2nd Gen Tundra Differential Problems

amo292

Adventurer
So I ventured to the dealership today and got the opinion of the tech guy who did my truck initially. After putting around the parking lot he came to the conclusion that it was my semi aggressive tires. I knew it wasn't that, but of course the grinding wasn't there in its full force when he was driving (already warmed up). After talking a bit he kind of retracted that statement saying the issue may be coming back but only noticeable in the cold because the lower fluid viscosity. We decided to keep an eye on through the winter and he will take a closer look at when I come back for my 5k service. Till then he gave me my word that the truck won't leave me stranded without 4x4!

What are your thoughts?

I also got distracted and drove the brand new TRD PRO Tundra that had just arrived on the lot. You can see my thoughts here.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/133832-TRD-PRO-Tundra-Test-Drive-Review

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 5.53.53 PM.jpgIMG_0074.jpg

Last edited:

PaintRock

Adventurer
Is the front differential a well-known weakness of the current generation Tundras? I thought Toyota over-built the pumpkins and suspension on these, at least, in comparison to other half-tons currently on the market?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Is the front differential a well-known weakness of the current generation Tundras? I thought Toyota over-built the pumpkins and suspension on these, at least, in comparison to other half-tons currently on the market?

Yes the rear end is pretty solid. Can't say much bout their front diffs tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amo292

Adventurer
PaintRock the front diff is a well known problem in the earlier years of the 2nd gen tundras. When I first started looking into the issue it was well documented on other forms and covered by a toyota service bulletin.

The rear end is super solid minus the rear leafs. They tend to sag over time.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Maybe be even later than 2016 with the recent release of the TRD pro line. I think Toyota is trying to run the current gen as long as they can...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amo292

Adventurer
So I brought the truck in for its 5k service and had them check it out while it was on the lift. The guys were great and went out of their way for me. They put the truck up on the lift and ran it side by side with another tundra to compare noises and feelings. After draining the fluid he noted that it was darker than it should be after 5k miles but there was no metal specs in it. They concluded that everything is good to go for now but it is something that we can keep an eye on as the miles increase.

I do believe that they will keep the current tundra around for awhile but I think that they are going to have to change it or drop it completely with the upcoming fuel efficiency standards.

Surprisingly enough they still have the pro and actually added a second one to the showroom. They don't seem to be selling the new ones as fast as I thought. I think people are realizing its a 7 year old design trying to compete with the new guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94