what I wanted but question whether or not it was the best decision for what I like about DS riding. I really miss the 690. The 690 is light (for a big bore) at 315ish pounds and very smooth for a big-bore thumper (counter balance shaft). It weighs about the same as a Yamaha WR250 dual sport with way more power. The XR bikes are 'bullet proof', I guess. But my experience with the 690 says it's a 'get on and ride' motorcycle. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles (per KTM's specs) and had the valves checked every once in a while. A new air filter here and there...gas and tires. That's pretty much it. No carbs to mess with. No choke, no issues starting or running properly at any altitude or any temperature. The riding position of the XR bikes is archaic by comparison too. They feel old...even the newest ones. And they aren't light for their displacement.

To me, motorcycles are purely emotional and you should get the one that feels right when you ride it. If you are the kind of person that is calculated about what your motorcycle's purpose is, then I can't help you. :)

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
the XR400 is the way to go between those two bikes. The KTM is a hotrod but brings with it exponentially more maintenance. The DRZ400 mentioned is less reliable than the XR in stock form and is water-cooled, which means more maintenance. That XR sounds well setup and time-tested. They are stone reliable and very simple machines with long service lives and broad aftermarket parts availability. My .02.

Not true (except the hotrod part) in my experience. This is a common misconception with KTM's. They don't take much maintenance. They are quite well built. A lot of people get scared because the manuals show super short intervals for oil changes, valve adjustments, etc. Those numbers are based on racing...not riding. Big difference. The 690 is especially easy to keep up considering it's unusually long oil change intervals of 3000 miles.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I am not frightened by short service intervals but to ignore them is folly. By that logic my diesel SuperDuty only needs oil changes according to schedule when towing (racing KTM comparison) but not when commuting? To adjust scheduled maintenance to what's convenient is not a risk I abide. KTMs maintenance schedules on the 690, if I recall correctly, start oil changes at 600 miles then 3100 OR after every race but there are 2 filters and 2 screens involved, while valve checks are 6k and of the shim variety, so much less fun than the screw style and the catalytic converter on my bike got H O T HOT. XR is just more my style between the two bikes and more appropriate to haul for an in-camp and back to town ride in my opinion

Last edited:

ohpyramids

Adventurer
If you just want to put around- look into a wr250r. Fuel injected and electric start. Can find 2008+ for $3000. Exceptional light weight adv bike. If you're a speed demon- go Ktm.

Jb1rd

Explorer
OK, now that I have the bike, (I went with the XR and it turns out it is an 01 for $2500 I'll post pics next weekend after our ride) what is the best hitch mount and one that doesn't wobble????? It would be nice to put it up front if need be too. I have seen some that have extra receiver tubes welded on either side of the main center tube, it def seems bomber but also a little over kill, is there something that can be done for a single mounting point???

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Can you use this with an extension? My spare tire is door mounted now and will be Bumper mounted this summer when I get my upgrade.

I'm not sure. Guessing most of the hitch haulers aren't going to come out and say it's ok to run and extension. Because some dipsheet somewhere will build a 48" long extension then wonder why his goldwing ripped the hitch off his rusty 89 F150

How long of an extension do you think you would need to run?

Jb1rd

Explorer
First ride on the XR today

Went for the maiden voyage today, we did a 150 mile loop, a pretty even mix of dirt roads and pavement. She preformed well and I only dropped it once :sombrero: No I gotta find that hitch mount!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior