Looking to buy a Dual Sport to use on a hitch mount for the Airstream

Jb1rd

Explorer
I posted over in the Adventure Moto section but they do not seem very active over there and I figured that you all probably have some experience with this topic; I am looking at a dual sport that I can hitch mount as well as use around the Colorado Back Country Discovery Routes, these are the 2 I am focused on, a Honda XR 400 and a KTM 690, (Other possibilities are 650 KLR, XR or DR)
So here goes, a good friend has both and has offered to sell me the 400 it is a 99 or 2000 with some great mods, bigger tank, better seat, steering dampener, triple crown shocks, new pegs, tuned and has an aftermarket speedo, for $2500 or I have been searching the 690's and the cheapest I can find one for is around $5500, when you are lucky enough that is, otherwise upwards of $8k and beyond. Yes it is a much newer bike 08-09 vs 99-00 but what are things I should be aware of. I have heard more than a few people say that the XR is damn near bullet proof, and I have heard that the KTM although a little more wrench heavy is a REALLY nice bike. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
(size and weight wise I think they are close enough as to not be a factor for hitch hauling)

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
It will all come down to your budget. XR 400s are great bikes. How is it plated? As I recall they were never available as a factory street legal bike. That is a issue in some states much more then others.
If it's in good shape 2500 is fair. 2k is about as low a price as you will ever find a relatively modern dual sport, they kind of bottom out in price there.

Another bike to look out for would be a drz 400. That would be somewhere between the two bikes you are currently considering.

Me personally I like the exotic euro stuff.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I rode a 650 Funduro for years. It was a good size for me @ 6'4".

For around town and trails I'd buy a <400, here it's 1/2 the insurance cost... Also smaller, lighter and more maneuverable. My favorite dual purpose I played with was a 330(?) Pampera Gas Gas, it was a street legal trials bike that could crawl slower than grandma... :)

Jb1rd

Explorer
The 400 is already plated and street legal, as for condition it is in good to very good condition for the age, my buddy was building it to drive down to Coasta Rica when the opportunity to buy a 690 at a great price came up. After seeing them side by side the KTM seems like a nicer bike but it is also 9 years newer. I like the reliability factor of the XR and the fact that it seems like parts and mechanics are much more readily available and cheaper.
It will all come down to your budget. XR 400s are great bikes. How is it plated? As I recall they were never available as a factory street legal bike. That is a issue in some states much more then others.
If it's in good shape 2500 is fair. 2k is about as low a price as you will ever find a relatively modern dual sport, they kind of bottom out in price there.

Another bike to look out for would be a drz 400. That would be somewhere between the two bikes you are currently considering.

Me personally I like the exotic euro stuff.

Sea.Jay

Observer
drz400 is the present day water cooled version of the xr400. bullet proof. do your oil changes and keep your filter clean and itll run forever with little to no other maintenance other than tires and brakes.

xr400 is old school with outdated geometry. constant 60mph sucks. but, they will take a beating (and run without oil for HOURS)..ask me how i know.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
the XR400 is the way to go between those two bikes. The KTM is a hotrod but brings with it exponentially more maintenance. The DRZ400 mentioned is less reliable than the XR in stock form and is water-cooled, which means more maintenance. That XR sounds well setup and time-tested. They are stone reliable and very simple machines with long service lives and broad aftermarket parts availability. My .02.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Don't forget about the Yamaha XT's pretty basic and reliable bikes as well. My two 600's have been awesome. If you require reliablity I'd look to the air cooled bikes they are more simplistic in nature (less to fail). The water cooled bikes make more power though.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Opinions being like azzholes and all, guys the 70's are over. Considering a water cooled bike less reliable then an air cooled this day in age is ridiculous. All of the aircooled offering available are extremely outdated relics with crap suspension. Depending on what the OP wants to do with the bike that may or may not matter.

There is a HUGE difference between a KTM 690 and a XR 400. In price, performance and maintenance.

OP maybe if you could answer a couple questions it would help us narrow down the search
1.Budget
2.What type of trails/roads do you want to ride on
3.What is more important to you reliability and simplicity or performance

All dual sport bikes are a compromise none do everything perfectly. So deciding where you are most willing to make a compromise is the best starting point.

You could also take this conversation over to adv rider but I have a feeling it would end up 1000000 pages long and you would never be any closer to a decision :sombrero:

coguzzi

Adventurer
ill weigh in on this since ive tried most of the dual sport offerings out there over the years and dealt with how to effectively transport them as well. my ford E350 was set up to carry one dirt bike inside and one on the back (dirt bikes though).

anyway, what do you really want to do with the bike, just dirt/fire roads or single track? if your looking for more technical ability, the 690 will be on the large side. but if your mixing in some slab 2 up, them probably the better choice. I do feel they are pushing the weight envelope for a hitch carrier though, right at the limit (i know people carry their 990 adventures around, but........

The XR400 is truely a bullit proof bike, and ive had a couple--plated. what i dont like about those bikes is how difficult they are to start, need to find top dead center and kick just right and cross your fingers. when stalled hot in a rock garden were a real PITA to start. my days of kick start only bikes are over, i love the magic buttons.

ive owned XR's, NX125's, NX250's, DR350's which was a great bike (never owned a 400 unfortunately), XT225, KLX250s, honda transalp, slew of KLR650's, and a handful of different plated dirt bikes. my sweet spot for a true dual sport is my current KTM640 adventure. that said i think its borderline to heavy for a hitch carrier and a true handful in the technical stuff for me (not enough time to stay in good riding shape). so it is comparable to the 690 somewhat, lil heavier, but 690 would be balanced better with underseat tank. 7 gallons of fuel up top is really heavy.

Me and my wife do both have plated dirt bikes, which might be more what you are after, my bike is a KTM450exc, rides single track awesome and can still blast down the tarmac. the oil capacity in dirtbikes never makes them a true dual sport in my opinion, wouldnt want to do a 300 mile slab day onit, but for exploring a great option

OK, totally different direction, but my camping rig of choice is actually a honda CT110 trail. light (but heavy for what it is actually), dual range transfer case, can ride 2 up to explore etc. honestly the laughs per cc we get out of this thing are through the roof. just spent last weekend in western CO on it and my face hurt from laughing so hard.

that said i am also rethinking everything in my stable. i might pick up another XT225 to replace the ct110 since its only 30lbs heavier, 2 up capable and a better tarmac machine to run into town or what ever. Then im considering selling our plated dirt bikes since we only had time to get out once this year ad getting something that falls in the middle of my dirt bike and my 640 adventure (which i will never sell). want something i can comfortably ride to the trail (dirt bike is not) and still do some single track with out working myself over to hard. I to have looked at the 690 enduro (even the 950 super enduro to go totally crazy) but am honestly leaning towards the Husqvarna TE610, cheaper, lil lighter and has excellent reviews. I am really a KTM guy, but i like my husky chain saws to--ha. DRZ400 is good as well, or the KLX250s is a great bike, its my wife dual sport and never skips a beat.

PS, shameless plug--ktm 450exc plated is probably for sale--and i am in CO--ha

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
All dual sport bikes are a compromise none do everything perfectly. So deciding where you are most willing to make a compromise is the best starting point.
Indeed. All depends on use. I'd go with the DRZ400 (or something similar, the KTM450, KLX250, etc.) personally, anything bigger or more complex is only worth it if you're going to use it on pavement and carry lots of stuff for multiple days. If it's for day trips and occasional overnighters the DRZ seems just about perfect to me.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Also consider the BMW XChallenge if you can find one. Capable offroad and can run the pavement easily. Fuel injected and gets exceptional mileage. But probably the biggest benefit for you would be the ability of the fuel injection to handle the elevation changes.

I ran a carbureted Ducati and a couple of BSAs when I lived in Denver and setting those up for a trip up the mountains was challenging.

jkam

nomadic man
For me, it is the Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa. I carry one on my class C with a custom hitch and it has been perfect for my usage.
280 lbs. wet and very reliable getting 75 mpg and the ability to carry a load with the proper racks.
I'm 5'9" 175 and it fits me just right.

If I was to go more modern, I would probably go with the Yamaha WR 250, it seems to do most everything well enough.

Any more than that in weight will not be fun on your *** end.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have an old Honda Trans Alp, and it fits the bill for your intended purpose as near as I can tell. I have carried KTM 640 and as big as a 1150GS as you intend, and lighter is waaaaay better.

As stated above, dual purpose by definition means it does neither task perfectly, so find one that leans toward the desired and most often utilized intentions.

philos

Explorer
I own an XR (XR650R), have ridden/owned XR400, DRZ400, EXC450. I LOVE my XR, but it's kick start and can be a PITA to start sometimes (I'm 40 now and sometimes find myself longing for a magic button). DRZ is super comfy and very user friendly, simple maintenance, could be a bit better in open desert but I'm spoiled by my XR. I've ridden a friend's EXC several times and I would love to own one...It rode single track with ease and was a blast both times I rode it in the desert. I can't speak to maintenance on the EXC, but I haven't heard him complain about it at all.
Again, lots of opinions but I'd say to go with the DRZ or try and find an EXC if you can swing the price tag. Unless you're cool with kick starters, then get an XR400.

Maybe see if you can borrow a couple and see for yourself which one meshes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior